Tamiya 1/35 M1A2 Abrams Tusk II

I started this last year before work and a Meng Cougar got in the way. I'd stuffed it to one side thinking that the Cougar would be finished within a few weeks. Oops! Six months down the line and I'm looking for all the bits. Might as well start with the sprue picture. At least it shows that I still have to find the side skirts, the Eduard brass and a gun barrel.

sIMG_0139_zpstypulyqt.jpg

Moving on here's the point I'd reached last year.

sIMG_0137_zps4wushnnx.jpg

There's a difference in the anti slip layers on the hull and turret. I'd just obtained Mig's antislip compound in a tube and started on the hull. Its much too course for modern armour and probably wouldn't look out of place on some of the older Russian gear. As a result of this I shifted to Mr. Shifter 500, painted it on, waited until it had dried a bit and then stippled it with a hard brush. Seems like a reasonable result for the moment. I read that some folks spray the stuff with their airbrush but I'd be worried I couldn't get the airbrush properly cleaned.

Close up of the two effects:

sIMG_0141_zpsrvzf5jwl.jpg

Here's a view of the work on the running gear so far:

sIMG_0142_zpsnyul8d3l.jpg

I'd chipped some of the tyres but its not easy to see as I didn't want to make it too extreme.

I decided to go with the rubber tracks that came with the kit rather than investing in Fruils. I hope I don't regret that later. Going on the premise that the bulk of the track is hidden behind the skirts (if I can find them) and the quality of the Tamiya tracks I thought I'd give the Tamiya ones a go.

Edited by Reilly
  • Like 6

If you have lacquer thinners or cellulose thinners it will clean it out the airbrush. As long as you strip it properly it will be fine but as you were stippling it you didn't have to worry about brush strokes.

The tracks should be fine as the connection and any sag will be hidden behind the side shields. I used the band tracks on my Abrams no problem.

Looking good!

Next time, if you can find this, or something similar, on your side of the pond, it is magnificent for anti slip.

DSCF5033_zpsd47e4c4d.jpg

Mask and lightly spray several coats until you have built up a suitable surface.

DSCF3200.jpg

DSCF3199.jpg

G

Edited by AgentG
  • Like 3

Looking good!

Next time, if you can find this, or something similar, on your side of the pond, it is magnificent for anti slip.

DSCF5033_zpsd47e4c4d.jpg

Mask and lightly spray several coats until you have built up a suitable surface.

G

Same brand that I used, AgentG, just the terracotta one :)

Did the job nicely :)

Gaz

• Like 1

Thanks for the interest. The Rust-Oleum result looks ideal. I have a couple of cans being held for me for my next trip State-side. There is a supplier here of Rust-Oleum's products but I can't seem to get them to admitting that the can shown is one of their products. Just had a look at Gaz's Abrams; nice paint job. I've been working on the rubber bands supplied by Tamiya. The idea of the paint job was to have them the basic look they would have had when they left Lima and then apply the necessary light weathering. Up to now only the track horns have been silvered, rubbers painted and sand colour applied, now the rest.

sIMG_0146_zpswoh7vn2s.jpg

• Like 2

Added some dust (sand and rubble) to the tracks. The rubber doesn't look too bad. Once the TUSK kit has been added it should hide the lack of sag. Pity I can't find the skirts.....or the cannon. I have an older Abrams in the stash and had thought about making the TUSK myself. A quick look at a photo put me off that idea. I could buy a second kit but I'd rather spend the cash on the new MENG version. I guess I'll be hunting round the workshop for a while.

Does anybody out there have a recommendation for painting the periscopes? Modern periscopes are red due to the IR filters. I had replaced the Tamiya plastic with the brass from Eduard. I tried painting then with transparent red and then using gloss varnish. The result isn't good and certainly not glass like (see second photo).

sIMG_0147_zpszpqrythz.jpg

sIMG_0148_zpsn1zgsgaz.jpg

sIMG_0149_zpsnocpynpi.jpg

• Like 4

It does not seem so bad, anyway photo does not allow fully appreciate what you mention, it is very small.
You could try using a piece of clear plastic from any packaging, leftover pieces from another kit, etc ... and then paint it with the same, and stick with special glue that will not stain when dry (maybe for glass)., cheers Reilly :popcorn:

Thanks Francis, that gave me an idea. I'll try experimenting with a layer of Krystal Klear from Microscale. That may bring back some of the glass look if I bring it onto the already painted layer.

