Prototypes, Experimentals, World Firsts & Record Breakers GB Chat

Would prototypes of aircraft that went into mass production be accepted, purely because I've got a hankering to do the one below, I built the Hasegawa 1/72 kit when it first hit the shops, IIRC I bought it in a little model shop in Cleethorpes during a family holiday, and it was one of the first kits that I really went to town with painting etc:

First_YF-18A_Hornet_on_display_in_1978.J

Technically its a pre-production machine not a prototype, but if its acceptable i'm in.

Cheers

Ant

Would prototypes of aircraft that went into mass production be accepted, purely because I've got a hankering to do the one below, I built the Hasegawa 1/72 kit when it first hit the shops, IIRC I bought it in a little model shop in Cleethorpes during a family holiday, and it was one of the first kits that I really went to town with painting etc:

First_YF-18A_Hornet_on_display_in_1978.J

Technically its a pre-production machine not a prototype, but if its acceptable i'm in.

Cheers

Ant

Hi ant. That's lovely subject. It represents a pre-production example and I feel those are ones we have to include. The Me 264 Amerika bomber has similar pre-production status. The early Bf 109's were V models, yet the later ( contentious this) 'A' or 'B1' series were all, in a way, up to at least the 6th airframe, 'pre-production' models. It's just an example. Yup, lovely, on board and many thanks - it would be a handsome build.

Please count me in..

Few ideas I'd like to build.

Bartini Beriev VVA-14

IL-40 'Brawny'

IL-102

Tu-91 'Boot'

Yak-140

Yak-1000

They are lovely propositions. I was recently looking at a Bartini - beautiful aircraft. Yak qualify so often, so many firsts. It almost seems like a soviet version of the German 'Messerschmitt' situation - a favoured constructor in spite of often, designs (HE-280) that would suggest another manufacturer. The Yak 50 is very nice and is a tenuous swept wing jet powered first. If I remember correctly the Yak 30 is the first for this accolade.

You have me looking up the rest! The Tu91 is fascinating.

Great to have you on board - these are all really imaginative and alternative subjects :)

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

Crikey Pin! We really do have so much in common on so many things. I hadn't seen your thread at all - I apologise.

We obviously have many of the same enthusiasms and passions. Can we combine these two threads? Your knowledge of sadly relatively unknown (to the west) Eastern European firsts is second to none. We need that breadth of knowledge.

I'm 100% with joining efforts :)

All best regards

Tony

Some other ideas;

Vickers Vimy [Frog & others] first to fly the Atlantic, can be built oob

Ryan monoplane 'Spirit of St. Louis' - first solo flight of the Atlantic

Lockheed Vega 5b - first woman to fly the Atlantic solo

Cutty Sark - fastest tea clipper afloat

HMS Victory - oldest Royal Naval warship still in commission

RMS Titanic - world's largest ship when launched and in service

RMS Queen Mary - fastest ship across the Atlantic 1936

• Like 1

Please, please do the Ilya Muromets! :pray:

Definitely think this thread should merge with Pin's X-Craft idea.....Massive potential in combination. :thumbsup:

How would the hosts stand on things like this:

$T2eC16JHJF0FFZpt7V-uBSVNihcMPg~~60_12.J

$(KGrHqNHJDcFIzNvJoovBSVNbJZD6!~~60_12.J

$_12.JPG

• Like 1

Hi ant. That's lovely subject. It represents a pre-production example and I feel those are ones we have to include.......

Best regards

Tony

Great stuff, I'm now off to eBay to find me a kit. Hasegawa did it in 1/72 and 1/32 I had both in the stash at one time but both departed in the "great stash reduction" ho hum time to look for another.

Anybody out there have one or other going cheap?

• Like 1

How would the hosts stand on things like this:

$T2eC16JHJF0FFZpt7V-uBSVNihcMPg~~60_12.J

$(KGrHqNHJDcFIzNvJoovBSVNbJZD6!~~60_12.J

$_12.JPG

My opinion, note; my opinion only. These are excluded as they were paper proposals only.

IIRC only one of da Vinci's cannon ideas was built and it proved to be useless in battle conditions.

• Like 1

Yup. I think paper prototypes would be a whole GB in itself. The number of Luft '46 subjects alone is huge! It's another area where people could really get creative and build some pretty far out subjects.

