Prototypes, Experimentals, World Firsts & Record Breakers GB Chat

And the "first" that comes straight to my mind.

I'll dig a bit latter.

First Mach 1 buster.

bell_x10.jpg

First operationnal tilt rotor

osprey10.jpg

First (and only) USN Vietnam ace

phanto11.jpg

First USN post-Vietnam kill

tomcat12.jpg

First USN MiG-23 kill

tomcat13.jpg

World first AIM-9 shooter MiG killers

sabre_10.jpgรน

sabre_10.jpg

European first Mach 2 Nuclear bomber

photo_33.jpg

• Like 1

There are some great subjects there Antoine :thumbsup2: I wouldn't know where to begin :o! The Shusui appeals a lot as I'm a big fan of rocket planes. I also like the Focke Wulf Moskito a lot.

I think the Hasegawa kit allows maybe more than one prototype to be built; the V4?

I was reading about these only recently; They 'could' have been fine, but as with so many wartime Luftwaffe projects, they couldn't get the engines they wanted and it ended up underpowered.

Then, I believe due to supply problems (following bombing), they couldn't get the right glue for the wood and the aircraft began to delaminate. This was the same, suggested to actually be destructive, glue that was responsible for a number of He-162 aircraft also delaminating. :S

The tilt-rotor is cool, it would have to be a prototype. I'm surprised we've had no auto-gyro volunteers,

6CE4B24D-53A6-4AAB-96CE-C173A76B7A5D_zps

(Cierva C.6 an Amodel kit can be bashed to make this, there are other ways too involving butchery of an Avro biplane :D).

or maybe a gyrodyne like the Fairey Rotodyne?

BB6F5BF6-8F78-42A7-9842-7946550B6525_zps

(Revell or Airfix can help here)

Then again, if we fancy flying saucers, the Avrocar (kitted by Fly):

9585F77B-B6FD-4504-B544-9FAD6DC62BD3_zps

Also, on the subject of unusual prototypes kitted by Fly, how about the Rotachute?

538E70CD-1053-4246-AB78-7D9D0279D965_zps

A7EFB287-FE7A-415C-A4EC-3AC9DF884FB2_zps

Meanwhile here's my wife's grandad -it's all his fault I suggested this Group Build ; anyone fancy making a motorbike :D?

E7C2DC9A-69E8-4098-97B6-A4F82519D9C4_zps

Have fun folks, let's push the barriers!

Best regards

Tony

• Like 2

I've been chatting about this elsewhere, but I figure it's eligible for this GB:

panzerfaehre-landwasserschlepper-ii-4.jp

Good grief Sarge..what's is it? Some kind of landing craft? It looks like something Thunderbird 2 would carry in a pod (in the Nazi Germany version of 'ThunderBirds': 'Donnervรถgel aus Mรผnchen') ;)

ATB

Tony

• Like 1

How would you stand on this:

heinkel-he-100-fighter-1.jpg

They were all essentially prototypes and they have a great backstory.....It's also one of the most beautiful piston engined aircraft ever IMHO even if it was on completely the wrong side. :fuhrer:

• Like 1

Thanks Antoine :)! That instruction sheet has a lot of information. So, the 'Tego Film' glue factory had been bombed and destroyed. The only substitute glue, 'Dynamit' firstly only half as strong, and secondly rotted the tail of the aircraft off. No wonder it was called Dynamite :o!

So, a whole aircraft project was abandoned due to lack of glue.

Sounds like my stalled Amodel 'Atlant' project :confused:

DB912CAC-FB49-47FE-937D-61B45C7D275F_zps

Best regards

Tony

How would you stand on this:

heinkel-he-100-fighter-1.jpg

They were all essentially prototypes and they have a great backstory.....It's also one of the most beautiful piston engined aircraft ever IMHO even if it was on completely the wrong side. :fuhrer:

As you say Sarge, it never entered series production. It would be nice to see one of the 6 ( or is it 7?) actual prototypes modelled but essentially I have no problem with one of the 19 or so propoganda/pre series planes, Pin?

That picture, and others like it, were all propoganda/disinformation pics. I believe a squadron of prototypes/pre-production was formed but never saw combat, but don't quote me on that. :shrug:.

I think some prototypes were sent to Russia, what happened then I don't know, it seems a difficult aircraft to research.

I agree, the He 100/113 is clean, mean and attractive. I also think the He112 is a far more attractive aircraft than the BF-109, but I know I could be ostracised for saying that.

There's a nice Special Hobby kit:

AE88114C-CAA5-40AA-9654-3B0FBEDC0FEC_zps

Also an old Lindberg/Revell kit.