I found some "Origami Foil" at a local craft store. The colors were near perfect. I used the foil and covered it with Krystal Klear. After that I used a small brush and painted on a thin layer of Future.

G

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found most of the missing parts. Some of them were where you'd expect them to be....in a box alongside parts for a King Tiger while the rest were tucked away safely in a heap of extra parts. Work has been recommenced. Here's my first effort at soldering brass. Up to now I've always used superglue with mixed results. Needs some work but makes for a more stable construction.

sIMG_0151_zpsc9ywfoj6.jpg

Some general progress next, side skirts mounted and waiting to be weathered a little. Now working on various parts for the turret bins and commanders cupola.

sIMG_0152_zpsqtgfkcw3.jpg

• Like 3

Turned my attention to the smoke grenade launchers. This kit comes with the M250, 6 barrelled launchers. Eduard had a replacement part for the mount for these which I put together and they don't work. At least not in the way they show. The set up for the left hand side is shown below. The plastic support on the right hand side of the picture is from Tamiya. The Eduard version is on the left hand side. There is no way the launcher fits the Eduard version properly. The second photo below shows an M1A1 in Iraq which on closer inspection would indicate that the Tamiya mount for the M250 is far closer to reality. Sometimes I think Eduard makes parts just to fill a sheet of etched parts. Tamiya it is then.

sIMG_0158_zps1hessvev.jpg

sM1A1%20launcher_zps0ulmf14m.jpg

I had planned to add the serial number to the turret. Its on the front right hand side. On closer inspection realised that Tamiya had already added it. Hadn't quite expected that yet they miss the T bars for hanging the tow cable eyes from on the lower part of the turret. Oh well, at least they are easy to replicate. .

Edited by Reilly
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like my soldering technique needs improving somewhat. This was supposed to be an ammo box but turned out to be burnt fingers, bad language and a mess of brass and solder.

sIMG_0160_zpsk1mmrrnf.jpg

Eventually it did clean up (two green boxes on top of turret in next photo) and I managed to get hold of a smaller battery powered soldering iron which works rather well for the smaller work. Here's work on the turret with most for the basic brass fitted and a bit of pre-shading.

sIMG_0164_zpshrruurom.jpg

The Tamiya tow cables looked really bad so I decided to make my own and use the Eduard brass for fixing them to the turret. The grenade launchers have been drilled out. Spent a lot of time trying to get the colours right on the optics. As they are multilayer coatings this means that they appear to change colour when the angle of view changes, red when face on and blue from an angle. The results weren't great so its just going to have to be red.

Edited by Reilly

On the Rust-oleum question I managed to pick up some locally which was a surprise. I had a practice on some gash plastic and the results were mixed. I had acquired a tin of desert sand and another of pebble dash.

sIMG_0165_zps8e7fenhi.jpg

The pebble dash was much too varied in texture however will make an excellent basis in a diorama and save a lot of time creating a textured base. I thought the desert sand would be closer to the results that Agent G had on his Abrams. Although it says desert sand on the tin its more like desert dust. Thought I may not have shaken the can sufficiently so went at it like a demented baboon for a good ten minutes but still the result was rather dusty. I'll try layering up a few coatings later and see if that helps the result.

Edited by Reilly
  • Like 1

On the Rust-oleum question I managed to pick up some locally which was a surprise. I had a practice on some gash plastic and the results were mixed. I had acquired a tin of desert sand and another of pebble dash.

sIMG_0165_zps8e7fenhi.jpg

The pebble dash was much too varied in texture however will make an excellent basis in a diorama and save a lot of time creating a textured base. I thought the desert sand would be closer to the results that Agent G had on his Abrams. Although it says desert sand on the tin its more like desert dust. Thought I may not have shaken the can sufficiently so went at it like a demented baboon for a good ten minutes but still the result was rather dusty. I'll try layering up a few coatings later and see if that helps the result.

I just had a facepalm moment as I had completely overlooked the prospect of using the large can of Rust-Oleum I bought as texture for a diorama base ><

Kudos for that, Reilly, heh :P

Gaz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...