Airfix 2017

Denford

Interesting topic, I've always taken Airfixs' 'remit' (for want of better word) to give us mass produced common types that anyone from new youngsters to seasoned modellers would snap up, to giving us odd British types that generally speaking some more niche modellers would buy, the former funding the latter.

This does lead to some what look to be from the outside, odd release choices.

The Swift might seem an odd choice over a Hunter as a new tool release, but they already had an old Hunter still kicking about and Revell had their new tool out.

BTW personally I much prefer the Swift to the Hunter as a modelling subject, prettier aeroplane with that also ran history to it.

The Vulcan was also in the same boat, there was no injected Valiant, so that was brought out and quite rightly so.  I still think that we will see a new Vulcan at some stage.

I will just look forward to the new Phantoms for now!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Interesting topic, I've always taken Airfixs' 'remit' (for want of better word) to give us mass produced common types that anyone from new youngsters to seasoned modellers would snap up, to giving us odd British types that generally speaking some more niche modellers would buy, the former funding the latter.

This does lead to some what look to be from the outside, odd release choices.

The Swift might seem an odd choice over a Hunter as a new tool release, but they already had an old Hunter still kicking about and Revell had their new tool out.

BTW personally I much prefer the Swift to the Hunter as a modelling subject, prettier aeroplane with that also ran history to it.

The Vulcan was also in the same boat, there was no injected Valiant, so that was brought out and quite rightly so.  I still think that we will see a new Vulcan at some stage.

I will just look forward to the new Phantoms for now!

Agreed the Swift was an also ran but it was no looker especially compared to the Hunter, the Swift looked like one of Cinderella's ugly sisters in comparison, it knew what pretty should look like (the Hunter), all of the aerodynamic fixes looked like what they were - afterthoughts and the aircraft was seriously corpulent when compared to the Hawker product!

Still, I'm quite happy for Airfix to bring out unusual aircraft and I'm more than happy for them to bring out more obvious subjects if it funds them.

BTW, I too am looking forward to the Phantoms!

That's where personal tastes differ, I think the swift was way prettier, nice smooth tubular fuselage, clean swept wings without intakes spoiling the line and the canopy set up didn't look as 'odd' as the single seat 'Hunters' to me.  The only compromise was the later longer noses on the Swift.

It doesn't always follow that only well known or successful aircraft types sell well as kits. Look at the Defiant for example. In addition to this I am of the opinion that the Airfix catalogue of old served as a who's who of Aircraft and helped determine which were well known types and which were not by their inclusion or absense.

Mr Coastal Command may be happy to spend £30+ on a Whitley GR Mk VII kit but would a 12 year old boy or Mr Casual Sunday afternoon model maker?

Perhaps the question is who buys models these days and can both types of modeller be catered for. Maybe the answer is to have a bread and butter range suitable for all at affordable prices inc Spitfires etc,  and a more bespoke range to suit for Mr enthusiast who searches out the more obscure types such as the Whitley GR MkVII. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 71chally said:

That's where personal tastes differ, I think the swift was way prettier, nice smooth tubular fuselage, clean swept wings without intakes spoiling the line and the canopy set up didn't look as 'odd' as the single seat 'Hunters' to me.  The only compromise was the later longer noses on the Swift.

Agreed that's where personal tastes differ.

I think the word you're looking for the fuselage is TUBular and I think the wings with their root extensions and heavy dogtooth look ugly myself. 

I had the opportunity to take a close look at the Swift F.7 alongside some ex-Swiss Hunters at Bournemouth many years ago, it was obvious the two design offices were coming from different ends of the spectrum, Hawker's had kept the structure to a minimum compared to Supermarine and yet had still built an extremely strong aeroplane.  It was most obvious when you looked at the access panels, the Hunter had a panel that opened directly upon the item you were trying to access whereas the Swift had another panel behind that thus making access all the more awkward.  As an aircraft maintainer I appreciated the former rather than the latter.

I'm looking forward to the big announcement at Telford this weekend, I'll settle for a 1/24th Vampire/Gladiator/Hind myself!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wez said:

People moan about "not another Spitfire/Mustang/B-17", but if they bring the funds in to allow Airfix to mould something like the JP then I'm in favour of them doing so, especially if they give us a Spitfire Vc or XIV!

Airfix have never really got their 1/72 Spits right have they?