Great subject Sarge :)

ATB

Tony

Edited: :sorry: I inserted the wrong photo initially.

I believe Heinkel kept the bulk of the 100s as a point defence squadron for the factory. :pipe:

I've got the newer 1/72 SH kit in the stash and a reasonable book on the subjects, so it's a viable candidate for me.....No doubt I'll come up with zillions more yet (it's a great GB theme). :coolio:

• Like 1

I've got the newer 1/72 SH kit in the stash and a reasonable book on the subjects, so it's a viable candidate for me.....

A new one? Any link, I'm curious?

It's been some time that I look more and more closely at the 1/32 kit.

I'd be in with either one of the white Mirage 2000 (probably C-01) prototypes or a Tornado MRCA prototype (not sure which one but probably P.03)

oh also maybe Rafale C-01, the cool black one!

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 1

I'd be in with either one of the white Mirage 2000 (probably C-01) prototypes or a Tornado MRCA prototype (not sure which one but probably P.03)

oh also maybe Rafale C-01, the cool black one!

Absolutely superb, welcome on board :) Those are all lovely subjects, a hard call to know which is the nicest of a good set. I love the paint schemes on the MRCA prototypes.

I hear you on the (sexy) black Rafale C-01, but I'm also a huge fan of the Mirage 2000 (and Mirages in general).

I feel you may have to build more than one ;)

I'll add you to the list.

Only one to go!!!

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

Antoine-Nice suggestion, I have thought about it before and even owned the Anigrand kit before, however I sold it as I couldn't do it justice at the time when I started the hobby, awesome plane and is another possibility! Mirage IV-02 has always been another Dassault prototype I've wanted to build, probably from the 1/48 kit.

Tony- I'll see which one takes my fancy when the GB comes around, the Tornado P.03 has been on the 'to do' list for a long long time now and I've even gathered all the parts for it already, this GB does seem the perfect reason to make it :). As I say though by the time the GB arrives who knows what will take my fancy but for sure I would love to enter something in the GB, prototypes and development aircraft have always fascinated me!

cheers,

David

• Like 1

Hi Antoine.....The SH 1/72 He.100 I have is the one pictured in Tony's post (the picture wasn't showing when I replied). :coolio:

I had thought SH had released an earlier kit, but it turns out that it was this one, released by MPM, that I was thinking of:

36484SDC16918.JPG

• Like 1

This theme is just too good to pass... I'll be happy to fill the last spot to get this through to voting, being the speed freak I am...

I have plenty in my stash, just a quick pick;

Mercedes T80

Campbell-Railton Bluebird '33

Bluebird K7

Caudron C.561

There's more...

• Like 1

Yay :thumbsup: thanks Bengalensis! What a list too. Mercedes, Caudron 561....:) Yes this is definitely a fun subject and speed freaks are in the right place!

I'll add you to the list.

That makes it 30 folks; I'll contact Enzo and that's us through to the vote :D!

Best regards

Tony

Tony, your involvement has given the idea a real boost!

Thanks Pin :) It's very enjoyable. I'm not done with ideas yet, I'll be posting more here soon.

Best regards

Tony

I'm not sure how this works, but I could contribute with a prototype jet?

Yes, that would be great :thumbsup:. I'll add you to the list. Any particular jet in mind?

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

Another record breaker. This time the Republic X-84H 'Thunderscreech'

This is one that appeals to my sense of humour :mental::fool:

I know I'm warped, but this account from Wikipedia makes me laugh out loud:

"The XF-84H was quite possibly the loudest aircraft ever built (rivaled only by the Russian Tupolev Tu-95 "Bear" bomber[16]), earning the nickname "Thunderscreech" as well as the "Mighty Ear Banger".[17] On the ground "run ups", the prototypes could reportedly be heard 25 miles (40 km) away.[18] Unlike standard propellers that turn at subsonic speeds, the outer 24โ€“30 inches (61โ€“76 cm) of the blades on the XF-84H's propeller traveled faster than the speed of sound even at idle thrust, producing a continuous visible sonic boom that radiated laterally from the propellers for hundreds of yards. The shock wave was actually powerful enough to knock a man down; an unfortunate crew chief who was inside a nearby C-47 was severely incapacitated during a 30-minute ground run.[18] Coupled with the already considerable noise from the subsonic aspect of the propeller and the dual turbines, the aircraft was notorious for inducing severe nausea and headaches among ground crews.[11] In one report, a Republic engineer suffered a seizure after close range exposure to the shock waves emanating from a powered-up XF-84H.[19]"

I would love to have been a fly on the wall, well, with a telescope and ear muffs, at a great distance!

Enjoy :rofl:

Tony

• Like 1