1 72 Airfix BAe Harrier GR9A - Completed! (pg.20)

Time to get going with this build, guys! :)

PAVLA resin cockpit:

28071919301_4da1aa7f1c_o.jpg

27868973350_1e15d247fe_o.jpg

One of the HUD brackets broke off; I found it like that when I opened the box, so I guess this happened during the shipment. Not a big deal, as I didn't like how those brackets looked, so I'm scratchbuilding a new HUD

28071919001_983ea811df_o.jpg

Front fuselage halves, the kit coaming has to go:

28071922541_56093d69fb_o.jpg

Interiors: the little side consoles have to go as well, while the "ribs" need to be shortened

27534930143_cc45c12dae_o.jpg

Coaming gone, using a Dremel sawing disc and a knife with a curved blade for refining

28071921901_ea323ba6d7_o.jpg

With the same kind of tool I removed the casting blocks from the resin tub and the IP/coaming piece. To carve out the interior details, I used another Dremel tool:

28046350882_f5af225268_o.jpg

After some fettling, dry-fitting, etc, here's how the interiors look like:

27868973710_777f8f25a9_o.jpg

and here's the tub, dry fitted in place:

28071920721_a24cf9a47d_o.jpg

I suspect there's going to be more to do to have the coaming/IP to sit in properly, but that is going to be next time :winkgrin:

Comments welcome.

Ciao

• Like 9

At least with the resin cockpit etc there will be no tail sitting ?

Do later Harriers tail sit? I've only built the early generation ones & I don't recall them doing so. I think the main u/c (& possibly the outriggers) are behind the CoG?

• Like 2

Do later Harriers tail sit? I've only built the early generation ones & I don't recall them doing so. I think the main u/c (& possibly the outriggers) are behind the CoG?

​You are probably right there Keith, the tandem u/c as well helps in that respect too.

Simon.

• Like 1

That resin pit fits quite well. Good job.

Thanks for commenting, Teeradej :thumbsup:

Nice start Giemme and the resin cockpit does look nice and seems to fit well.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix :thumbsup: The tub itself is a good fit, not quite so is the IP/coaming :( ... see below

All looks good for a start Giemme. :coolio:

A good fit by the looks of it. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

At least with the resin cockpit etc there will be no tail sitting ?

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thanks :thumbsup:

Nice start Giorgio !

No problem with tailsitting on the Airfix Harrier GR.9. Or any other Harrier really, the landing gear arrangement avoids this

Thanks Giorgio, good to know I don't have to worry about putting in some nose weight :thumbsup2:

This is looking interesting

Cheers Mark, thanks for popping in :thumbsup2:

Great work on the cockpit, Giorgio!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime! :thumbsup:

So, last night I test fitted the IP/coaming resin part, and while I was there I also removed the windscreen form its sprue (huge sprue gates there as well :hobbyhorse: ) and dry fitted that in place; the coaming looks nothing like the real thing!

28088605591_10b3dce394_b.jpg

28132820486_9ea87b953e_b.jpg

Different length (should be longer) and definitely different shape .... :(

I'm already thinking hard on how to sort this out; it will probably involve some reshaping using milliput, will see. Any inputs appreciated

Ciao

• Like 4

Hi everybody; not much time for modelling last WE, here's a very little progress made on the coaming area:

28202153956_205c0dc619_b.jpg

I've glued a strip of .5 mm plasticard on the bottom of the coaming, now it seats higher and looks more like the real thing

28131896172_0f5b95c566_b.jpg

This will serve also as a base to add some milliput and reshape the front end of the coaming. Fingers crossed! :banghead:

Ciao

• Like 7

Hi Giemme.

Just a little warning about your build.

I have learned all Harriers have a side step on the right just under the intake that is linked to the canopy.

If you are going to let the canopy open, just remember to build that step.

You can see this feature at 3:15 of this video.

Good luck with your build.

Eugenio

P.S. Fantastic Phantom. (Can't wait to see in person: I'll beg Silvano for a guided visit to the ac factory)

• Like 3

Eugenio, thanks very much for the heads up! :thumbsup: In fact, I'm planning to build my Harrier with open canopy, and I would have probably totally missed that detail :banghead:

P.S. Fantastic Phantom. (Can't wait to see in person: I'll beg Silvano for a guided visit to the ac factory)

:D :D Thank you for that, much appreciated! :thumbsup: FOr the guided tour, whenever you want, guys - just keep in mind that next Friday I'm leaving for a couple of weeks, then I'll be back end of July :D:coolio::snorkle:

Ciao

Edited by giemme

Hi giemme. I do like your fix for the coaming issue :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Nice save Giemme, looks better for it.

Simon.

Cheers Stix and Simon, thank you, also for trusting me on this, as this is only the beginning of the fix :frantic: The critical part is adding and shaping the milliput (never done before, but hey - you gotta start somewhere :analintruder: )

Good to see you cracking on with this on giemme! Very nice work.

Rob

Thanks Rob! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

I do like your fix for the coaming issue

Yes. But the resin part sure looks high and not flat enough -- probably to fit inside the thick canopy?

(I know absolutely nothing about the real airplane). :shrug:

Gene K

harrier-tribute-95.jpg

• Like 4

Yes. But the resin part sure looks high and not flat enough -- probably to fit inside the thick canopy?

It's definitely not flat enough, hence my idea to attempt a re-shaping using milliput; and putting that plasticard strip underneath the coaming was to purposely raise the whole thing a bit. If you compare your pic with my last one, the height should be just about right. The kit windshield isn't that thick, so I guess I should be able to pretty much reproduce the real thing (that is, if I'm good enough to work with milliput :banghead::analintruder: ).

Meanwhile, the PAVLA resin air intakes set has arrived, so I can get on doing some more dry-fitting of the whole AC :yahoo:

Ciao

• Like 4

I shouldn't be surprised that your attention to detail has lead you to completely reshape the coaming Giorgio. Looking forward to your Milliput adventures.

Thanks Cookie :thumbsup:

Here's my attempt at re-shaping the coaming:

28258284535_a60d7a2e40_b.jpg

27977412300_b6167faedf_b.jpg

28224167486_d624a6faf0_b.jpg

Milliput was left to set overnight, so that now I can start shaping and sanding it. Will see, I'll probably need another round to get the correct shape, or close to that ... :hmmm:

Also, here is Pavla resin set for exhausts and air intakes:

28180407281_ed63138d61_b.jpg

Any comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 9

Those intakes and exhausts look a lot better than stock Giemme, no nasty seam lines!!!!

Simon.

I agree with Simon, they look very worthwhile replacements!

Good luck with the coaming, I'm sure it's going to be a huge improvement!

Keith

And I agree with both of you, and wish to thank once more Eng for suggesting I should get them! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1