We have a nice Mk I/II but the Mk Vb/c hasn't appeared, the Mk IX is one of their poorer new tool kits, and there's no sign of a XIV.

It's even worse than it was years ago when we had a good Mk I, a reasonable Mk V, a poor Mk IX and no Mk XIV.

Eduard and others appear to be filling in the gaps, but it's just not the same! :)

Edited by IanC

2 minutes ago, IanC said:

Airfix have never really got their 1/72 Spits right have they?

We have a nice Mk I/II but the Mk Vb/c hasn't appeared, the Mk IX is one of their poorer new tool kits, and there's no sign of a XIV.

It's even worse than it was years ago when we had a good Mk I, a reasonable Mk V, a poor Mk IX and no Mk XIV.

Eduard and others appear to be filling in the gaps, but it's just not the same! :)

Agreed!

It's always been of immense surprise that the MkVc, which after all, is one of the major production versions, has escaped mainstream attention (and no, I don't consider the pre-Hornby attempt by Airfix to give us heavy-handed tooling conversions of their existing Vb's as mainstream attention - mainstream inattention maybe).

The XIV really deserves better attention than it has received from the mainstream too!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NPL said:

OK, if you want Airfix to close. Then we could have an Airfix free years. A bliss?!

Aren't we exaggerating a bit? Airfix won't close just because they don't produce Spitfires. Try lightening up a bit. Works wonders you know. 

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

Just now, Biggles87 said:

Dear me, all these pages of speculation and angst, I'm just going to wait and see. As long as there's a Spitfire XIV or Hunter in 1/48 I'll be happy.

I think you must be getting bewildered by all the angst, I think you meant to type "As long as there's a Spitfire XIV or Hunter in 1/72 I'll be happy", with all this angst it's easy to see why you went wrong...:whistle:

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Dear me, all these pages of speculation and angst, I'm just going to wait and see. As long as there's a Spitfire XIV or Hunter in 1/48 I'll be happy.

Nah! Nah! Nah!! You got it wrong mate!! As long as there's a  single seat and/or two seat Hunter in 1/72 or 1/48 AND, no Spitfires, I'll be happy!!:P:wicked:. You're dead right about the "wait and see" though! All I will predict is that there will be as many cries of anguish/not another.....................!/modellers don't need..........  when they are crying out for ............! (delete as required) as there will be cries of delight. As for me, I am mentally preparing myself to be totally underwhelmed! That way, If I'm right, I won't be disappointed. If I'm wrong, it's a bonus and I'm happy! Airfix have a knack of surprising us:lol:. To be brutally honest, out of the four items announced so far, only the Me 262 is going to be heading to a stash near me. But, hey ho! That's life. The other announced kits will be great sellers I'm sure and I am happy for those who welcome them. As long as they keep the dosh rolling in, who am I to argue!:D 

Allan!!

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 2

It looks like this thread has one 'page' to go before 'time is called', the bell is rung and we all have to drink up and go. :cheers: 

I started a thread yesterday (probably a daft idea) regarding/worrying about the over 100 kits Airfix have cut from their range. :shrug: .

I find some of the choices for the axe very surprising, e.g. the 1/72 ragwing Hurricane and the 1/72 Gladiators.

I would have thought that quite a few on this discontinued list, were 'bread and butter' kits for the company?

Over the last few years it has grown into a great range, a far cry from the terrible 'bankruptcy' days many of us remember. Yes, with quite odd things like a nicely presented Spit Vc, with what seemed to be recessed panel line wings, but a fuselage from a bygone injection mounded era. Still looked nice on the shelf. For the time :).

I hope they're not going to lose themselves here, and that the market research dept will try really hard to do everything right to keep them buoyant and innovative, popular.

I guess I'm a bit more concerned about what will be gone in 2017 than what will be coming up. I haven't even had the chance to buy a Blenheim or Gladiator yet. :confused: .

Erm; I like the Swift. Need one of those too.

:coat: 

All best regards

TonyT

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

What did you say?

Image result for burn the heretic

• Like 5

If you look at the 100 lines on Hannants list, many of them have been discontinued for some time. The thing about range rotation is that it develops a need among us punters. Rag-wing Hurricane lovers will have to panic buy now because de-listing them will cause a scarcity, and likewise, folks will think that the new releases won't be around for long, so they'd better get them. It's a supply and demand thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I started a thread yesterday (probably a daft idea) regarding/worrying about the over 100 kits Airfix have cut from their range.

