Prototypes, Experimentals, World Firsts & Record Breakers GB Chat

Thanks Helios! :thumbsup: 

Any ideas on what your subject will be?

Only hours to go; if anyone really fancies a go are building something out of the ordinary, this a great GB proposal for that.

Please give us a vote.

Meanwhile thanks to PIN for the early merger, that has helped all of us so much, and thanks to all of you for your fantastic and varied ideas. :thanks: !

If we get through this will be great fun with a great gallery and lots to learn both in terms of modelling, and of the history of each subject.

Thanks for your votes folks!

Heres to a great Christmas and a Record Breakers Prototypical First Group Build tastic 2017!

:thumbsup: 

TonyT

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

what can possibly go wrong   :poo:

Lots! Lots can go wrong, :D !

Don't worry we'll all be there giving encouragement ;) .

It's all in the 'having a go'. I'll probably end up making that flipping motorsikkel out of bamboo and cocktail sticks at this rate :frantic: .

Vac forms are great, I found a box full in the stash this weekend. I've only ever finished two; a vac/multi-media Thunderbird one and a 1/72 LaGG 3. The latter was more work than the former, but for both I really liked the end result.

Vac somehow can look more to scale. Now a full resin kit is something I've never built. Lots in the stash. A bit concerned that they may warp in heat when on display?

It wasn't a problem when I lived in Argyll & Bute! :confused: .

We're in 9th as far as I can see, clinging on like an elephant hanging over a cliff with its tail wrapped round a daisy :o !

Will we make it? :bounce: ?

ATB

TonyT

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Lots! Lots can go wrong, :D !

Don't worry we'll all be there giving encouragement ;) .

Vac somehow can look more to scale. Now a full resin kit is something I've never built. Lots in the stash. A bit concerned that they may warp in heat when on display?

It wasn't a problem when I lived in Argyll & Bute! :confused: .

ATB

TonyT

Thanks Tony

Cant see why you moved away from Argyll, unless it's the 9 months of heavy rain followed by the other 3 months of showers, which is why we use enamel paint and submerge our builds in Klear !  :raincloud:

oh nearly forgot the midges :doh:

cheers Pat

• Like 1

I loved it in Argyll Pat :) .

I must have been lucky as I remember nice warm days enjoying a beer on the banks of Loch Lomond, often at the Duck Bay Marina. :beer: 

I do remember, however, and don't miss, those flipping midges :o !

That said, there's an infinite variety of biting, stinging things down here in upside down land.

Now there's an opportunity for a model of a record breaker: the box jellyfish!

Apparently the most painful sting one can receive on the planet :frantic: !

ATB

TonyT

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

It's cruel to keep jellyfish in boxes...   :analintruder: 

:jelly::fish: Free! They're free! :D !

We did it folks! Just! I'll contact Alexey (PIN) and we'll look at time slots.

Time for a celebratory cup

of tea or a beer :beer: , maybe even a pie :pie: .

We deserve it :) 

Thanks again for all of your votes, support and ideas, this one will be really unusual and fun .

All the best

TonyT

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

It's cruel to keep jellyfish in boxes...   :analintruder: 

Not if they're pickled in aspic formaldehyde. If you do that, they don't feel no pain.

One of nature's serious nasties, the box jellyfish is. That said, they kill/injure a lot less people every year than people manage on their own, so maybe people should be put into jars and have the lids screwed down tight instead?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CliffB said:

I'm glad now that I didn't melt my old Airmodel He.119 down for scrap.

Great subject Cliff! Fascinating aircraft, look forward to that one.

And congratulations Tony on getting this up.  I've yet to participate in a group build, but it seems my timing is spot on - what a great theme to hook into!

• Like 2

As an interested party in one of the two original proposals before the merger, I'm very glad to see that this GB made it through the poll, the last minutes of voting were really tense...

Looking forward to a confirmed date now ! I'm already thinking of some potential entries.. would a prototype Tomcat be eligible ?

• Like 1

Very pleased to see this one made the cut, but deciding what to build will be difficult - I've got way too many builds in mind - including, but not limited to: Prone position Meteor, ACT Jaguar, a NASA F-15, a Ferranti Canberra, the RAE's Gnat, a Lancaster engine testbed and a MiG-23PD. If I'm not careful the GB will be over before I've decided.

• Like 1

:yahoo:Great this gone through! If this would only take a full year. The hardest part will be to decide which kit to build. High on my list is the Avro Arrow and a whole X-1 family. All in 1:72. My wild card is Special Hobby X-15 in 1:48 with Hypersonic resin set. But anything can happen. Maybe F-4 Sageburner or Conquest One Bearcat in 1:48. :frantic:Really looking forward to this :thumbsup:

René

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I might have to sneak my early jet into this one, hopefully there's enough cross crediting to let plenty of bods into  group builds they didn't originally support.

Steve.

There certainly is Steve. I had hoped that the early jets would go through too, but there's plenty of scope for early jet prototypes here.

One thing most other GB's have struggled with is rockets and rocket planes/hybrids, but we have scope for that too :) .

Everything from DFS 194 to SpaceShipTwo.

It's a shame that the 'Boom' SST prototypes are so far off.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/business/2016/nov/15/richard-branson-supersonic-flight-virgin-boom%3F0p19G%3De?client=safari

There's something to look forward to :) .

TonyT

• Like 1

3 hours ago, greggles.w said:

Great subject Cliff! Fascinating aircraft, look forward to that one.

And congratulations Tony on getting this up.  I've yet to participate in a group build, but it seems my timing is spot on - what a great theme to hook into!

Thanks Greggles :) .

I can't take all the credit for that, but it's great that we can 'let rip' with our imaginations on this one now :D !

Yes, Cliff with the Airmodel He-119 :o !

It looks good built up on their pages. Valom have an IM kit too.

I have some vacs (some by Airmodel) that I hope to build. I bet I'm not alone? Even though in many cases IM kits have been released, the original investment has been made. They're often not too easy to sell, so why not just enjoy building them?

Tis real modelling :) .

A vac Ju-352 I found this weekend looks a bit scary, but one day, maybe :door: !

The He-119 is really attractive. It reminds me a little of the spacecraft in the Buster Crabbe 1930's Flash Gordon series; themselves very cool models.

T

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

As an interested party in one of the two original proposals before the merger, I'm very glad to see that this GB made it through the poll, the last minutes of voting were really tense...

Looking forward to a confirmed date now ! I'm already thinking of some potential entries.. would a prototype Tomcat be eligible ?

It's a prototype Giorgio so that's fine. There are some aircraft like the He-112 that have a really large run of prototypes.

One would think that e.g, many variations on the He-112 would be out of the question, but examination of the variants shows a very feasible little string of builds.

That's something I know a smidge about, whereas Tomcats I don't, but would like to :). That's one of the good things about this GB; we will get to learn a little about the development of types we're not all familiar with.

All the best

TonyT

PS: Apologies to everyone for multiple single posts, I haven't yet mastered 'multiple quotes' on iOS :shrug: .

Any advice most welcome :) 

T

• Like 1

On 11/26/2016 at 2:43 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

Thanks Helios! :thumbsup: 

Any ideas on what your subject will be?

Glad to see this one squeak through!  :jump_fire:

Still planning the X-1...as I believe that is the only prototype I have in my stash at the moment.  Just hope the timing works out that I can participate.  Though on the flip side...I won't need a lot of time for it!  :lol:

• Like 1