1 72 Airfix BAe Harrier GR9A - Completed! (pg.20)

Hi giemme. Good luck with the re-shaping! That Pavla resin set does look exceeding good!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix! :thumbsup:

Here's the result of the re-shaping: using mostly my ETS

28195721322_4b765faaf3_b.jpg

28299866325_96ffb9f17b_b.jpg

28299865575_84f9e52c9a_b.jpg

I did refine the sanding using a nail sanding stick, but I'll probably have to do some micro-filling around the HUD area before spraying any primer on. Anyway, here are some dry fit shots:

28299863705_d5aaa136c5_b.jpg

27684130593_c76e318daf_b.jpg

28221313621_f990c85ed5_b.jpg

The windshield slipped a bit forward in the last pic, but I think the coaming is now a good approximation of the real one

Comments welcome, as usual. I'll be off to beautiful Sicily for a couple of weeks of vacation now, but I'll keep an eye on you guys! :winkgrin::D

Ciao

• Like 10

Looks very good to me giemme, nice work! Glad your sitting back and relaxing with this build....

Rob

Thanks Rob! :thumbsup: .D

Excellent use of milliput and ETS, Giemme.

Enjoy Sicily!

Cheers Cookie, thanks, I will :winkgrin:

Ciao

Definitely a real improvement Giorgio :) - very worthwhile seeing as how prominent a feature the coaming is.

Looks to me like it now captures the breadth of the flat top of the coaming nicely. No mean feat getting such a neat and symmetrical finish from a milliput master!

Have a good hols. I'd like to visit Sicily - maybe something to do with it looking so gorgeous in the Montalbano TV series.........(shallow but true)

• Like 1

Definitely a real improvement Giorgio :) - very worthwhile seeing as how prominent a feature the coaming is.

Looks to me like it now captures the breadth of the flat top of the coaming nicely. No mean feat getting such a neat and symmetrical finish from a milliput master!

Have a good hols. I'd like to visit Sicily - maybe something to do with it looking so gorgeous in the Montalbano TV series.........(shallow but true)

Thanks Steve, I'm glad you like it! :thumbsup: As for holydays, I'm right in the middle of the places of where the Tv series was shot :thumbsup2: I would have never thought you got to watch that over there! I'm an avid reader of the

books from which the series was originated, btw. These places are really wonderful (been here in the exact same place also 3 years ago), definitely worth a (long) visit :thumbsup:

I like this allot. Coaming looks good now.

Thanks Hockeyboy76! :thumbsup:

Ciao

Edited by giemme

Sicily giemme! Very nice my wife and I spent 2 weeks relaxing in taormina for our honey moon. Absolutely loved it there and would love to go back a have a look at the rest of the island.

Enjoy your trip!

Rob

• Like 1

Sicily giemme! Very nice my wife and I spent 2 weeks relaxing in taormina for our honey moon. Absolutely loved it there and would love to go back a have a look at the rest of the island.

Enjoy your trip!

Rob

Cheers Rob, thanks! :thumbsup: I drove by Taormina on my way here this morning, had the chance to visit it many years ago. I'm now much souther than Taormina, still great places :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

Looking very fine, that is a marvellous job on the cockpit and its coaming

I can't wait to see the fuselage coming together, this is becoming a go-to WIP now Giorgio

Lovely

Cheers perdu, thanks :thumbsup: I've yet to sort out the HUD scratch building before I can think of the fuselage, but hopefully I'll come up with some ideas while I'm relaxing :winkgrin::coolio:

Ciao

Edited by giemme

I used the thinnest acetate packing material I could find when I HUDded the Jaguars

Some very fine clear screen materiel in chocolate packaging I see :)

Guess who might have welcomed the excess of 'unwanted' chocolate this generated ;)

I made the side frames first and then added the screen imaging area

Hardly mattered, the Jaguars were all 1/72 scale

The HUD vanished inside the screen area when done, they were only about 2mm wide :(

With the clear frontal screen area of the BAE Harrier version there's far more chance of us seeing the 'target area...

• Like 2

Perdu, "excess" and "unwanted" are words that cannot be, in any way, associated with chocolate :coolio::D

Thanks for the heads up, anyway; I think I have something similar in my spares box to get a suitable screen (double screen, actually, on this Harrier); I'm more concerned about the frame, 'cause as you say is going to be a very visible area... :hmmm:

Ciao

........As for holydays, I'm right in the middle of the places of where the Tv series was shot :thumbsup2: I would have never thought you got to watch that over there! I'm an avid reader of the

books from which the series was originated, btw.......

Ciao

I've read a few of the books - got the rest to look forward to :)

I've read a few of the books - got the rest to look forward to :)

In Italian? :coolio: (Not actually Italian, it's a mix of it and the sicilian dialect)

• Like 1

Great looking build. I have a couple of these to do myself so will follow this one closely.

I was fortunate enough to get invited to Cottesmore shortly before the Harriers retired and took some photos you may find useful.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjwbJAfR

Regards,

Mark

Mark, thanks very much for the link, great pics! :thumbsup: They're definitely going to be very useful

Ciao

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Giorgio

Great work so far, I will watch with interest as I have one in the stash too. I have added to Favourites for future reference too, thanks for sharing.

Also thanks to all who have posted additional reference material too as will also be handy for my future build.

Keep up the good work

All the best
Chris

Thanks Vic and Chris :thumbsup: Lots of very useful references already posted here by many, I hope I'll be able to make good use of them :hobbyhorse: I'm coming back from vacation on Saturday, so hopefully I'll be able to get back on this on Sunday

Ciao

Hi everybody; holidays are over, time to get back to this. Just a very little update, as I've been working more on the Vignette GB build, but here it is:

when I re-shaped the IP coaming, I had lost the raised detail just in front of the HUD. I did scribe a line around it, but it's not as effective as it should be. So I used a piece of Tamiya tape and a pencil to copy the shape:

28683767946_8d3f5fd117_b.jpg

Then I taped it to a .2 mm plasticard bit and shaped accordingly (using Incido, scissors and some sanding paper). Glued it in place with some CA gel:

28716573695_67fcbd6dd0_b.jpg

Some PPP along the edges to fill in the void (I'll probably need a second pass, here)

28683767756_5fa26c3338_b.jpg

That's it, I now need to tackle the HUD scratch building, for which I'm already scratching my head (pun intended, sorry :) )

Side note: while on holidays in Southern Italy, it's not unusual to get some low passes of jet fighters; last year, for instance, I once saw two EFA and a few times a Macchi trainer. This year, all I got was this Coast Guard bi-prop:

28716574205_aeb6cc8c5a_b.jpg

Any comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 7

Nice detailing Giorgio.

Energetic looking holiday that :)

I once had a low level trip around southern Italy in the back seat of an Italian Fiat G91 - based at Brindisi IIRC. I was lost most of the time cos it didn't have a moving map display and so I'm not entirely sure where we went - but the skies were indeed a beautiful blue.........

• Like 3

Thanks Steve :thumbsup:

I just read a book written by a former G91 Italian pilot; it's a gathering of semi-humorous tales about his career in the Italian Air Force, mostly spent on the G91 Y (nicknamed Yankee); very entertaining, and made me want to find a suitable kit and build one :winkgrin::whistle:

Ciao

Really looking forward to this build Giorgio

The harrier is a great subject and fascinated me as a VTOL aircraft back in my youth

I'm sure you'll give this airfix kit the best treatment its ever seen

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1