Prototypes, Experimentals, World Firsts & Record Breakers GB Chat

I'd like to join with my Hughes HR-1 racer. The CMR one.

Wiki says" The Hughes H-1 is a racing aircraft built by Hughes Aircraft in 1935. It set a world airspeed record and a transcontinental speed record across the United States. The H-1 Racer was the last aircraft built by a private individual to set the world speed record"

LINK

Is that ok for this?

• Like 1

Also I wanted to ask whether the Real Space Models kit of the Vokshod II mission - the first ever spacewalk - is ok? It includes Alexei Leonov floating around on the end of his cord. 

If so and if the H-1 is ok then looks like I have two short run resin kits in my immediate future...ooops.

Decisions, decisions.  :frantic:

DSCF2176.JPG

I've also got a 1/48 F-4J (Eduard) w/ a VX-4 option...but I've already committed that kit as a VF-114 Aardvark from CVW-11 to go with my RA-5C.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

Wiki says" The Hughes H-1 is a racing aircraft built by Hughes Aircraft in 1935. It set a world airspeed record and a transcontinental speed record across the United States. The H-1 Racer was the last aircraft built by a private individual to set the world speed record"

LINK

Is that ok for this?

Lovey Hosts,

what at is the position on 'lasts', are they record breaking? I declare an interest as I was thinking of making Evening Star as the last British steam loco but wasn't sure and settled upon the 1st instead.

running before I can walk, if lasts are allowed, I might go for a top and tail.

thanks for hosting such a fascinating build

michael

Incidentally, I'm not sure whether this GB is responsible or not (probably), but I've got a Revell 1/32 X-1 that I keep looking at, then putting back on the stack.  It's a terribly simple kit (thinks I), but for some reason it scares me a bit, too.  Well, I'm looking at it again...  The canopy is probably the scariest aspect, but to my surprise a test-fit showed it to fit quite well.  Hmm...

14 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Incidentally, I'm not sure whether this GB is responsible or not (probably), but I've got a Revell 1/32 X-1 that I keep looking at, then putting back on the stack.  It's a terribly simple kit (thinks I), but for some reason it scares me a bit, too.  Well, I'm looking at it again...  The canopy is probably the scariest aspect, but to my surprise a test-fit showed it to fit quite well.  Hmm...

I build this long ago and it was not that bad actually. The cockpit is quite detailed. Added seatbelts will improve it a lot if you do not use the included figure. Wheel wells could do with resin replacements and the raised panel lines are ... but easy to rescribe. I think this might have been the first kit on which I rescribed the panel lines. If you have the boxing from one or two years back it comes with a much better decal sheet. IMHO this is a great kit as you can improve it a lot by just adding a few extras (above) or superdetail it (cockpit, wheelwells). The large scale and the rather small size combined with a simple shape gives you lots of canvas.

In fact this is also one of the kits I am considering for this GB. Still not sure what to enter :frantic:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

LINK

Is that ok for this?

Its a record breaker so certainly :). Beautiful aircraft too, I love 1930's subjects.

All the best

TonyT

6 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

Also I wanted to ask whether the Real Space Models kit of the Vokshod II mission - the first ever spacewalk - is ok? It includes Alexei Leonov floating around on the end of his cord. 

If so and if the H-1 is ok then looks like I have two short run resin kits in my immediate future...ooops.

Heres the world and (human known space) first:

"It established another milestone in space exploration when Alexey Leonov became the first person to leave the spacecraft in a specialized spacesuit to conduct a 12 minute "spacewalk".[2][3]"

:):thumbsup2: .

All good as far as I can see, a really interesting subject too; not often we get the chance to see a real space subject in a GB.

TonyT

7 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Lovey Hosts,

what at is the position on 'lasts', are they record breaking? I declare an interest as I was thinking of making Evening Star as the last British steam loco but wasn't sure and settled upon the 1st instead.

running before I can walk, if lasts are allowed, I might go for a top and tail.

thanks for hosting such a fascinating build

michael

Hello Michael,

I've thought about this a lot as I know what you're getting at, plus I love the Evening Star :heart: .

