Prototypes, Experimentals, World Firsts & Record Breakers GB Chat

Hello Alexey,

The first post here was 30th of June 2016.

I am very sadly not sure how much I will be able to oversee this, and other  GB's I'm involved with this year.

This is a shame for this one in particular as it has personal relevance (Burt Munro), and is also my joint favourite modelling theme.

I am currently able to post as much as everyone can see I'm posting on BM.

I love it here, but my health has not been my friend for some time.

I want to thank you Alexey (Pin) for all your support through this.

If it becomes too much and we have to call this GB off, I will go with that. It's not fair to expect one bloke to do it all.

All the best 

TonyT

• Like 6

Thank you very much folks :).

I'm a lot better than some months ago. It's a variable thing and sometimes I hit a wall.

There are many on BM that are the same or worse, quite a few with unusual conditions. There's more than this strand of frustrating health that we have in common. 

There's modelling itself :thumbsup2: .

My 'difference' is genetic. As a kid I often spent up to, cumulatively, four months a year in hospital, many other weeks stuck indoors on bed rest. Sometimes quite happily on a sofa on the lounge.

This was when first Lego, then plastic modelling (along reading, listening to the radio and a bit of TV) showed themselves to be such fantastic pastimes.

Making models was just superb for making threats go by, sharpening the old noggin with a bit of problem solving, a bit of a challenge, and improving skills as diverse as motor skills and even languages.

How many of us native English speakers knew that e.g. the word for 'black' was also 'noir' in French and 'schwartz' in German thanks to multi lingual kit instructions? Great and subtle stuff.

The sense of satisfaction from completing a model was also always great, stuck in the house, feeling a bit useless, at the age of 10, to have achieved a decent (ish) mottle on the Matchbox 1/72 and-109E was a good feeling.:).

We have a great hobby. I know kids these days benifit from social

media and technology and so on, but our hobby did what we needed, for us. I hope it isn't lost.

Moreover through the twists and turns of the technology thing, our little quiet hobby has brought us together in great forums like this. 

This has to be the forum on the internet with the kindest people one could hope to meet. Lots of honesty, always encouragement, just a great bunch.

We're all of us a bit creaky in one way or another and no-one gets younger as time passes, but the empathy here in this forum is amazing. The encouragement to keep on with with modelling, an essentially therapeutic pursuit, always is there.

We're a very lucky bunch of people to have been introduced to this hobby and each other :).

All best regards and a happy weekend

TonyT

• Like 7

On 1/28/2017 at 6:18 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

We're all of us a bit creaky in one way or another and no-one gets younger as time passes, but the empathy here in this forum is amazing. The encouragement to keep on with with modelling, an essentially therapeutic pursuit, always is there.

We're a very lucky bunch of people to have been introduced to this hobby and each other :).

Amen to that, mate. The support I've been given by members of this forum while I've been fighting my battle with lymphoma is amazing. It's one of the reasons why I've been able to keep such a positive attitude through the whole thing. What's even more amazing is that I've never even met most of you - I think there are just a handful of you that I know personally. You are all such a great group to be associated with!   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if it would be acceptable to join with this one:

Triton09.jpg

It is already started, but most work was only done while trying to tame a badly warped fuselage, forcing parts to fit like tamigawa.

Triton01.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CarLos said:

I wonder if it would be acceptable to join with this one:

It is already started, but most work was only done while trying to tame a badly warped fuselage, forcing parts to fit like tamigawa.

Yes, absolutely

23 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Here's one I made earlier.

I didn't use sticky-backed plastic and round nosed scissors...  :lol:

P1127-010s.jpg

That's a very nice model Enzo. What did you use as the base kit?

No sticky back plastic? I bet you used a pair of Val's old knickers to polish the transparency :D!

All the best

TT

• 4 weeks later...

Would this be applicable? It's not the first man in space, but the first american in space, allthough the kit doesn't contain any specific markings of Shepards flight.

Mercury001_zpsinomxlqz.jpg

I found this in my LHS and just had to have it! :D

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

PS - Just found out that the kit actually HAS markings for Freedom 7 - Alan Shepard and Liberty Bell 7 - Gus Grissom

Edited by HansReggelsen
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Oh dear, another GB coming up fast!  Maybe I can dust off my Spiteful prototype (NN660), but lots of candidates.

It's almost here! Yay :). Go for it gingerbob, looking forward to your build.

Best regards

TonyT

1 hour ago, Radleigh said:

This should fit the bill nicely, but I won't be building this one, but one of the others if I can find them!

32400819144_647ebf9761_b.jpg

This looks like it  might be one of your recent amazing haul? Very envious, rare as hen's teeth. I've never seen one built.

The artwork on the header card is stunningly effective :thumbsup2: .

Do you have another SR 53 that you'll be building?

All the best

TonyT

Oh bugger!

I just discovered that the marking alternative of my Yak-23 that I want to build is not the one used for the record attempt in 1957.

That one is quite dull compared to red tulips and lightnings...

Can I join anyway, or just wait until From Russia with love?

hmmm I hadn't intended to join this build but I have just "acquired" a Collect-Aire X-15A-2! 

Depending on time (will be away for 7 weeks bobbing around on a Gas platform being towed to Oz) and other builds, but I may just have to join the fun. 

It should be an reasonably straight forward build even though it's a resin model, not sure which scheme as wore two, the plain black one for her initial flights (plus how she is now in the museum) or in her later white Ablative scheme which she set all her records in. Have plenty of time to think about it and research her a bit more.

• Like 1

It would be good to have you on board Rich :).

Im fascinated by the gas platform! Take care whilst bobbing about on that thing. I guess it's not coming to Lake Burley Griffin :lol:?

TonyT

• Like 1