Prototypes, Experimentals, World Firsts & Record Breakers GB Chat

13 hours ago, Unkempt said:

How about the Boeing 247 that came 3rd in the London-Melbourne 1934 race? Would that fit under 'attempted record breaker'?

Original one-off was a race aircraft designed for the MacRobertson Air Race; use of Hamilton Standard variable-pitch propellers allowed for a 7 mph (11 km/h) gain;

I say yes, it qualifies with proper adjustments and markings ('Warner Bros. Comet', NR257Y)

7 hours ago, Pin said:

Original one-off was a race aircraft designed for the MacRobertson Air Race; use of Hamilton Standard variable-pitch propellers allowed for a 7 mph (11 km/h) gain;

I say yes, it qualifies with proper adjustments and markings ('Warner Bros. Comet', NR257Y)

Well I'll do that then. Thanks!

Question,

As my current builds now on hold till who knows when, I've raided the stash to find other suitable candidates. 

Thus far I have a two

US T28/95 super heavy

Two constructed for testing one in Aberdeen the other Fort KnoxThey were designed to attack the Siegfried line. By the time it had passed testing it was no longer needed after the attacks on Hiroshima an Nagasaki. It was also deemed obsolete by the time it was ready due to its weight (100 tonnes) Expensive and hard to maintain.

One was sent over to Korea for a field test after that it was abandoned an turned up in 1974 in a field in Kentucky of all places. Its now on display externally restored at Fort Benning

Kit is about 45-50% complete which is the main issue

Dwarfs this poor Stuart M5

t28m22so7%23

German VK4502H

This looks less likely.

The turrets were certainly produced these were the first 50 "Porsche" style turrets used on the Tiger II.

Hulls are a bit sketchy, Theres documents pointing toward three VK4502 hulls being built minus the upper decks, a report dated 28th Jan 1943 point to them being delivered to Nibelungwerk. Dr Porsche wrote a letter mid Feb 1943 stating they had been constructed using electric drives with future models using a hydraulic system new suspension and a diesel power plant. After that all the information stops.

So, three hulls were produced with power plants, a collection of turrets as well just looks like they never had chance to stitch them together.

If not, I shall engage ninja mode an get hold of a suitable kit without SWMBO spotting.

Step,

I want to recite the rules:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235017855-welcome-and-rules/

No need to pre-register in order to participate,  just start your build in GB area, we will expel you if we don't like it ;) 

I'm not sure about VK4502H as there is no evidence that it was ever completed but T28/95 certainly qualifies

5 hours ago, Lawnguylander said:

Is it too late to join this GB? I have a project that might fit the bill.

Certainly not too late :).

Plenty of time yet, I've only just started my own build. 
Would be lovely to welcome you on board - what is your project Lawnguylander?

All best regards
TonyT

16 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Certainly not too late :).

Plenty of time yet, I've only just started my own build. 
Would be lovely to welcome you on board - what is your project Lawnguylander?

All best regards
TonyT

Hi Tony, thanks for letting me join the GB- I'll build a 1/32 M2F2 lifting body from the 1960s- I'll start a thread when I have something to show.

Cheers,

Lee

• Like 2

That's great Lee :). I hadn't realised that one of these was part of the footage at the start of the 1970's 'Six Million Dollar Man' TV series.

Amazing machines, dropped from 40,000 feet with rockets and skis to help them land on dry lake beds :o!

Amazing stuff, looking forward to it.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Hello all,

I just wanted to wish everyone involved with the group build, from Enzo to Pin to everyone modelling and muddling away, a very happy Easter.

Even if it's not the kind of thing you celebrate, I just hope at least you are having a nice weekend and perhaps get a little free time. Chocolate is a bonus, for chocolate fans like me anyway :)!

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Hi Tony / Pin

I would like to get involved, and wonder would this be within the criteria for the group build?

Boxart Campini Caproni C.C. 1, C.C. 2 1003 Delta / Delta 2

As far as I can find out, the plane was a prototype that didn't lead to a production model.  (or so it says in the instructions....).

Wikipedia says something similar, describing it as a prototype:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caproni_Campini_N.1

Thanks,

Philip

• Like 1

Hi Prenton - I'd love to see that built. Can't speak for Tony and Pin but it seems to fit the criteria. 

It's a fascinating aeroplane - not powered by a pure jet engine, but a motorjet, with a conventional piston engine driving the compressor - which turned out to be a dead end in engine development.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Prenton said:

Hi Tony / Pin

I would like to get involved, and wonder would this be within the criteria for the group build?

Boxart Campini Caproni C.C. 1, C.C. 2 1003 Delta / Delta 2

As far as I can find out, the plane was a prototype that didn't lead to a production model.  (or so it says in the instructions....).

Wikipedia says something similar, describing it as a prototype:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caproni_Campini_N.1

Thanks,

Philip

Hello Phiip,

The answer is a yes, it most certainly fits the criteria ;)!

I have been looking for this kit. Valom have released one, some say that the Delta 2 is too old fashioned, but I personally feel that it is closer to the profile of the real thing than the Valom.

Most certainly an experimental, and what an experimental.

I think you will probably have seen it, but some great footage here:

What an incredible sound. Some frames from here may help with the cockpit.

