Airfix 2017

Denford

24 minutes ago, old thumper said:

It is a shame that there is no P-38 at Duxford, it's probably my favorite aircraft.

Airfix had an P-38E/F/G in their range, it would be a good one to replace especially as there's no decent early Lightning in 1/72nd.

• Like 3

They need to replace their P-38J kit too, IIRC it's older than the F/H. Only had their J (still have chunks of it in the spares box!) and it's very basic. Don't know why I never got the newer kit because it's prettier than the J!

Paul Harrison

Edit, checked it on scalemates J was 1958 and the F/H was 1972

Edited by GreenDragon

19 hours ago, Wez said:

Airfix had an P-38E/F/G in their range, it would be a good one to replace especially as there's no decent early Lightning in 1/72nd.

10 hours ago, GreenDragon said:

They need to replace their P-38J kit too, IIRC it's older than the F/H. Only had their J (still have chunks of it in the spares box!) and it's very basic. Don't know why I never got the newer kit because it's prettier than the J!

Paul Harrison

Edit, checked it on scalemates J was 1958 and the F/H was 1972

The Airfix P-38F kit does need replacing. The 1972 kit is a personal favorite but has a heavily riveted surface that ideally needs rubbing down and rescribing (along with over improvements), having said that it is cheaper and easier to do this than wrestle with a short run manufactured kit.

The old 1958 P-38J is like any other Airfix kit from that era, attractive in its own way but very crude.

There is actually a P-38G in U.K. storage awaiting restoration to flying condition. A new kit of an early Lightning would be nice but the only big difference between the E to H and J to L versions is to the engine area. I reckon Airfix could do a similar thing to the old Hasegawa kit and include options for both versions.

A couple of my old Airfix P-38E/F/G builds the top one was built straight from the box and the lower was rubbed down and rescribed.

IMG_2514.jpg

IMG_2554.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 2

815 SQn - Yeovilton

So something there, not sure what they have outside (if that's relevant) - But Sea Fury, Spey Phantom, Hunter, Corsair, Avenger, etc etc plus Wasp and Wessex Choppers 2 Seater harriers - Gotta be something good

Could also be a naval merlin or a Wildcat

have to wait and see

Edited by trickydicky210
  • Like 1

On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:17 PM, old thumper said:

There is actually a P-38G in U.K. storage awaiting restoration to flying condition. A new kit of an early Lightning would be nice but the only big difference between the E to H and J to L versions is to the engine area. I reckon Airfix could do a similar thing to the old Hasegawa kit and include options for both versions.

My italics in the original post, but I'm sure the radiators on the earlier models are narrower than those of the later.  Something I believe some kit-makers have missed.  New fuselages (4 x halves) would be required as it doesn't look easy just to replace the radiators alone. There are also differences in airbrakes (flush with wings, so scribed) making it different to have a 'common' wing.  Others may wish to be more specific, but in any case not as easy as it seems!

10 minutes ago, Denford said:

My italics in the original post, but I'm sure the radiators on the earlier models are narrower than those of the later.  Something I believe some kit-makers have missed.  New fuselages (4 x halves) would be required as it doesn't look easy just to replace the radiators alone. There are also differences in airbrakes (flush with wings, so scribed) making it different to have a 'common' wing.  Others may wish to be more specific, but in any case not as easy as it seems!

Size and shape of the radiators, size of the boom intakes (IIRC Intercooler intakes), as well the front of the cowling.  Far better to have a dedicated early P-38.

1 hour ago, trickydicky210 said:

815 SQn - Yeovilton

So something there, not sure what they have outside (if that's relevant) - But Sea Fury, Spey Phantom, Hunter, Corsair, Avenger, etc etc plus Wasp and Wessex Choppers 2 Seater harriers - Gotta be something good

have to wait and see

All of the above please :pray: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

815 SQn - Yeovilton

815 have operated some interesting types that I would prey to see kitted, (in this order) Gannet, Whirlwind helo, post war Avenger AS.5.

I reckon it could be a Wildcat helo though.

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 3:07 PM, Albeback52 said:

Is speculation about a new 1/24 kit based on any thing  concrete or, is it simply based on fevered imaginings or blind hope/optimism?:P.

Allan

both

and I'm confident enough to confirm it's a Defiant ( so the voices tell me )  

3 hours ago, Denford said:

3 hours ago, Wez said:

Size and shape of the radiators, size of the boom intakes (IIRC Intercooler intakes), as well the front of the cowling.  Far better to have a dedicated early P-38.

It depends on what you consider big differences, I am quite happy to overlook these things, although having said that I think my attitude towards detail is becoming a minority one. 

17 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Well, it'll be a Boulton Paul product but not a Defiant :D

Trevor

Overstrand? Sidestrand?

• Like 1

This guy flew over to say Hi on a recent research trip, distracting us from important work! But what were we measuring? That's the question!

I have feeling the Lynx squadron was based in the hanger behind the museum, if it flew over then the exhibit was either outside the museum, or with the Heritage flight, (can't see them allowing a Lynx to fly close to the Merlin or Wildcat areas) so that could imply the Sea Hawk, the Sea Vixen scaled down or maybe the Phantom FG1 in 892 markings. If a Phantom then they really need to do the one in the Carrier experience In the museum as well because that's an original F-4K and covered in original stencils but the lighting is awful unless they put the proper lights on and open the hanger doors.

25 minutes ago, Uncle Dick said:

Murphy's Law dictates that model manufacturers will come out with the same model subject that another model manufacturer has just come out with - so Fairey Barracuda following Special Hobby's release!

I'd love to see Airfix release a Barracuda but, so far, only the nose section has been restored so there's not much to measure.  Either an F-4K/FG-1 or a Sea Fury are my bet. 

Nothing there for me but happy for those who want it....three out of four new tools have been 1.48 scale. I really hope there's going to be some new British 72nd subjects announced at Telford 

Edited by speedbird
  • Like 4