Prototypes, Experimentals, World Firsts & Record Breakers GB Chat

Hello people :bye:

I'm new to Group Builds and I apologise if I shouldn't be making suggestions. I'm not all that sure of how the whole process goes; but this is just an idea - one close to my heart/home in fact.

My wife's grandfather was the chap portrayed by Anthony Hopkins in the film 'The World's Fastest Indian'; Burt Munro.

He wasn't an Indian; it was the make of an extremely old motorcycle; one that he dedicated his life to, and got the world record for the fastest of it's type after trekking all the way from one of the Southernmost parts of New Zealand (Invercargill) to the USA on a shoestring.

That's an extremely sketchy and brief summary - as it is just the idea I'm interested in. It was watching an interview with Burt that inspired me this morning, anyway my question:

Has there yet been a World First, Fastest (Largest, most powerful etc.) and Record Breakers' Group build?

It would be pretty far reaching; from world land speed records, to water (e.g. Mr Campbell), to Mr Bleriot and his cross channel activities, The Polar Star, Alcock and Brown, Yuri Gagarin and so on.

By 'First' I mean things like: 'First man in Space', 'First human to break the sound barrier', 'First human to fly across the Antarctic', 'First to fly over Mount Everest'.

This aspect is about individual triumphs and achievements. Fastest human on water, Fastest human in a vehicle of any kind on land, highest manned flight and so on may often go hand in hand with the 'Record Breakers' element.

A Group Build that could have the highest manned balloon, world record fastest manned speedboat, fastest quarter mile dragster ever, the Wright Flyer, The Southern Cross, Spirit of St Louis, deepest manned submarine and the first dog/monkey/man in space appeals to my slightly eccentric nature!

I've probably been lurking around the GB area too much, but I just had this, admittedly still 'forming' idea, but thought I'd throw it out there for any feedback, howls of derisive laughter or (polite) suggestions! :D

Thanks for reading and happy modelling

Tony

Edited to include the word 'manned' although PC would suggest 'peopled' it sounds a bit odd..but there are so many lady record breakers - so I hope its ok.

Edited due to a merger! :o:thumbsup2:

In the process of the evolution of this idea for a GB, I didn't realise, but I managed to more or less duplicate a proposed GB by Pin.

This means we can now include prototypes, e.g. ; Bf-109 V1, X and Y series US aircraft and so on. Pre-production models should be ok too, but check with us first as some pre-production runs fly in the face of the definition.

We hope people didn't mind the merger, it gives us a better chance of the GB getting to the vote and brings together more people with more fascinating ideas! :)

Please note that Experimentals (e.g. X-planes), flying laboratories and 'one of a kind' (e.g. Wright Flyer) are now included in this group build as per Pin's original proposal.

We have 33! Still room for many more on board the bus; so go on, prod your friends! :poke:!

The List:

1. Pin (Co-Host)

2. Caerbannog

3. SleeperService

4. Giorgio N

5. Arniec

6. heloman1

7. whitestar12chris

8. Misterfriend

9. HansReggelsen

10: Antoine

11: JohnT

12: Milktrip

13: theplasticsurgeon

14: Sgt. Squarehead

15: TonyTiger66 (Co-Host)

16: Rob85

17: CliffB

18: AntPhillips

19: Radleigh

20: Black Knight

21: Avereda

22: Dermo245

23: Jb65rams

24: Sofusthecat

25: Helios16v

26: Angus Tura

27: PhantomBigStu

28: trickyrich

29: mirageiv

30: Bengalensis

31: 71Chally

32: greggles.w

33: Helios16v

All really wonderful and incredibly varied ideas so far. Fantastic! :)

I have edited this on 27th November 2016 to add our 33rd  person!

Thanks to to you all, Pin and I appreciate all these great ideas and this promise ms to be a great, historically informative  and fun group build.

Now we must carry on enthusing people to vote for it :) !

This build is really open to imagination and passions, so lets see more people and more incredible ideas along.