I think maybe 'lasts' would be an interesting and unique GB categogory in its own right.  The more one thinks about 'last of a kind' etc. it suggests a plethora of subjects, but perhaps not really in line with this GB.

Certainly the first British Steam loco would be fantastic :thumbsup2: .

For a record breaker, there is of course, *the* British steam locomotive record breaker; the beautiful (IMHO) Mallard. I wonder of you would  consider building this very special loco :)?

I think it would be a great asset to the GB. Not that I would be trying to twist your arm at all :whistle: .

All best regards

TonyT

Lord Tony of Tigerness,

Thank you, no problem- I'll await the Last of the Summer Wine/ Swan song GB.

Like the hint and I did ponder Mallard but don't know of any kits, other than white metal O gauge which is way way outside my budget!

Michael

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mjwomack said:

I'll await the Last of the Summer Wine/ Swan song GB.

I think you've just come up with an excellent GB idea.  You need to suggest it in the relevant thread and see if it can get into the poll for next year.  It would be an admirable follow up to this GB.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

I'll await the Last of the Summer Wine/ Swan song GB.

33 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I think you've just come up with an excellent GB idea.  You need to suggest it in the relevant thread and see if it can get into the poll for next year.  It would be an admirable follow up to this GB.

Novel idea!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I don't suppose any of the airframes in the Italeri Hustler qualify as record setters? 

What box do you have ? The 2011 rebox had the Bendix Trophy winner included in the decal sheet, this is also in the currently available rebox. The same sheet also includes the aircraft used in Operation Greased Lightning to set a speed record between tokyo and London

1 minute ago, Giorgio N said:

What box do you have ? The 2011 rebox had the Bendix Trophy winner included in the decal sheet, this is also in the currently available rebox. The same sheet also includes the aircraft used in Operation Greased Lightning to set a speed record between tokyo and London

Damn seems I have the 2003 issue

9 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Damn seems I have the 2003 issue

According to this page:

http://randolphbrewercom.fatcow.com/b58/inventory.php

59-2442 set 3 class world records. This is included in the original Italeri decal sheet, guess that the 2003 edition retained this sheet.

Don't know if a class record is enough to be eligible here though, let's see what the mods think

On 03/06/2017 at 1:47 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

It would be good to have you on board Rich :).

Im fascinated by the gas platform! Take care whilst bobbing about on that thing. I guess it's not coming to Lake Burley Griffin :lol:?

TonyT

If they found gas there, it'd at least make the place useful.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rob G said:

If they found gas there, it'd at least make the place useful.

:rofl:!

On 07/03/2017 at 8:47 PM, Caerbannog said:

I build this long ago and it was not that bad actually. The cockpit is quite detailed. Added seatbelts will improve it a lot if you do not use the included figure. Wheel wells could do with resin replacements and the raised panel lines are ... but easy to rescribe. I think this might have been the first kit on which I rescribed the panel lines. If you have the boxing from one or two years back it comes with a much better decal sheet. IMHO this is a great kit as you can improve it a lot by just adding a few extras (above) or superdetail it (cockpit, wheelwells). The large scale and the rather small size combined with a simple shape gives you lots of canvas.

In fact this is also one of the kits I am considering for this GB. Still not sure what to enter :frantic:

Hello,

I should also have replied to @gingerbob earlier, my apologies.

The Bell X-1 is a wonderful subject for this GB. Two world firsts; To quote Wikipedia:

"The X-1, piloted by Chuck Yeager, was the first manned airplane to exceed the speed of soundin level flight and was the first of the X-planes, a series of American experimental rocket planes(and non-rocket planes) designated for testing of new technologies and often kept secret."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_X-1

I've not seen a WIP for the 1/32 on BritModeller (maybe there's one here, I just can't find one).

It would be great to see either or both of you build it :thumbsup2: !

Best regards

TonyT