Airfix 2017

Denford

I feel a little bad about the fact that I haven't bought any Airfix kits in a while.

Airfix, Revell and Matchbox brought me into the hobby as a wee lad, the Airfix catalogue was something I would read night after night, loving the box art.

This nostalgic link makes me want to almost relive those days. 

I stopped buying, and have taken to selling off the new tools due to panel

lines. I've tried to get over it, but on so many models I bought, they just didn't look right. I'm not sure what technology they use, but the lines look too 'computerised' for want of a better word.

I found myself selling clearly easier to build Airfix Blenheim and Defiant and buying the more challenging MPM kits, because I preferred the surface look overall. For a Dornier I went with RS Models and sold the Airfix. 

I would far have preferred to build the Airfix.

I've mentioned this before so I won't harp on about it. Instead more constructive to ask; are the lines getting any finer and/or less spurious?

I would like a Whitley, Shackleton, Provost. are the lines are becoming more subtle? I realise Airfix aren't alone in this and it is something many modellers like. 

Nothing wrong with It and they do look great when built it's just a wierd personal thing with me. :mental: 

TonyT

PS: is the nose the right shape on the current Airfix 1/72 Hurricane? It looks a bit fat and square to me, but perhaps that could be due to decades of Models with the wrong shaped nose?

T

26 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I feel a little bad about the fact that I haven't bought any Airfix kits in a while.

Airfix, Revell and Matchbox brought me into the hobby as a wee lad, the Airfix catalogue was something I would read night after night, loving the box art.

This nostalgic link makes me want to almost relive those days. 

I stopped buying, and have taken to selling off the new tools due to panel

lines. I've tried to get over it, but on so many models I bought, they just didn't look right. I'm not sure what technology they use, but the lines look too 'computerised' for want of a better word.

I found myself selling clearly easier to build Airfix Blenheim and Defiant and buying the more challenging MPM kits, because I preferred the surface look overall. For a Dornier I went with RS Models and sold the Airfix. 

I would far have preferred to build the Airfix.

I've mentioned this before so I won't harp on about it. Instead more constructive to ask; are the lines getting any finer and/or less spurious?

I would like a Whitley, Shackleton, Provost. are the lines are becoming more subtle? I realise Airfix aren't alone in this and it is something many modellers like. 

Nothing wrong with It and they do look great when built it's just a wierd personal thing with me. :mental: 

TonyT

PS: is the nose the right shape on the current Airfix 1/72 Hurricane? It looks a bit fat and square to me, but perhaps that could be due to decades of Models with the wrong shaped nose?

T

Well the P-40B is the first kit molded by a new company here in the UK, so maybe all the new kits will be produced by this company, but the panel lines look to be the same as the 1/48 Spit I/V, which is the same as Tamiya panel lines. Sure it's not the fine lines you get on the short run kits, but much better than what Airfix were doing a few years back. Maybe that's a bit big for you in 1/72 scale but I find them perfectly acceptable in 1/48th, yes it would be nicer if they were a little finer, but I guess you can only get down so fine with the molding technology they are using.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

T

decades of the  wrong shape.....

Anyway, glad you posted some decent shots of the kit up, one of the few Hurricane kits I don't have, overall shape looks good but has the common problem of the too skinny nose....

Hurricane noses have some surprisingly tricky shapes, often poorly rendered in model form,  and not seen in most wartime  photos, in this case it lack the  broad shoulders' over the front end, it has to cover a big V-12 remember

0c156a466366a2f7b024ff59bcf3127a.jpg

better seen on warbirds, note how the nose ring goes to kinda heart shape with a flat top,  by the first engine panel, but is curved by the 2nd panel. One pointed out it's obvious.

very obvious here

drops-gearedited.jpg

I mention this  as your interest line praise the old beast,   and  it's  amazing how much detail is still  hazy  for such an iconic aircraft.

this is an explanation

HurricaneBentleynotescrop_zpsc6a2675f.jp

note, the mid 2000 1/72nd  Hurricane IIc  is a perfect example of using official Hawker drawings, the kit matches those very well, and as such is bloody awful shapewise.

one day, I'll do the essay on 'Airfix and  the Hurricane'   ...8 kits and all  different! 

• Like 1

I would love to see airfix get into some serious airliners in 1/144th  again. Maybe new tool some of the old catalogue as they have been doing with other subjects  (Defiant, Mustang etc). Vanguard, BAC 111 , B707 ....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Col. said:

How about a Mirage III?

2 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

That is a very good idea :clap2::clap2:

Patrice

34 minutes ago, The Wooksta! said:

Not before a Venom or a two stage bomber nose Mosquito!

We don't need that French tat!

An excellent idea and YES Wooksta, we do need that French vision of loveliness however, before we get one of those I would be much happier with a Venom FB.1/4 and two-stage Fighter Nose Mosquito (although to be fair, I would be happy with the bomber version).

• Like 2

• Greg B locked this topic