Prototypes, Experimentals, World Firsts & Record Breakers GB Chat

Hi folk's this may be out of the remit of this GB but would a Phantom of VX-4 test and evaluation squadron be valid?I believe these 

aircraft tested many weapon's and systems during their career's so were in fact flying labs,I have an ESCI boxing and a can of black

paint^_^

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's this may be out of the remit of this GB but would a Phantom of VX-4 test and evaluation squadron be valid?I believe these 

aircraft tested many weapon's and systems during their career's so were in fact flying labs,I have an ESCI boxing and a can of black

paint^_^

I think I'll pass that one to PiN Steve as I know he was interested in flying labs. 

I'm scratching my head on it, it's a pretty fascinating subject, 'experimental' seems to fit, but in an odd way :D!

All the best 

TonyT

• Like 1

Hello all and welcome to the group build. I wasn't  sure where to post this, I put it on the reference thread, but may take it off there and just leave it here, as it's for your possible reference and only a bit of fun. 

Just in case you would like to use a banner, Mrs. T had a go to make one last night. I'm afraid we don't really know how to use the software, she did the best she could. The images are copyright free from Wikipedia; the last belongs to my wife's family (It's of her grandad) and BM has permission to use it (its on the internet too, all is fine) :).

Its Apollo 11, the Hawker Tempest prototype, a Soviet flying tank and Burt Munro with two of his motorcycles, one of which went on to be a 'Munro Special', world record fastest Indian motorcycle.

I hope I interpreted the BM guidelines for banners correctly. It should be a GIF format.

I can't get Flickr to work at the moment (it's been awkward for 4 days now for me), so this is on Postimage.

If anyone else would like to design one, please feel free, but make sure you know/read the guidelines.

Here is our humble attempt:

Edit:

It needs converting to a gif, and 400! Back soon.

Back, I hope it will do for now :shrug: ?

IMG_4859.gif

Best regards

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
Resize image
  • Like 3

Hello, 

I'm wondering...

I have this Fairey Long Range Monoplane which I've been building from scratch for four years or so. I have got the basic shapes of the wing, the fin and rudder, the tailplanes (which I plan to throw away and replace with ones of the right thickness) and three fuselages, two of which I have discarded.

So effectively I've built myself a very partial and basic short run kit. I have to add surface detailing and control surfaces, interior and exterior detail and all the extra bits like undercarriages and radiators and new tailplanes and cockpits and stuff. It looks like this:

IMG_3529.jpg

IMG_3547.jpg

Even though it's taken me aaages to get this far, I still think it's not even at the unassembled kit stage and I've got at least a whole kit's worth of work to go. And you can't count stuff I've built and plan to throw away towards 25% complete, can you?

So could I join the GB with this to give myself an incentive to finish it this year? I throw myself on your mercy...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

Any decision on the Phantom's eligibility Alexey?I also have Concorde in the stash I know it notched up a 

few first's but does fall into the "type" catagory,

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Pin said:

I never understood this "requirement" - how do you count? 

As far as I can ascertain it's just a matter of personal assessment of what's left to be done. In some cases it could be quite tricky.

Adrian's look fine, it has more to be done on it than quite a few e.g. Omega resin kits I have. It's just a collection of parts really. I don't mean that to sound bad, after all the work you've put in perfecting those parts Adrian :winkgrin:!

All the best

TonyT

• Like 1

A couple of quick questions for the hosts:

- if considering a prototype for something that later achieved full production, should we look at the first one only or are other prototypes eligible ? In my case I may build one of the Tomcat prototypes but I'm attracted to the second instead of the first because of the more interesting colour schemes

- if I understand right the aircrafts used for testing are all eligible, so for example an RAE hunter would be eligible. Is this correct ? At the same time my understanding is that an ETPS aircraft would not be eligible as the role of the ETPS is to train test pilots and not really conduct tests, am I right ?

I forgot I've got a YP-59 Airacomet in the stash too....

I think my front runners are going to be the YP-59 or the XF-107.  The X-1 will be my crutch if I fall into a time crunch.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pin said:

I have no objections against "evaluation and testing" Phantom.

As to Concordes - prototypes and pre-production machines qualify, six machines in total

http://www.concordesst.com/prototypes.html

Great stuff Alexey,the Phantom will do for a start might be the mojo restorer I need.

Thanks Alexey, I'll start digging the Tomcat kits from the stash.. I have a weird plan in my mind where an Esci and a Matchbox kit are combined to achieve something decent...

In the meantime though I've decided to start with something quite different: the Sukhoy Berkut !

• Like 1

On 14/03/2017 at 10:45 AM, Black Knight said:

I was going to do my Shorts SC1 but I'll have to sort out making a canopy first

All four in the kit have turned to a tinted tobacco yellow/brown

Hello, I'm sorry to hear about the canopies, it's  horrible when they yellow like that :mellow:.

Is it the Planet Models kit?

If so, it might be worth sending an email to Special Hobby, as Planet are under their Umbrella.

A contact form is at the bottom of this page:

https://www.specialhobby.eu/index.php?lang=1&cl=contact

I hade around 5 Azur kits in which the canopies had all gone that horrible yellow brown. I contacted Special Hobby and they sent nice clear replacements to me, free of charge, all the way to Oz :thumbsup2: .

All the best

TonyT

• Like 1

On 3/13/2017 at 11:45 PM, Black Knight said:

I was going to do my Shorts SC1 but I'll have to sort out making a canopy first

All four in the kit have turned to a tinted tobacco yellow/brown

Black Knight.

I am building the Planet Models SC1 in this group build and have a couple of spare canopies (XG905).

Drop me a PM if you are interested I will post them out.

jb

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Would a 317th tfw F-117 stationed at Tonopah Test Range in the late 1980s qualify? The unit got the f-117 combat ready, and as far as I can tell were the first to officially use stealth aircraft in combat (in Panama).

No, these were production machines

On 17/03/2017 at 11:34 AM, Jb65rams said:

Black Knight.

I am building the Planet Models SC1 in this group build and have a couple of spare canopies (XG905).

Drop me a PM if you are interested I will post them out.

jb

Well done JB, nothing better illustrates why Britmodeller is the best modelling site on the web :clap2:

cheers Pat

• Like 2