The chase - Masterbox 1/35 Yankee Scout and Tracker - COMPLETED!

giemme

21 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Great work on the rock Giemme. I like the idea of the different tones and the tracker is progressing well too. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, thanks! :thumbsup:

The rock is almost completed:

roccia6

The white stuff is PVA glue, for the water effect; after curing overnight, should become transparent enough. Now that I look at the rock in the picture, I don't like the musk, it seems too thick; I'll have to do some touch up there :frantic:

Most of my modelling time last WE went into painting the Indian Tracker: here is the main body after highlights (three, if I remember properly) and a dark blue wash

indian30

indian31

Then it was time for details: the medicine bag received a base coat with Lifecolor Matt Brown, plus some Sand Yellow drybrush, a reddish filter and a dark wash

indian32indian33

and when that was done, I painted the decoration 

indian34

More details: trousers side bands painted with Lifecolor Tan as a base

indian35

and finished using Sand Yellow and a Brown-Red mix (same I used on the cartridge belt)

indian36

Various metallics painted as well:

indian37

Decoration at calf level: I brush painted a Matt White base, on which I then painted with a 5-0 brush the red, yellow and blue marks.

indian38

Same for the hips band:

indian39

indian40

Now I just need to paint the front part, the shoes and add some selective washes/highlight on the decorated parts.

Comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 9

6 hours ago, whitestar12chris said:

Giemme that is looking a seriously cool paint job.

All the best Chris

Thanks Chris, glad you like it! :thumbsup: 

5 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Lovely work with the fine paint brush Giemme.:thumbsup:

His decorative attachments must of been a pain. 

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thanks! :thumbsup: The decorations required a lot of patience and a few touch ups, but all in all it was good fun. Of course the macro effect is totally unforgiving, they look less messy in real life...

BTW, I need to apologize for using an incorrect word; when talking about the stone, I should have said "moss" rather than "musk"; thanks Gene K for making me notice that (an Italian studying English would call those treacherous words "false friends", as they look like an Italian word - "muschio" in this case - but they mean a different thing ... :banghead: grammar class off)

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Amazing work on the decorations, as usual.

Cheers John, thanks :thumbsup: 

5 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

There are also many ' false friends ' when learning french, ask me how I know?

:D:D I speak French too, so I think I know what you mean ... although it is probably less tricky for a neo-latin mother tongue :winkgrin: Bon, ça marche! A' toute à l'heure :)

Ciao

• Like 1

3 hours ago, basket said:

Sinon, ton travail sur ces figurines est splendide ! 

Merci bien, basket :thumbsup: 

58 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Looking great Giemme!

Cheers Cookie, thanks! :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, basket said:

@Giemme and biggles87 , je peux vous confirmer qu'il y a aussi des faux amis dans la langue de Shakespeare !

Basket tu as raison bien sûr, mais je crois que la même chose se produit dans la plupart des langues. 

John

• Like 2

13 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Wonderful work on all the fine painted decorative areas. Very nicely done! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, thanks! :thumbsup:

Decorations completed, I have now to paint his shoes. Pics tomorrow

Ciao

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Badder said:

Lovely work Giemme. I bow to your fine detail painting. Makes mine look like I used a basting brush.

Thanks Badder, you're too kind :thumbsup:  (and definitely too hard to yourself) 

Here we go, everybody, the Indian Tracker is completed. A lot of pics to follow, as I'm going to show a little SBS on how I painted the hands.

But first, hip band completed:

indian41

Shoes: base color is a mix of Lifecolor Tan and Lifecolor Sand Yellow, with highlights made adding the latter to the mix, drybrushing it pure and also drybrushing some Matt White.

indian42

indian43

The colored inserts have been painted Matt White and Matt Dark Blue

indian44

Some Matt Black and Matt Brown drybrush (in that sequence) on the parts closer to the ground. Matt Brown also used to outline the edges.

Hands: a slightly different approach compared to what I did for the face. For the base (on top of the Matt Black coat) I used Lifecolor Matt Brown, a couple of coats

indian45

First highlight adding to the Matt Brown some of the base skin tone I used for the Yankee face

indian46

indian47

Second highlight done adding Lifecolor Matt Flesh and trying to start outlining the hand features.

indian48

indian49

indian50

More Matt Flesh added to the mix, and fingernails painted too

indian51

and  more

indian52indian53indian54

First filter; it's the first highlight mix, adding some Matt Red and Matt Yellow (sort of orange-ish filter)

indian55

indian56

The second filter instead is a darker mix of the base coat, that is Matt Brown plus Matt Black, very thinned:

indian57

indian58

indian59

A dark wash in between fingers and some touch ups to the nails (alternating Matt Flesh, Matt White and going over with the darkest filter)

indian60

indian61

The Tracker was then completed brushing on a flat clear coat and gluing the head and the feathers, and here he is:

indian62

indian63

indian64

indian65

indian66

Comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

• Like 11

Utterly stunning figure painting as usual Giemme! :worthy:

Thank you for the step-by-step photos - it is fascinating to see how the various stages build into the final result. Brilliant! Very well done.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Utterly stunning figure painting as usual Giemme! :worthy:

Thank you for the step-by-step photos - it is fascinating to see how the various stages build into the final result. Brilliant! Very well done.

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, thanks! :thumbsup:  I already said that many other times, but doing SBS is the best way for myself to learn :winkgrin: 

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Simply superb! Really stunning work Giorgio, beautiful painting!

Keith

Thanks Keith, you're too kind! :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Great work Giemme mate.

Fine painting on the tracker, although he seems to pointing towards the nearest Kentucky Fried Chicken LOL.

Simon.

You haven't seen the complete vignette yet, he could as well be staring at a KFL sign :D :D  :D 

Ciao

• Like 3

Hi everybody; well, the 30th October is approaching fast, so I'm trying to get this vignette completed in time. Here's WE progress report.

I've completed the work on the rock and super-glued it to the base:

roccia7

The water effect is a lot less milky in real life, but it's hard to photograph properly (for me, at least :banghead: ). Overall, it looks much better at a proper distance (i.e., not that close :bobby: )

roccia8

On the base I've also added some sparse tufts, as well as near the rock. I used real (dried) moss for this.

The idea is to position the Indian Tracker near an extinguished fire. For the burnt wood I used ... burnt wood :winkgrin: A small branch I picked up in my yard, slightly burnt on a flame and broken in small segments

fuoco1

fuoco2

More details to complete the scene. Rifles: the wooden parts received a base coat of Lifecolor Sand Yellow

fucili1

Then, using Matt Black and a 5-0 brush, I painted some sort of veining

fucili2

The bottom one in the above pic has already received a Tan filter; after that, I used a red-brown filter:

fucili3

The barrels have then been painted with Lifecolor Matt Gun Metal, while the other metallic parts with a Silver lacquer. A black wash was then applied on both areas

fucili4

To help positioning the Scout's rifle properly, I've added some small stones (they're actually made out of cork), so that the stock lays on one of them

fucili5

To complete the "abandoned fire" area, I painted the second hat provided in the kit with Confederate Army colors:

berretto1

and placed accordingly (the Scout, rifle and hat have been positioned using CA gel)

berretto2

Here's an overview

berretto3

Time to put the Tracker on his horse and place the remaining details:

yankee62

yankee63

yankee64

yankee65

yankee66

All the various bits have been super-glued in place; I still miss a few, and I also need to scratch-build the reins and a few other belts before I can add the last missing details.

This should be the final layout:

yankee67

Comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

• Like 9