1 72 Airfix BAe Harrier GR9A - Completed! (pg.20)

As expected Giemme, your progress looks stunning. The paintwork is brilliant and your detailing top notch as always. Not far to the finish line now! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leonl said:

The cockpit looks awesome, the detailing really enhances the appearance....

Cheers Leon, thanks :thumbsup:  I'm pretty pleased with the cockpit, although there's a small white debris that got stuck on top of the HUD and I don't seem to be able to remove it :banghead:

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Wow, Giemme, She has really taken shape.

As Leon said the office looks awesome, and tidy too, no empty crisp or choc bar wrappers floating around.

The silvering, well to the MK 1 eyeball who is going to notice.

Nearly done then mate.

Simon.

Thanks SImon :thumbsup: The pilot must have been a cleaning maniac :D:D

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

As expected Giemme, your progress looks stunning. The paintwork is brilliant and your detailing top notch as always. Not far to the finish line now! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Finish line approaching fast indeed, Stix! Thanks for your comment :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I love the papers on the cockpit coaming. Nearly there Giemme!

Pretty happy about it, actually. Thanks Cookie! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

Giemme she is looking bloody lovely! 

As we are in sight of the end may I ask what is next, I think you mentioned it may have a spinny thing on the front??!

Rob

Cheers Rob, thanks! :thumbsup:

Of course you may ask about my next build, but ... I think I'll tease you (and the others) a bit more :devil: Here's a little hint: I said earlier it's going to be multiple propellers; actually two propellers, one each aircraft ....

Ciao

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

You bounder!

Rob

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: 

55 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Holy mackerel she looks wonderful.

that canopy and cockpit are fantastic. Bravo.

:thumbsup:

john.

Cheers John, thanks, glad you like her! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 2

7 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Lovely!

Keith

Cheers K, thanks! :thumbsup: 

6 hours ago, Murrodels said:

Very nice! I didn't realise they had released the Harrier as a GR9 in 1/72. I've made the GR1 and the kit is excellent. I like your paint work!

Thanks for your comment, Murrodels! :thumbsup:  Harrier is a whole new world for me, and I stumbled into this kit by chance, not really looking for it. Nice one, with a few issues

Ciao

19 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Looking very nice indeed! The Airfix GR.9 makes up into a splendid little bit of Harrier, donnit?   :)

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill, much appreciated! :thumbsup: This kit definitely builds into a convincing GR.9 ... with a few additions :coolio::winkgrin:

Ciao

On 2/6/2017 at 2:43 PM, giemme said:

I think I'll tease you (and the others) a bit more :devil: Here's a little hint: I said earlier it's going to be multiple propellers; actually two propellers, one each aircraft ....

Hmmmm.... .:penguin:4c801a02b8a904a483cb87ac241f5911.png

Looking at the Harrier nearing final, I'm truly blown away by your craftsmanship and attention to detail.

Gene K

• Like 2

Thanks Gene! :thumbsup:  Not much before I put everything together, but I still have to come up with an idea to make the kit PAVEWAYs more similar to the real thing ... :hmmm: 

Ciao

Hi everybody;

almost done with this, and lots of pics to show :coolio: 

I've completed the weathering; here's a quick overview on exhaust staining

weathering23

I airbrushed a very thinned mix of Tamiya Flat Black, German Grey and Deck Tan at a very low pressure (0.3-0.5 bars). Then added more Flat Black to go over the heat plate, and finally more Deck Tan for the central part of the staining.

Here's port side

weathering24

Some odd oil streaks added too, using both black tempera and a mix of Raw Sienna and Bruno Van Dick oils

weathering25

weathering26

weathering27

Hot and cold nozzles weathered accordingly (some highlights with a mix of Italeri Flat Steel and Lifecolor Gloss White, and a dark acrylic wash)

weathering28

weathering29

Anti collision light added on the bottom, glued in place with a drop of CA gel; you may remember I cut off the moulded part and scratch built this form clear sprue

beacon_lights1

Similarly, I scratch built the nose ARBS, giving it a rounded appearance and painting it with Tamiya Clear Blue

ARBS3

In place

ARBS4

I then added the nose lens (again, if you remember, scratch built vacuforming a piece of clear plastic)

ARBS5

ARBS6

Speaking of clear parts, I realized (quite late) that Airfix didn't bother to reproduce the wing tip green lights in any way, so I decided that at this stage the best thing would be to paint them on.