Don't be shy, be welcome to come and join the fun :)

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 5

Thanks Antoine. Its not too bad for aviation; are lots of OOB kits for aircraft, going right back to Frog.

In modern day manufacture; RS Models, Special Hobby, Williams, Valom, Lindberg, Khee-Kha, Kora, Brengun, Monogram, Amodel, Airfix, Revell, and others; also the latter two are good for Space series, but I'm not sure about the other areas. I would think maybe Monogram, Revell, Lindberg for vehicles, Tamiya for motorcycles?

I haven't named specific kits as many fairly standard aircraft (e.g. Letov, Gypsy Moth, Bellanca, Lockheed Vega- Sirius - Delta, Ford Trimotor, Fokker FVII/3M, RWD 5, DH Mosquito, Westland Wapiti, Vickers Wellesley, Meteor, Sukhoi, Mig, Heinkel, Arado) have achieved interesting things in the right hands.

I don't want to suggest too much as I would be interested to hear about achievements I haven't heard of yet. There will be so many. The off the shelf record breakers and pioneers would be perfect.

Conversions absolutely fascinating.
It's just an idea that can be moulded and shaped :)

Best regards
Tony

Not a bad idea. I suppose if one thinks of fastest,highest,deepest,long distance and so on its a big field. I assume ship modellers can do the Blue Ribbon liners and so on.

All transport modes would be included and figures too. Roger Bannister anyone?

• Like 1

A great idea! And enough kits for planes, space and maybe also for cars and bikes. Not sure about tanks. Anyway: Please add me to the list. I have enough candidates in stash: Wright Flyer, Alcock and Brown Vickers Vimy, Ryan Spirit of StLouis, Winnie Mae (or Amelia Earharts) Lockheed Vega, Ellie Beinhorn Klemm 25, Fokker Southern Cross, Tupolev ANT-25, Global Flyer, Bristol 138, X-1, X-15 and lots (LOTS) of other X-planes plus air racers and military record holders like Sage Burner F-104, Steak Eagle F-15, "Streak Flanker", F-104RB and NF-104. Plus of course Vostok and Eagle Lunar Module. I probably forgot a whole bunch. So if this gets through I have a real problem to decide on a build...

Rene

• Like 1

Thank you very much everyone and thanks for looking in.

JohnT those are great ideas. That brings in figures and the beautiful Blue Ribbon ships. That has made me think of other kinds of record breaking and 'first' ships. I started to think about Christopher Columbus in particular :)

Hi Rene, by crikey you have aviation covered! :) I hadn't heard of lots of those. The Klemm 25 sounds nice and a bit unusual. I think the Huma kit is still available from eg Frome Model Centre in the UK.

I've emailed them twice to see if they would post one to me here on the bottom of the world, but no reply :confused:

Mrs. Tiger reminded me of Jean Batten's Percival Gull (Omega kitted this). Yep, X-planes that achieved a 'first' or other record, Mr. Armstrongs small step, the Lunar Rover. The Tupolev TU-144 (it beat Concorde in terms of first flight), but Concorde would surely be the first SST to fly Trans-Atlantic? Thus, these two would qualify.

Tanks? :hmmm: Maybe fastest ever made, largest ever caliber round. Largest tank ever made, first production tank ever made. First helicopter. First auto-gyro. First passenger hovercraft. Fastest helicopter. Largest/smallest manned aircraft ever made....

Keep the ideas coming :)

Thanks Milktrip. I really appreciate it. I'll contact the people that know and see how these things are organised.

Happy modelling all

Tony

PS: I see one limit to things in that 'most produced' would stem the creative, imaginative side of things? Does that seem right or wrong?

Theres a lot of submarines that could qualify for this, but as for the deepest, Firstly there was the Trieste, there is only a very rare kit around for this, as for the other contender, Deepsea Challenger there is no known kit.

Sign me up, i can sort a contender out for this GB

All the best Chris

• Like 2

Thanks Chris and theplasticsurgeon, it looks like we have some interest here :)

I'd better start a list!

