Sturmtiger...

This build is part of a group build on another forum, the choice of a Sturmtiger is a diversion from my present modelling itinery, but one I am enjoying immensely. The model I have based the build on is the Revell Tiger H, the CMK resin set for the Sturmtiger, Voyager photo-etch grilles. I was going to use OKB Grigorov tracks, but decided to save them for another TIger project. Here is a view of the basis of this build...

Sturmtiger%201.jpg

I have been able to get off to a good start with my build, I made up the Revell hull in order to add Zimmerit, which is very evident on the lower hull of Sturmtigers. I decided to try out Squadron Green Putty to do this, I have a special tool for making the grooves and this was very much a 'suck it and see' exercise. I am pleased with the results and will be refining the technique on future models, here is the hull after applying the Zimmerit...

Sturmtiger%202.jpg

Sturmtiger%203.jpg

Sturmtiger%204.jpg

Sturmtiger%205.jpg

I used low tack masking tape to blank off the areas that I didn't want Zimmerit on and I could go over it with the Green Putty and then remove it without damaging the other areas, a good result.

Next up was the running gear, I just push fitted it as I wanted to have the tracks removable for painting...

Sturmtiger%207.jpg

I also cleaned all the detail off the top of the hull in preparation of fitting the resin fighting compartment...

Sturmtiger%209.jpg

The link and length tracks went on without too much trouble, I decided to save my OKB tracks for another Tiger project I have planned for later on...

Sturmtiger%2010.jpg

Sturmtiger%2011.jpg

With the tracks done I could glue the fighting compartment in place, this is the CMK offering and is not too bad and is a reasonable basis for further detailing...

Sturmtiger%2012.jpg

Sturmtiger%2013.jpg

Sturmtiger%2014.jpg

Sturmtiger%2015.jpg

Sturmtiger%2016.jpg

With the fighting compartment and back plate fitted they were sanded down and cleaned up, next comes all the detailing - starting with the addition of the rear engine deck...

Sturmtiger%2017.jpg

And the corresponding bolts on the hull sides with the ones on the fighting compartment...

Sturmtiger%2018.jpg

The rear mudflaps and jack were added (with a bit of Photo-etch happy.gif)...

Sturmtiger%2019.jpg

And that is it for now, I will be getting more detail done as there is a lot of bits to add on and, hopefully, I will be close to painting this beast in a few weeks. All comments welcome.

All the best,

Paul

• Like 5

Paul Giles, on 30 Jun 2016 - 11:04 AM, said:

Thank you, I hope it will shine up with the extra detail I plan on incorporating. Just trying to decide on the colour scheme :hmmm: .

All the best,

Paul

Some time ago one ends like that, maybe I will be useful, if you had not seen before, if you are interested

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234996856-juggernaut-has-come/page-1

Cheers mate :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Francis,

Thank you for the link, I found it very interesting, really nice interpretation of the vehicle.

All the best,

Paul

Hi Everyone,

I have been progressing well with the build and have got to the painting stage. There have been a few glitches and I may have to correct some omissions and problem parts. Anyway this is the point I was at in the previous update....

Sturmtiger%2019.jpg

From this point I set about fitting the exhausts and their shrouds, there was some photo-etch from the Voyager set. This is a really nice set and I thoroughly recommend it, I took the muffler caps and exhaust shrouds from this set...

Sturmtiger%2020.jpg

Sturmtiger%2021.jpg

Sturmtiger%2022.jpg

To bend the shrouds I annealed them first and you have to use a blunt point to score the raised ridge on the top and bottom of the muffler. I also used the side skirts from the set for this model, I decided not to use them all and leave gaps where some have been damaged and removed...

Sturmtiger%2023.jpg

Sturmtiger%2024.jpg

Sturmtiger%2025.jpg

Sturmtiger%2027.jpg

You will also see my first attempt at the lifting points on the corners of the fighting compartment, they are quite incorrect and had to be removed and replaced with correct ones, these will be seen in the last photograph of the set.

I also used the minute bolt-on points for the side skirts from the set where the missing skirts should be...

Sturmtiger%2026.jpg

I then made some grab handles for the top hatch, which had just some resin lines to represent them...

Sturmtiger%2028.jpg

I then fitted the exhaust shrouds to the rear plate...

Sturmtiger%2029.jpg

I made some side brackets for the tow cable, these were made out of aluminium taken from used tea-lights (thank you to my wife), I use the side wall stripped from the tea light. The aluminium works well and forms the pieces easily, unfortunately they were not the success I hoped for as you will see later...

