The iconic Westland Sea King? Which one?

GMK

On a bit of a Sea King hit at the moment. Having chosen a Sikorsky machine to build, I feel obliged to cast my eye on the Westland examples in UK service.

So, my question: which mark represents the 'iconic' Westland Sea King best?

This is purely subjective, of course, but I'm interested in the why, as well. Marking information is a bonus.

Thanks!

• Like 1

For public visibility the HAR 3, but the HC 4 will forever be associated with the liberation of the Falklands. Glad I don't have to make the choice just now. Oh, and the early RN dark blue-grey with big white numbers and red, white n blue roundels.......

• Like 1

In the public eye, the yellow RAF HAR3s.

That rather depends where you were. In Cornwall 771 Sqn's were the thing, especially on Lifeboat Day, and fairly well known 'round Prestwick way too. Much nicer markings, as well.

• Like 1

Ray, not too interested in RAN service, TBH. Pretty boring schemes, apart from that appalling 'great white shark' paint job. My Sea Kings will be in 'native' schemes - USN for the SH-3, either (or both?) RN or RAF for the Westland Sea King/s.

• Like 1

That rather depends where you were. In Cornwall 771 Sqn's were the thing, especially on Lifeboat Day, and fairly well known 'round Prestwick way too. Much nicer markings, as well.

Where could I obtain the 771 Sqn markings from (1/72)?

The most 'iconic' in the public eyes has to be the RAF SAR HAR.3/3As.

Being from Cornwall the Royal Navy SAR Sea Kings were pretty renowned for their work and dramatic rescues (Penlee etc) as well.

Personally I like the oddity of the AEW/ASaCs!

• Like 1