Best regards

Tony

Loved that film.....What a cool family history you have! :coolio:

If I can find a kit of it you can put me down for this:

RYXHGah.jpg

2B1 Oka

It's the biggest gun on a tracked chassis that I know of (I had thought the 2A3 Kondensator was king but apparently its elder sibling holds the crown). :nerd:

• Like 3

Ooooh! By crikey Sarge that thing had me lauging out loud! Oh I'm a sick puppy - but that thing is just so 'wrong' :lol: !!!

Now that just has to be built. A hit from that would hurt a bit :o.

Thanks sarge - awesome
Best regards
Tony

Ok Provisional (please contact me if you'd rather not be on the list :) ) list starting:

1: Antoine?

2: JohnT

3: Caerbannog

4: Milktrip

5: Whitestar12chris

6: theplasticsurgeon

7: Sgt. Squarehead

Yes, count me in.

Still between two places without any bench, but maybe the situation will be ok if/when this GB take place.

Might be interesting to take a look at Sharkit.

• Like 1

A hit from that would hurt a bit :o.

On that front it was a bit of a pussycat TBH, it only fired piffling 420mm HE shells.....The 2A3 Kondensator was much nastier; a 406mm bucket of instant sunshine will properly spoil your day! :boom:

America's own nuke thrower "Atomic Annie" is probably the biggest gun on a self-propelled wheeled carriage that I can think of, Dragon do a not even slightly reasonably priced kit in 1/72 (& possibly 1/35):

AC4.jpg

If we are going up to railway guns things get much easier, "Dora" is available in 1/144, 1/72 & 1/35 IIRC:

82-b%20g.jpg

In the bigger scales this one can prove to be inconveniently large! :shutup:

• Like 1

Yes, count me in.

Still between two places without any bench, but maybe the situation will be ok if/when this GB take place.

Might be interesting to take a look at Sharkit.

Thanks Antoine it's great to have you on board :)

The Sharkit site is pretty amazing; A real variety of wild and wonderful kits there :o. I'm fond of the Leduc aircraft and there are some very cool X-planes there too. Surely someone will do the Special Hobby X-15?

I've put myself down. I live very close to Brisbane Airport; The Southern Cross is near there. I will do a Valom kit of The Southern Cross.

Best regards

Tony

On that front it was a bit of a pussycat TBH, it only fired piffling 420mm HE shells.....The 2A3 Kondensator was much nastier; a 406mm bucket of instant sunshine will properly spoil your day! :boom:

America's own nuke thrower "Atomic Annie" is probably the biggest gun on a self-propelled wheeled carriage that I can think of, Dragon do a not even slightly reasonably priced kit in 1/72 (& possibly 1/35):

AC4.jpg

If we are going up to railway guns things get much easier, "Dora" is available in 1/144, 1/72 & 1/35 IIRC:

82-b%20g.jpg

In the bigger scales this one can prove to be inconveniently large! :shutup:

Now, what kind of war situation were the Americans actually considering whereby nukes could be fired at each other like cannon balls?? :o. That one would definitely be a qualifier for 'most powerful single round shot'!

Amodel make a kit of the 'Tsar Bomba'. The most powerful explosive device ever detonated. 58 Megatons, equivalent to all the explosives detonated in WWII.....times 10!!! A 40 mile high mushroom cloud and an explosion that could be seen 400 miles away.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/178352-amodel-72265-an602-tsar-bomba

https://youtu.be/IUIMgbXOmJg

Strap the Amodel kit to a Tu-95 kit and the Academy B-29 nuke carrier pales by comparison. Apparently the Amodel kit instruction sheet gives instructions on how to modify a TU-95 kit to fit the bomb. A slightly grim record breaker!

I've also been watching videos of Ohio class US submarines. That would probably be in Chris's area. They are big and very potent!