I'm with @zebra, can't wait to see you start this one :thumbsup2: 

All best regards 

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks Tony and Zebra.  Well, I am aware of the Valom kit, but with the stash getting towards 400 kits, I have to use what is there, and it is the Delta 2 kit that I have in the attic.

I expect the kit will be one that will need some fettling, and yes - the video will prove useful not only for some little scratchbuilt cockpit pieces, but also for the natural metal finish, which I can see isn't by any means uniform - many thanks for that!

Because we have a bank holiday tomorrow, I will go up now to the attic, retrieve the kit and start with the usual ritual washing of the sprues and then photograph them and start the thread tomorrow.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 2

Please build this one Philip

Any aircraft that can sound like a Stuka diving all the time has to be included on a point of principle.

Good to hear of a healthy stash of 400 kits, how many have you 'fessed up to Mrs Preston that you own ? :wicked:

cheers Pat

• Like 1

hehe Jockney

Yes, I am going to build this one, even if the kit is from the 1970's.  I have not removed raised panel lines and then cut my own for a long time.....so could be fun!  

I also have a riveter which I have yet to use....

As to the size of the stash...yes, she knows I have a lot of kits, but actually admitting the exact number to Mrs Prenton* might be a little risky, so I won't go there.

Cheers,

Philip

[*it's Prenton, as in Tranmere Rovers (near Liverpool), not Preston (north end or otherwise), by the way...it's where we were originally from, before coming to Ireland in the 17th century.....]

• Like 2

Apologies Philip

Last post was a victim of auto correction rather than dodgy geography !

Talking of geography, it's a lovely part of the world you hail from, my dad was from County Clare, many a happy "holiday" cutting turfs in the peat bog. I think they call that character building :rofl:

Mrs Jockney is also thankfully in the dark regarding the stash size, worryingly I may have a simular number secreted in the garage, so let's just keep this between us boys :whistle:

cheers Pat

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Julien said:

Does the Bereznyak-Isayev BI-1 fit in here?

2202L.jpg

Hello Julien,

Yes, it certainly does :). All of them from BI-1 to BI-7 were both prototypes and experimental. Experimental in the strongest terms, really cutting edge research research with many restraints and the usual extreme Soviet party  pressures upon the developers.

Absolutely fascinating aircraft. They tried so very hard to make something a little like the Me-163 in overall concept. 

One of my personal favourites it would be very good to see one in the Group Build :).

Will you be doing one? Hope so (how about the one that was fitted with RamJets  too :D:thumbsup2: .

All best regards

TonyT

On 17/04/2017 at 6:04 AM, Prenton said:

Yes, I am going to build this one, even if the kit is from the 1970's.  I have not removed raised panel lines and then cut my own for a long time.....so could be fun!  

I honestly prefer this kit's overall outline to the Valom one Prenton. Only my opinion.

Put side by side, for my money, the Delta looks, to me, more like the real thing.

It might just be my eyes, but there it is; the profile of the fuselage on the Valom doesn't seem to quite cut the mustard - especially the intake area.

I feel you need to introduce a sound circuit in it somehow to get that 'Flash Gordon' (Circa Buster Crabbe) engine sound, its just amazing  :D.

It looks very good wheels up..... :hmmm: 

All best regards

TonyT

Hi Tony.

Hmmm - wheels up.  That is an idea, since the kit allows for a special stand to permit this.....might be one to explore.  I have since started the thread, as you can see.

Philip

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Hello Julien,

Yes, it certainly does :). All of them from BI-1 to BI-7 were both prototypes and experimental. Experimental in the strongest terms, really cutting edge research research with many restraints and the usual extreme Soviet party  pressures upon the developers.

Absolutely fascinating aircraft. They tried so very hard to make something a little like the Me-163 in overall concept. 

One of my personal favourites it would be very good to see one in the Group Build :).

Will you be doing one? Hope so (how about the one that was fitted with RamJets  too :D:thumbsup2: .

All best regards

TonyT

Thanks Tony, yes count me in I have the Mikro-Mir kit.

boxart.jpg

• Like 3

That's great Julien,

It will be good to see a build of the Mikro Mir kit, 1/48 is a good scale for a model of this little rocket plane.

Looking forward to it :)

TonyT

Just asking at this stage but would the following subject be permissible here? This is a rebox of the 1955 Monogram kit of the Douglas RB-66A Destroyer, this one from 1995 which I found in a model hobby shop in Minneapolis. What is interesting is that this depicts the very first RB-66A produced, serial 52-2828, and would be regarded as the prototype, except the USAF ordered them straight into production with no prototypes or pre-production models! This is recognisable in the kit in that she has a test nose boom which I believe was unique to this one aircraft. The saga of the procurement of the B-66 Destroyer is an interesting one and the type went into production 10,000 lbs heavier than specified and with vastly under-powered engines; this was a severe handicap when serving during the Vietnam War as an ELINT platform.

IMGP3917size_zpsdh1okjmx.jpg   

I am just looking for something quick and easy to build before I tackle an EF-111A for the F-111 STGB. I also want to try out a rattlecan of Halfords Aluminium spray paint along with some other metallic shades and this would be perfect.

Michael