Talking of far out subjects; whilst researching the 'Buran' space programme, I happened upon quite a record breaker in many ways; longest aircraft ever made, heaviest aircraft ever made, heaviest cargo load ever carried and so on; The Antonov 'Cossack'.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-225_Mriya

I'm not sure if Amodel do one if these; they do the Hughes Hercules (Spruce Goose) and also the Buran spacecraft. Expensive, vast models but absolutely awesome!

Thank you for the suggestions Black Night; especially the ships. I don't know very much about maritime records and firsts, so to see these is refreshing and inspiring. :)

Thanks for the AFV prototypes Sarge; I like the Tortoise - it looks just like its name :D

Keep the ideas coming folks,

Best regards

Tony

When an idea comes independently to more than one person it is a good idea in a good time.

Previously I opened a thread with almost identical idea, naturally Tony and me decided to join efforts

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235000942-how-about-x-planescarsboatsarmours-gb/

I asked Tony to transfer all the people who signed up in that thread to the list in this GB which I will co-host:

1. Pin

2. Caerbannog

3. SleeperService

4. Giorgio N

5. Arniec

6. heloman1

7. whitestar12chris

8. Misterfriend

9. HansReggelsen

Of course, people can opt out from the list if not agree with the merger.

• Like 4

One thing to mention, Tony, I totally agree with what have been said above and opposing "paper projects". It may have exploded on the first attempt like VLS-1, failed miserably like Caproni-60 or Lebedenko Tank, never completed like Slesarev Svyatogor but it must be real.

• Like 2

So I may have found an alternative home for this one:

a-model-amu72202-antonov-a-40-kt-prototy

But I wonder if I can get this one:

tsar_tank.jpg

Apparently I can:

tsar-tank-lebedenko-kora-models-72_360_e

But it's from KORA! :doh:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KORA-Models-1-72-LEBEDENKO-TSAR-TANK-Giant-Russian-WWI-Tank-/131852604345?hash=item1eb30713b9

A snip at twice the price! :shutup:

• Like 2

Assuming I can find something Amy Johnson flew to a "first" I'll join in

Some of her firsts were in a DH 60 Gipsy Moth; vis first woman to fly solo to Australia.

The DH 60 was available as kit from Frog and others who got the moulds. I think Aeroclub made one, as well as other makers.

Amy and her hubby were fastest to India in the '34 race, flying DH88 Comet 'Black Magic' ~ Airfix and others, in 1/72 and 1/48

• Like 1

One thing to mention, Tony, I totally agree with what have been said above and opposing "paper projects". It may have exploded on the first attempt like VLS-1, failed miserably like Caproni-60 or Lebedenko Tank, never completed like Slesarev Svyatogor but it must be real.

Hi Pin,

I agree. I originally had written that the e.g.the and Me P1101:

7CF5BF1A-B17E-4973-9C75-2311F8303CC6_zps

and Hs 132 ;

42248C49-BB1F-47C4-8A61-31DFD1ABCDD0_zps

wouldn't qualify, but I think I was wrong. They made it from the drawing board to construction, but we're just beaten by the end of the war (and associated circumstances) to being fully completed and flown.

Huma made both of these in 1/72 and RS Models do the Hs 132.

I wonder if you agree that they should be in? I think it makes it more fun :)

A quick addition regarding Amy Johnson: Amodel recently released a series of DH 60 models in 1/72 ( and 1/48 I think?).

4A97CCF5-7A43-42D1-8BC8-7F917B7D0D9D_zps

I know people sometimes worry about Amodel, but I have started one of the DH60M 'Metal Moth's 1/72 and it is a nice kit.

Nicely moulded, quite solid plastic (not soft or waxy) and the fit is pretty good too.

SBS do a very nice DH88 Comet as Black Magic. It's not cheap, but it's lovely:

C2AAB7AA-04F0-4706-901E-268E3FAF6758_zps

Sarge, you have to build that Kora thing-it's incredible! :D

Best regards

Tony

That first image looks distinctly fake to me. :mellow:

I've had a poke about online and I've found the KORA "Tsar" for a much better price (About £150 delivered).....I am almost tempted now you utter, utter b*****d! :doh::winkgrin:

• Like 1

The Me 1101 Sarge?

The Americans made off with it and more or less copied it. Here are a few more pics.

C18E378E-4A9B-4366-B8BC-37CBA39F741E_zps

C367181B-A15D-4430-B9F6-7FE94B73319F_zps

There's a man lurking around the back of this one:

E355AD54-6791-4411-AF25-E4910581AE2A_zps

I'd quite like to build one myself. Too many things to choose from. That flying tank did fly didn't it! Brave man that piloted that! :D

TT

• Like 1