Prototypes, Experimentals, World Firsts & Record Breakers GB Chat

With the Heinkel He 176 rocket plane already built I'd like to join with Germanys first jet plane, the He 178 V1 from MPM/Condor

He%20178_a.jpg

Nice to see the first russian BI rocket plane in the list too. I might join up later with the 72 scale version.

• Like 1

That's superb Sau, welcome on board :).

I'm a little biased, somewhere on my profile it says 'early jets' (amongst other things). They don't get much earlier than this!

I have never seen a WIP on this kit so I, along with others, will be very interested to see how it goes together.

I need to check the entries for the Group Build; do we have a He-280, Arado-234 or Me-262 Prototype (V designation) yet?

I'm not sure if we have an Me-163 Prototype/A series (V) either?

He-112 rocket powered prototype anyone (think it was the V-3? Can't remember).

This is going to really look good in the gallery; along with the Airacomet and  Caproni-Campini, BI-1,  we're getting the full set of early technologies out of the Group Build now :).

Best regards

TonyT

4 hours ago, Ghostbase said:

Just asking at this stage but would the following subject be permissible here? This is a rebox of the 1955 Monogram kit of the Douglas RB-66A Destroyer, this one from 1995 which I found in a model hobby shop in Minneapolis. What is interesting is that this depicts the very first RB-66A produced, serial 52-2828, and would be regarded as the prototype, except the USAF ordered them straight into production with no prototypes or pre-production models! This is recognisable in the kit in that she has a test nose boom which I believe was unique to this one aircraft. The saga of the procurement of the B-66 Destroyer is an interesting one and the type went into production 10,000 lbs heavier than specified and with vastly under-powered engines; this was a severe handicap when serving during the Vietnam War as an ELINT platform.

IMGP3917size_zpsdh1okjmx.jpg   

I am just looking for something quick and easy to build before I tackle an EF-111A for the F-111 STGB. I also want to try out a rattlecan of Halfords Aluminium spray paint along with some other metallic shades and this would be perfect.

Michael

Hello Michael,

I get the feeling that you're a lot more fine with this big beautiful bird than you may at first think. 

I really like 'The Whale' and the B-66, have a really old RarePlanes vac-form (with injection parts) of the former, quite old Italeri of the latter.

I'm no expert and my sources may be out of date, but I have:

"Letter Contract AF 33(600)-9646 was issued on February 12, 1952, calling for the acquisition of a test quantity of 5 RB-66As"

Plus:

"The first of five RB-66A pre-production aircraft (52-2828/2832) flew at Long Beach on June 28, 1954, with George R. Jansen in command."

My bold and underlining there :).

It's also stated:

"None of the five RB-66As were ever used operationally by the USAF."

(McDonnell Douglas Aircraft Since 1920, Volume 1. Rene Francillon, Naval Institute Press, 1988).

It also looks like 22-828 was passed on to GE for both turbo-Jet and aft-fan engine testing, so the aircraft on the box is a pre-production test only aircraft, subsequently used as an experimental engine test-bed.

I'm very interested in this photograph and wonder if you know anything more about it:

IMG_6464.jpg

(Picture source not given on EBay print auction).

I believe it may be your aircraft when being used by GE as a test bed for the CJ 805 engines?

That's one stunning colour scheme in red :poke: :winkgrin:.

That's a very long way of saying that quite clearly your model, especially 22-828 qualifies just fine as far as I can see. I hadn't realised that the Monogram kit was this rare, pre-production model. Nice. :thumbsup2: 

I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like on the sprues etc. I don't mind raised panel lines and this could result in yours truly having to raid the piggy bank for one.  Especially a red one :whistle: .

Great stuff, look forward to your build thread, welcome on board :).

Best regards

TonyT

Edit: Better picture on Wikipedia here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Electric_CJ805#/media/File%3ARB-66A_(52-2828)_with_CJ805_test_engines.JPG

I know for a quick build OOB is best,  I just put it here for reference/interest.

T

• Like 1

On 19/04/2017 at 0:11 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

Hello Michael,

I get the feeling that you're a lot more fine with this big beautiful bird than you may at first think. 