Where could I get (a link to) this list?

Should have been on Hannants mailing list: I am now

It isn't just a plot by the makers: there's also the retailers' problem of having to stock an enormous range, most of which don't sell at other than glacial pace.  He has better things to do with his space. I do remember going into Surbiton Model Shop in the early seventies, and being able to pick any one of the whole Airfix AFV range from out of the numerous small brown boxes on his walls, but each model box takes up much more space now.  Some of this is because of the frames around the runners that massively reduced parts loss, and some because there are a lot more parts to each kit now.  Stocking entire ranges of a single manufacturer just isn't possible or profitable.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Denford said:

Where could I get (a link to) this list?

Should have been on Hannants mailing list: I am now

There is a thread in the current news section about the deleted Airfix kits

Airfix to discontiue "some kits"

The link to the  Hannants list is https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?setPerPage=25&sort=delivered&manufacturer_id=7897&product_category_id=108&search_direction=desc&save_search=1&pageID=3

Thanks for this.

Perusing the list, I note that the 1/72 Spitfire Vb is on it. I'm surprised, since it has been listed continuously since first released mid 70's.

Surely such usage must mean that the mould is worn out. If so might we expect a replacement to modern standards, or even (hush) a new Vc\Xll...

• Like 2

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 1:41 PM, Work In Progress said:

Of course while we're all thinking about 1/24 fighters, and they've firmly ruled out 1/32 aircraft, I would not completely rule out a 1/48 biggie. That old Tamiya Lancaster has had its day...

Well, PA474 was on the deck long enough this summer and probably with most of the panels off... a good chance for someone to have a good nose around.

1 hour ago, Denford said:

Perusing the list, I note that the 1/72 Spitfire Vb is on it. I'm surprised, since it has been listed continuously since first released mid 70's.

A02046A (the last incarnation) was withdrawn from the range at the end of last year.

2 hours ago, Denford said:

Thanks for this.

Surely such usage must mean that the mould is worn out. If so might we expect a replacement to modern standards, or even (hush) a new Vc\Xll...

1 hour ago, Ratch said:

A02046A (the last incarnation) was withdrawn from the range at the end of last year.

First released in 1974 and now worn out. The copy I bought two years ago showed scars and lots of wear on the moulds so a new tool with Vb & Vc wing options would be most welcome.

• Like 2

Airfix is delisting 1/72 Lightning!!! They are either going to re-release a new box or I do not get something right... Sword has re-released its Lightning trainer. A good indication there is good demand for the type.

Also Vampire is on the list.

BTW just one set of rag-wing Hurricane is being delisted - the one with two-bladed props and other bits for the very early examples.

Looking up in the loft tonight at the Sword Spitfire Mk.14.  This appears to be a better kit than any of the current 1/72 Airfix Spitfires and so those who bewail the lack of a decent Mk.14 simply haven't looked hard enough.  The latest kits from the likes of Sword/AZ/KP are no longer to be written off as "not mainstream".  Sorry if this message doesn't go down too well in this forum, but if we are going to be applying any logic to predicting/wishing Airfix's 2017 releases, we can't use the lack of a good Mk.14 as support.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Dennis_C said:

Airfix is delisting 1/72 Lightning!!! They are either going to re-release a new box or I do not get something right... Sword has re-released its Lightning trainer. A good indication there is good demand for the type.

Also Vampire is on the list.

BTW just one set of rag-wing Hurricane is being delisted - the one with two-bladed props and other bits for the very early examples.

They were all first issued in 2013, so have had a 4 year run. I think Airfix are rotating the range to stimulate demand.

4 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Looking up in the loft tonight at the Sword Spitfire Mk.14.  This appears to be a better kit than any of the current 1/72 Airfix Spitfires and so those who bewail the lack of a decent Mk.14 simply haven't looked hard enough.  The latest kits from the likes of Sword/AZ/KP are no longer to be written off as "not mainstream".  Sorry if this message doesn't go down too well in this forum, but if we are going to be applying any logic to predicting/wishing Airfix's 2017 releases, we can't use the lack of a good Mk.14 as support.

Without wishing to divert this thread, and I agree with the last two sentences of your post, but although the Sword Spitfire XIV looks like a better kit than any of Airfix's but it ain't as easy to build. It also costs more and isn't as widely available (at least in the model shops where I live).