Hanomag Sdkfz 251/1

Hi Folks! This is my first Armor post on BM. I have up till now mostly done aircraft but seeing the great topics posted here inspired me to give tanks etc another shot. This is the (very) old Tamiya kit from the early 70's, and was a nice easy build. I added the tarp rolled up over the side fenders, and added the aircraft id flag over the front (made from loo roll soaked in white glue solution and applied to the model while still wet). I still have to complete the last couple of figures that come with the kit, and mat eventually make some sort of base for it. Thanks for watching, here are the pics...

IMG_2340_zps9yiyouwc.jpg

IMG_2339_zpsvbqbrxnc.jpg

IMG_2338_zpsrnohipqp.jpg

IMG_2337_zpstod2aabo.jpg

All comments welcome, cheers Greg :thumbsup:

• Like 15

Hi Greg. Well for your first AVF post on BM that is excellent. The weathering looks really well done - very impressive. The figures bring it to life and I like the additional flag and tarp. If I understand correctly - how did you get the flag image onto loo roll? I could do with doing something like that for one of my future builds.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Greg. Well for your first AVF post on BM that is excellent. The weathering looks really well done - very impressive. The figures bring it to life and I like the additional flag and tarp. If I understand correctly - how did you get the flag image onto loo roll? I could do with doing something like that for one of my future builds.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix, and thanks for the kind comments. The flag was toilet paper cut to size then painted/dabbed with a solution of watered down white glue. When it was partially dry i painted it with red watercolour paint, which moistened it again. I then positioned the flag on the model and left it to dry overnight. Once totally dry i used a 1/72 scale swastika from a decal set heavily coated in decal softener. Once that dried i gave it a coat of matt varnish and finally weathered it with humbrol powders. The tarp was formed in a similar fashion being put on to the model while it was still moist. Cheers Greg.

• Like 3

I really like it! Like Stix, the tarp and flag really bring the model to life! I'm surprised that the toilet paper did not breake up in the PVA solution!

Thanks Alpha Delta! The loo paper had to be treated carefully and handled with care to avoid tearing. I think not flooding it with the glue solution is the trick to avoiding "break up. Cheers Greg.

Nice one Greg.

Cheers Ozzy, not up to your high standards mate, but it was a nice change from planes, :thumbsup:

Nice build Greg, mate.

Those old Tamiya kits were not bad ...

:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

Simon.

Thanks Simon :thumbsup2: All the best, Greg

Not bad, a classic ... :goodjob: ,cheers mate

Thank you Francis, much appreciated :thumbsup2: cheers Greg

• Like 2

Hi Stix, and thanks for the kind comments. The flag was toilet paper cut to size then painted/dabbed with a solution of watered down white glue. When it was partially dry i painted it with red watercolour paint, which moistened it again. I then positioned the flag on the model and left it to dry overnight. Once totally dry i used a 1/72 scale swastika from a decal set heavily coated in decal softener. Once that dried i gave it a coat of matt varnish and finally weathered it with humbrol powders. The tarp was formed in a similar fashion being put on to the model while it was still moist. Cheers Greg.

That's brilliant! Thank you for the information.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
19 hours ago, celt said:

Love half-tracks,I also built this kit from Tamiya but I did the desert version,looks really good in panzer grey,tidy.:clap2::clap2:

Thanks Celt, glad you like it. Still an enjoyable kit to build despite its age. Cheers GregĀ :D

Edited by GREG DESTEC