I really like 'The Whale' and the B-66, have a really old RarePlanes vac-form (with injection parts) of the former, quite old Italeri of the latter.

I'm no expert and my sources may be out of date, but I have:

"Letter Contract AF 33(600)-9646 was issued on February 12, 1952, calling for the acquisition of a test quantity of 5 RB-66As"

Plus:

"The first of five RB-66A pre-production aircraft (52-2828/2832) flew at Long Beach on June 28, 1954, with George R. Jansen in command."

My bold and underlining there :).

It's also stated:

"None of the five RB-66As were ever used operationally by the USAF."

(McDonnell Douglas Aircraft Since 1920, Volume 1. Rene Francillon, Naval Institute Press, 1988).

It also looks like 22-828 was passed on to GE for both turbo-Jet and aft-fan engine testing, so the aircraft on the box is a pre-production test only aircraft, subsequently used as an experimental engine test-bed.

I'm very interested in this photograph and wonder if you know anything more about it:

IMG_6464.jpg

(Picture source not given on EBay print auction).

I believe it may be your aircraft when being used by GE as a test bed for the CJ 805 engines?

That's one stunning colour scheme in red :poke: :winkgrin:.

That's a very long way of saying that quite clearly your model, especially 22-828 qualifies just fine as far as I can see. I hadn't realised that the Monogram kit was this rare, pre-production model. Nice. :thumbsup2: 

I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like on the sprues etc. I don't mind raised panel lines and this could result in yours truly having to raid the piggy bank for one.  Especially a red one :whistle: .

Great stuff, look forward to your build thread, welcome on board :).

Best regards

TonyT

Edit: Better picture on Wikipedia here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Electric_CJ805#/media/File%3ARB-66A_(52-2828)_with_CJ805_test_engines.JPG

I know for a quick build OOB is best,  I just put it here for reference/interest.

T

Thanks TonyT for such a detailed reply and also the photo link to the later version of 52-2828, that would make an interesting model though I don't know where I would get the engines in the odd scale of this kit. Also interesting that those engines powered the Convair 990, or at least a version of those engines. I stand corrected about the five pre-production aircraft :smile: and thank you for confirming this kits eligibility for this GB. Might get started this weekend!

Michael

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Very quickly does the monster truck Bigfoot count. Its not an aircraft but has over the years held many records for flying (I believe they refer to it as jumping) I have been looking for an excuse to build it for ages and it will add something a bit different to the GB!

cheers

Graham

Hello Graham.

Fascinating....:D.

There are a number of Bigfoot trucks. I did a little research and it looks, to me like Bigfoot truck numbers 5, 6, 11, 14 and 18 all are official record breakers, whereas 20 is the world's first and only electric monster truck.

I can't find it stated that the first Bigfoot was the world's first monster truck; it is nonetheless strongly inferred and I only have the 'web' as a research resource. It's an utterly bizarre 'first', but very 'Roy Castle and Norris MacWhirter' in spirit, that Bigfoot number one was the first monster truck to demonstrate, then go on to perform, public car crushes! 

Any of those mentioned above fit the criteria as far as I can see, although I'm having strange inklings that number 1, quite ironically, may be borderline.. I could be quite wrong.

Do any of those match what you can get hold of/build/convert etc?

Great idea, a bit of fun and very different :thumbsup2: !

All best regards

TonyT

Thanks for the reply Tony, I have a lot of Bigfoot 10(I have now discovered) although it is in a paint scheme I can only find on Bigfoot 11. The two trucks though are fairly different (he says after sifting the internet for an hour and a half) and converting is beyond my ability in the time remaining. I think you'd have to be a monster truck guru to know it wasn't no 11. That said though I now know and so I'll just do it in the vehicle section. I have a kestrel or a Boscombe red white blue twin seat Harrier I can do instead that both fit the bill and kick off my monster Harrier build through the ages!! 

See you in a build thread soon

Graham

B654F937-88D0-4F3B-95A5-D1CD81BA3103_zps

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Hardtarget said:

Hi all, i might be able to fit a build in but only have a M.B.Sea Baker, whould this meet the criterior?

Hello!

The actual kit plastic is fine, of the MB 5 Prototype. A very nice kit too, all thanks to AZ for this.

