Prototypes, Experimentals, World Firsts & Record Breakers GB Chat

I had been doing some thinking, and this is merely for the sake of discussion as I already have 3 perfectly viable contenders...how do systems development airframes/chassis fit?  For example the VX-4 & VX-9 "Black Bunny" Phantoms & Tomcats.  While the airframe itself isn't a prototype, the airframes are used for testing and field trials for experimental/prototype weapon systems & avionics.

Just stirring the pot and engaging the masses.  :wicked:

f14-photo-vx4-01xl11.jpg

• Like 1

I've already got two proposed entries for this GB.  

This year, I have been introduced to the joys of building AFVs, so I would like to add an A33 Excelsior heavy tank to the list.  This was a drastically up-armoured version of the Cromwell which was intended to replace the Churchill tank if that design failed. In the event the Churchill succeeded and only two Excelsiors were built.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excelsior_tank

• Like 1

This is a nice GB, I think to get involved with a
Me 163 with Scheuch-Schlepper 1/72 spec.Hobby, or a He 162 D 1/48 Dragon just started in the cockpit
I think are correct with the theme of GB

Ettore

Thinking of a change from the Saunders-Roe SR.1/A to a Resin Focke-Achgelis Fa 225, see link below.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Achgelis_Fa_225

There are 2 reasons for this, 

Firstly to get TrickyRich off my case about building a resin kit   :bangin:

Secondly it's a fine excuse to build something I had actually forgotten I had !

Of course all of this is assuming I can get permission from a grown up or a moderator, let's face it, it's unlikely anyone is both ! :kissing2:

cheers Pat

• Like 2

On 28/12/2016 at 3:15 AM, Ettore said:
This is a nice GB, I think to get involved with a
Me 163 with Scheuch-Schlepper 1/72 spec.Hobby, or a He 162 D 1/48 Dragon just started in the cockpit
I think are correct with the theme of GB

Ettore

This requires some clarification. Me-163 were mass produced and as such don't qualify unless you are going to build a prototype

As to He-162D - was it really ever built? Paper projects and "what-ifs" are not allowed in this GB

Effectively the Hs 162 D was made on wooden ( mockup), then destroyed during Americans bombardments,
then there is no prototype.
Watching all my  kits boxes I believe that I can not participate in this GB ..... patience!

:bye: Ettore
Edited by Ettore

On 19/12/2016 at 9:50 PM, helios16v said:

I had been doing some thinking, and this is merely for the sake of discussion as I already have 3 perfectly viable contenders...how do systems development airframes/chassis fit?  For example the VX-4 & VX-9 "Black Bunny" Phantoms & Tomcats.  While the airframe itself isn't a prototype, the airframes are used for testing and field trials for experimental/prototype weapon systems & avionics.

Just stirring the pot and engaging the masses.  :wicked:

f14-photo-vx4-01xl11.jpg

Yes, that qualifies. In USSR/Russia such airframes were designated "Flying Laboratories". Said that, F-15 used on ASAT program will qualify too.

• Like 1

So, would a Versuchsflakwagen 8.8cm Flak auf Sonderfahrgestell Pz.Sfl.IVc be doable?

Three prototypes built with the 8.8cm Flak 37 in 1941 one was rearmed with the 8.8cm Flak 41 and served with the 26th Panzer Division in Italy, Little more digging needed to find its fate

One oddball AA unit

6ebcea6735d519de5b2f4e4858ff9a46.jpg

Damn you people...

I just "had" to snag a RAF Tornado flying test bed that I stumbled across.  Now I want to build a little collection of these aerial laboratories.  I'm just going to "have" to keep my eyes open for a deal on a 1/72 Black Bunny Phantom & Tomcat to go with it.  And maybe an XB-70 for a backdrop.....  :hmmm:   Good thing the local model show is coming up in a couple months.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/144743-hasegawa-00097-tornado-gr-mk-1

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mach Turtle said:

Pretty much anything Realspace would qualify for this build, right? Pretty much every vehicle is groundbreaking in some way. Correct?

Generally speaking the answer is "no", but many space related subject do qualify. For example, generic "Soyuz" launch vehicle does not qualify being mass produced although expendable. "Enterprise" and "Buran" fully qualify, "Columbia" qualifies in STS-1 through STS-4 configuration, other spaceworthy Space Shuttles do not, etc. etc. etc.

How about the Curtiss XF15C? I think that would qualify as a prototype, as it never entered production. The Olimp resin kit is setting on top of the stack right under the workbench and it's always looking at me.

Cheers,

Bill

Please count me in with K5054, the Spitfire prototype, from the old tooling Airfix kit (if a kit that has had a little preliminary sanding on the cowling is acceptable, I already have one allocated...if not, I can grab a pair of untouched fuselage halves). Might also chip in with a Heinkel 280 and a YP-59 Airacomet if I get feeling ambitious, maybe also a Boeing F8B and a Bell XP-77...but I'm saving the I-17 and Su-1 I just picked up for From Russia with Love...

Edited by Sabre_days