Sturmtiger%2031.jpg

I then added the side skirts to the other side and also added the bolt-on points as well...

Sturmtiger%2032.jpg

Next up was the jack block, this was made out of styrene sheet and the photo-etch support for the block was taken from the Voyager set...

Sturmtiger%2034.jpg

Sturmtiger%2035.jpg

You may also notice the nice engine grilles, also by Voyager, these are the finest grilles I have seen in a set, quite outstanding. I fitted the mudguards from the CMK set, they seemed to be ok...

Sturmtiger%2036.jpg

Here is the Sturmtiger with the tracks back on, unfortunately the aluminium brackets didn't survive past this point and I may make some new ones from brass, this will be after I have primed the vehicle...

Sturmtiger%2037.jpg

Sturmtiger%2038.jpg

Finally I primed the model ready for painting, I am doing it in a soft edge three colour scheme...

Sturmtiger%2039.jpg

Sturmtiger%2040.jpg

Well that is it for now, I just have to replace the aluminium brackets and then get my airbrush out and get some paint on the thing. I am looking forward to this and hopefully I will be able to realise this over the next few days. As usual, all comments welcome.

All the best,

Paul

• Like 4

Nice work Paul :) one thing I noticed was that you'd put the side skirts over the Zimmerit. I might be wrong, but I thought the Zimm was applied at the factory with the fenders in place, so there wouldn't be any under the ripped off sections. It's possible they could even just have red oxide primer under there. :)

Nice work Paul :) one thing I noticed was that you'd put the side skirts over the Zimmerit. I might be wrong, but I thought the Zimm was applied at the factory with the fenders in place, so there wouldn't be any under the ripped off sections. It's possible they could even just have red oxide primer under there. :)

Hi Mike,

Like you I wasn't sure about how the Zimmerit was applied to the Sturmtiger, I looked at numerous photos to see what the actual vehicle looked like. It would appear that the Zimmerit was applied all the way down the hull side and the side skirts added after, as shown by the photo here....

12014285996_6743aac997_b.jpg

I looked through a book I have - 'Tigers in Combat Vol. I' and the Tigers with damaged fenders also show Zimmerit under the area of the fenders, so this was the case for all Tigers from what I can see. Always good to check and re-check before you do something. Mind you I had to strip some of the 'Zimmerit' off and stick a strip of styrene sheet in place to glue the fenders as supeglue doesn't stick well to Squadron Green Putty, well it does stick but the bond is weak and the fenders can be knocked off easily, they are firmly fixed now.

All the best,

Paul

• Like 2

I managed to find some suitable photo-etch brass that would do very well for the brackets and set about replacing the aluminium ones,,,,

Sturmtiger%2041.jpg

Sturmtiger%2042.jpgtu

While I was modifying stuff, I decided to detail the rear hatch. I put a grab handle on the hatch, there wasn't one there before, and set about producing a better hinge assembly....

Sturmtiger%2043.jpg

I also took the opportunity to put a Bosch light on the front glacis...

Sturmtiger%2044.jpg

And just for good measure I decided to put a tow cable on one of the set of brackets, the cable is from the Eureka Tiger set...

Sturmtiger%2045.jpg

Sturmtiger%2046.jpg

Finally all the new additions were primed and now the beast is really ready for the painting stage...

Sturmtiger%2047.jpg

Sturmtiger%2048.jpg

Sturmtiger%2049.jpg

Hopefully I will get the airbrush fired up later this week and get some paint on the vehicle, all comments welcome.

All the best,

Paul

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

@ FrancisGL...

I will be painting it soon and then the weathering can begin :yahoo:

@ Model Monkey...

Thank you for your kind comment. I am very pleased that it turned out well, next up for the Zimmerit treatment will be a Brummbar. Should be interesting, nice flat sides.

• 2 years later...

They did not have a breech in the normal sense, they fired a 380mm rocket propelled shell with a 125 kg warhead, that is what the holes around the barrel are for, ventilation shafts.  The shell and launcher were originally designed by the navy to attack submarines, after Stalingrad the idea to use it in a Tiger chassis was developed as a way to clear bunkers and other hardened targets . There was always a shortage of Tiger tanks so they were converted from Tigers in small batches of 3-5 and only 19 were made in all, the first entering service in February 1944.

• Like 1