But...

The 'Sea Baker' markings are a (highly imaginative) invention of AZ models. A 'what if'.

For this Group Build, 'What if' schemes are 'no go' :(.

I would love to see this in the gallery, and to see the WIP; would it be possible for you to model it in the actual prototype scheme?

I'm sure there's someone on BM that could share a set of decals with you or you/they might have a couple of prototype 'P's, suitable numbers in the spares box?

Still a month to go, it's a good kit, should be possible  :)!

Yours hopefully 

TonyT

17 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Hello!

The actual kit plastic is fine, of the MB 5 Prototype. A very nice kit too, all thanks to AZ for this.

But...

The 'Sea Baker' markings are a (highly imaginative) invention of AZ models. A 'what if'.

For this Group Build, 'What if' schemes are 'no go' :(.

I would love to see this in the gallery, and to see the WIP; would it be possible for you to model it in the actual prototype scheme?

I'm sure there's someone on BM that could share a set of decals with you or you/they might have a couple of prototype 'P's, suitable numbers in the spares box?

Still a month to go, it's a good kit, should be possible  :)!

Yours hopefully 

TonyT

Hi Tony, ah that's a shame as I quite like the FAA version. Still I may find something else that would be eligible.

• Like 1

On 24/06/2017 at 9:53 PM, Hardtarget said:

Tony, what about a SU-T-50 or J1N1 Gekko, Ki-100, Koolhoven FK-58c,1, Fokker D-XXIII or F-20 tiger shark as i have these.

Hello!

Sukhoi SU T-50; all prototypes, yes :thumbsup2: 

J1N1 Gekko: either of two J1N1 prototypes or seven J1N1C progotypes, yes :thumbsup2: 

Ki-100 prototypes based on Ki-61 (three prototypes built) or Ki-100 II (three prototypes built): yes :thumbsup2: 

Koolhoven FK-58 /(c1) prototypes (Hispano Suiza engines); two of, yes I like these very much :thumbsup: . This might be a useful link for a rarer prototype scheme:

http://www.nederlandseluchtvaart.nl/forums/showthread.php?38865-Koolhoven-F-K-58-prototype

Fokker DXXIII; the one and only example and prototype: yes (lovely subject, can you see a pattern to my 'likes' here :D) :thumbsup2: .

IMG_9047.jpg

Image rights owned by the San Diego Air & Space Museum, which has released the image with no known copyright restrictions.

F20 Tigershark; all prototypes: yes :thumbsup2: 

That's around 30 to choose from in total.

Just one will be fine :lol:!

Only three weeks left, but it can be done, any of the above would be most welcome.

Yes, I love Netherlands subjects, but the Tigershark may be the fastest build :hmmm: 

Many thanks, I hope you'll go for it, the more the merrier!

Best regards 

TonyT

On 02/07/2017 at 3:53 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

Because of the onging Photobucket fiasco, this GB will be extended by one week.  This will give everyone chance to rehost their gallery pictures.

Hello folks,

Just to give a big thanks to Enzo for the extra week due to the Photobucket debacle.

A quick check of the gallery shows we have 16 completed models :clap:!

The break down of subjects so far is:

1 submarine

1 space rocket

12 aircraft (including three VTOL)

1 boat

1 locomotive

No cars, motorcycles or AFV's at the moment.. 

:poke:

We have just over two weeks left.

Lets give it a record breaking push to get some more in the gallery.

I'm still stuck horizontal due to ongoing illness, so don't want to be a hypocrite regarding completion. My obstacle is that I can't physically sit at the bench to use the airbrush. As it's an Alclad metal finish; stuck. I hope I can get in there before the end.

I know that many will be on holiday, visiting relatives and so on.

Nevertheless there are some threads that show really nice models very close to completion, so if you can, please give it a push and wallop something in our gallery.

A GB that encourages such a variety of subjects doesn't come around often. Let's do ourselves proud :viking:.

Thank to Enzo, Pin and everyone that's taken part so far. Here's hoping for a great last two weeks!

All the best :bye: 

TonyT

PS: One thread planted the seed of a 'Last of its kind' Group Build for the future. Sounds interesting :hmmm:?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Five days to go :o!!!!