Best regards

Tony

Hmmm. I just read about the world 'absolute speed record'. It brings into play some very interesting machines. The Supermarine Swift F4 is one, the Fairey Delta another and the Douglas Skyray another :)

Feel free to share ideas like this for any record breakers. Oh; the V2 rocket was apparently the first rocket to officially go into space! Is that really true? It is also stated to be the first ICBM, and I do believe that to be true; so the V1 is in :)

Best regards

Tony

Oooh: FH Phantom; first aircraft to land on a USN aircraft carrier deck.....;)

T

• Like 1

What a great idea Tony - I would definitely be in with something.

Just a couple of questions to help me choose a subject please;

1) Is first in a race OK (I'm thinking Schneider Trophy S6B)?

2) Are technological firsts now being accepted (e.g your V2 example)? If so, then I'd maybe do an Il'ya Muromets - the world's first four engined aircraft and also the first bomber with an internal bomb bay (or so I believe!).

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

Hi Cliff. Those are just superb ideas. You've also made me think. I need to think about the wording for the GB title as first in just any race would be probably a bit too broad?

Any ideas from anyone on how to word the concept properly would be really welcome.

Every first place in every race of any kind ever would not be quite right, it's more 'first' in the sense you have with the Ilya and S6B. The Ilya was one remarkable aircraft. To see one of those as a WIP would be wonderful; it would take someone very brave (and patient) to do the rigging, but it would be worth it :)

The S6B was a first and a fastest and a record breaker! Serial S1596 broke the world air speed record.

So far everything everyone has suggested is a true 'Roy Castle' style 'Record Breaker'.

Perhaps it should be reworded as that?

Hope I can count you in Cliff, either of those would be superb :thumbsup2:

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

How about "Prototypes, experimentals and recordbreakers"? Still a bit long but I have no better idea at the moment.

In american military terminology "Experimental" will cover X- and XF-, XB- etc.

and "Prototypes" will cover all for example YF-, YB-,...

So for all other countries it will be the same type of thing.

Recordbreaker can be "first", "fastest", "longest", "heaviest", "tallest", ...

I am not sure myself but I would think that would pretty much cover it. Airracers after WWII are labelled "EXPERIMENTAL". The D.H. Comet as a purpose build racer could be regarded as prototype maybe - at least in Grovner House markings it would fit the record breaker. Other early air racers are mostly prototypes or experimentals as well in my eyes and or record breaker. This will rule out those air racers which are more or less stock and which have won an air race but without setting a new record. There will be some I am sure - but in the end the available options should be enough to choose from.

I guess some race cars are similar.

Saturn V (first moon rocket) is clearly a record breaker as Vostok (first man in space).

The Dora railway gun is clearly a prototype to me - and (no idea about tanks and stuff) what I see above seems to fit as well.

René

• Like 4

I like that René:

That captures the pioneering spirit very well. I had honestly been trying to figure out how to include some of the Zurich air races aircraft, some pre war racing cars and the 'Little Entente' participants.

I love prototypes. I think it has to be limited to designs that were built and tried, not paper planes, paper cars/bikes/AFV's or space exploration projects that never left the drawing board.

The Gloster Whittle is a first and a prototype. The Airacomet....

Should Spitfire and Me 109 prototypes be allowed? Yes - about time :)

Righto - that has made it even more fascinating - I'll change the title. There are some prototypes I would love to include, like the Henschel 132, Me P1101. They came so close, but never flew :( Not those sadly. It brings in some fascinating Soviet rocket planes, and many were indeed, firsts :)

Thanks René
Best regards
Tony

• Like 1

Thanks Milktrip. I hope so too. It seems GB's should be broad and encompass many areas of modelling. It looks like this (evolving) idea does encompass those many areas. It will be a long time yet (if we get another 21 people), but it will be a great deal of fun!
Even if it doesn't get through - it will give us a few pretty amazing ideas for WIP :)

Best regards

Tony

So now we're open up to Horten 229 V2, Fairey Delta, Jaguar XK120, Aston Martin DB4, Lamborghini Countach and International Space Station (largest artificial body in orbit). That sounds ok :D