A little masking:

wingtip_lights1

wingtip_lights2

I sealed the masks brush painting some Future along the edges; I then brush painted a black coat (Lifecolor Matt Black), followed by Tamiya Clear Green. turned out way too dark, so I brushed on some Lifecolor Light Green and another coat of Clear Green

wingtip_lights3

Unmasking (still a bit dark)

wingtip_lights4

wingtip_lights5

Some paint leaks on the bottom side - I fixed that scraping the excess away with a pointy toothpick

There are also two yellow light son the wingtip, which I painted with a coat of Lifecolor Sand Yellow followed by Tamiya Clear Yellow; here's the completed wing tip, showing also some weathering:

wingtip_lights6

Anti-collision lights painted; top one with Tamiya Clear Green and Italeri Flat Steel

beacon_lights2

Bottom one with Tamiya Clear Red and again Italeri Flat Steel

beacon_lights3

Look, she's on wheels! :) 

OnWheels1

... and outirggers

OnWheels2

OnWheels3

Completing the installation of the hanging bits and nozzles:

finishing1

finishing2

finishing3

finishing4

finishing5

Nearly there, as you can see. Now, while I decided I'll leave the Sidewinder launch rails empty, I still have to complete the PAVEWAYs. I made a start on the modifications needed to make them look like RAF PAVEWAYs:

paveways3

These should be the GPS bumps.

There's another bump along the missile head, which i tried to reproduce using ... well, a cannon barrel coming from a ME109 kit. Cut in two pieces:

paveways4

Both ends rounded using my ETS:

paveways5

I scoured a locating seam in the missile and flattened one side of the bump (more ETS action :winkgrin: )

paveways6

and glued in place with some CA. Once dried, I went along the bump edges with Tamiya Green Cap. (EDIT: I forgot to add next pic in the original post)

paveways7

The toughest part to reproduce is the top hump, which has a very peculiar shape; so I started from again some leftovers:

paveways1

Roughly giving them a shape and adding more plastic on the front part (using both CA gel and Tamiya Green Cap to glue them in)

paveways2

To be continued, of course ...

Any comments welcome, as usual

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 12

4 hours ago, NontasB said:

Giorgio your Harrier is awesome!! I'll keep your RAF GBU's convertion photos for reference when I'll start my Harrier GR9.

Very insiping work overall!!

Regards,

Nontas

Cheers Nontas, thanks, you're very kind :thumbsup: 

4 hours ago, rob85 said:

She looks stunning!! You have made grey really stand out as a colour :). Seriously great work giemme and chuffed you're adding even more!!

Rob

:D Thanks Rob :thumbsup:  It's a three tone grey, you know - not really that boring as a camouflage scheme, I shouldn't take too much credit for making it looking interesting ... :winkgrin: 

I really only need finish off those PAVEWAYs, as all in need to do then is to glue in the control stick, bang seat, stabilators and Yaw vane - oh, and take proper RFI pics, that's gonna take some time ... :banghead: 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Harrywilliams said:

Looks stunning! well done!:yes::yes:

harry

Cheers Harry, thanks :thumbsup:  And welcome on board (although we're already approaching the landing :D:winkgrin: )

44 minutes ago, Leonl said:

Bravo sir! Awesome....:clap2::clap2:

Thanks Leon! :thumbsup: 

Ciao

I echo the sentiments above Giemme, wonderful stuff.

Great detailing and restrained weathering making her stand out.

On the lights, I usually go with a silver first, followed by whichever colour in clear, sometimes it may need two coats of clear colour.

Looking forward to seeing her finished and in RFI.

Simon.

• Like 1