Girdle your loins :frantic: !

Make sure your that your thrummocks are ready to be coated with gloss varnish :bounce: !

PiN is away until just after the end of the Group Build, so I'm afraid you're all stuck with just me for this, the last week :door: 

Yes, it's the last week of our lovely Group Build  :weep: .

There's still time to build something in record breaking time. @AdrianMF did us proud recently with a record breaking build of a record breaker.

34 hours start to finish :o!!

I think that means we still have time to make around four models each. That will fill the gallery nicely :):thumbsup2: .

Now, to be very, very serious for a moment.

:tease:

Sorry. I didn't mean to press that button.

I meant to ask:

What do people think about a poll?

With such a range and variety of subjects I'm not sure what to think of the idea of a poll?

Shall we have one?

'Jeux Sans Frontières'?

Or as Dell Boy always said:

´Chausée déformée'?

It's certainly been one of those, especially with PhotoMuppet's spanner in the works.

Please send me a PM if you would rather express your preference on 'poll or not' away from the main thread.

Everyone that's taken part is a winner as far as I'm concerned.

Best regards and a happy last few days group building of record breakers, prototypes and world firsts :bye: 

TonyT

• Like 1

Looks like I'll fail but not by much I hope as I believe I've got the rest of the layout sussed, famous last words.....
I've bitten off more than I can chew again but I've learnt my lesson this time. Been a great GB and even better if I hadn't been reduced to my phone for access....
Thanks Jockney I have several KUTA entries already!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Thanks Jockney I have several KUTA entries already!

Hi SS

Really sorry to hear you may not get finished in time (something I am all too familiar with! )

I could probably supply everyone on this GB with a candidate for the next KUTA GB, what the old saying about people in glasshouses throwing stones ! :bristow: :oops:

cheers Pat

• Like 1

Finally got round to posting my builds in gallery - Thanks to all for the variety of builds and the support along the way.

KR's

IanJ

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

Finally got round to posting my builds in gallery - Thanks to all for the variety of builds and the support along the way.

KR's

IanJ

Great Stuff Ian!

Well done and thank you for taking part.

Here we are on the last day of this splendid Group Build folks!

I had some PM action and suggestions; as a result there will be a very straightforward poll at the end.

There will be a small prize courtesy of me!

In keeping with the quite unusual nature of our Group Build, it will be a relevant book; to be revealed after the poll, for the highest voted build.

I'm 9 hours ahead of UK time (I understand that it isn't called GMT anymore :shrug: ?).

Don't forget to put your completed builds in  the gallery!

We've had a few last minute completions; thanks folks, outstanding!

Good luck to anyone trying to finish today :).

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 4

PErsonally, I'll be embarassed if anyone votes for me- please don't. I feel I have been carried over the finishing line by the support and encoouragement of other BMers and anyhow seeing the likes I've had and from folk who's work is way beyond anything I could ever do is enough.

What I can't get enough of is thanks to our lovely hosts and all the support I've had - thanks everyone.

Michael

• Like 4

Thanks Michael :).

Group Builds would be a bit tumbleweed without the actual builds, so as I wrote before, every build is a winner to me :king: .

Polls can be a bit 'Eurovision'; tense and mystifying.

Britmodeller is a little different in that Norway actually produces some good results, Greece and Cyprus don't always give each other marks and just about everything here is really good :D:penguin:!!

On the subject of things that are good; everything in the Gallery is.....but;

Some pictures have vanished due to the Photobucket scourge; I was recently looking back over superb WIP's in this wonderful forum. What Photobucket did is a disgrace. It looks like there's been some kind of war, looking back at old threads; that annoying '3rd Party' Photomuppet box everywhere :angrysoapbox.sml:!

@Head in the clouds. Bluebird photos have (just recently?) gone, and all of @Colin W entries too :(!

I've sent PM's offering help with relinking. The only problem is that it's half past midnight now for me here in the future; and I'll be sleeping at some point soon.

If any of you could help them recover their photos etc while I'm counting sheep, I would be most grateful :).

Colin is in a similar time zone to me so I'm a little concerned he may miss this message. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again folks, happy Sunday 

Best regards :bye: 

TonyT