Airfix 2017

Denford

I would like to see their 1/72 Harrier GR7/9 in 1/48th, with flaps down option out of the box.

I personally can't wait for the P-51 and with all the options we think they might have with it. It will be easily purchaseable (local store will have them) and as many have said, if they can sell loads that will fund development for all these other kits everyone keeps asking for!

• Like 1

Come come everyone!

The signature kit, as everyone knows, has to be something sleek and elegant, and something which is special to Airfix, ie not in anyone else catalogue.

I predict the Telford release will be a 1/48 Blackburn Blackburn.

Everyone knows the world needs one of these, and plans were unearthed last year (source: AF Times vol XXI I/IV/MMXIV) .

Cheers,

Raymondo the Duped

• Like 2

Hmmm… I’ve just noticed the Airfix website says - “Sorry the Airfield Control Tower 1:76 is no longer available. We're sorry, the website has sold out of this item and we're not expecting any more stock.”

I’ve just  bought one as a “template” to make my own "bigger one" & It looks like I may have got one just in time, or knowing my luck I will scratch build at 1:48 one & then they will announce a new tool 1:48 version NEW FOR 2017 :lol: OUCH!!!

Here's another thought - maybe...

With the news that the 1:24 Spitfire MK1a is "taking a rest" - we are only 3 years away from it's 50th anniversary (1969)...

So with the success of the 1:24 Typhoon & plenty of time for development & marketing - why not create a completely new tool to mark one of the true high points of Airfix.

I can visualise James May making a new documentary - lots of celebrities coming out of the woodwork with their reminiscences of building this classic kit - news pieces on national TV telling us that this is another sign of "Britain being great again".

OK - I'm rambling - but if ever a kit needed a bigger makeover than some new decals & new box art then it is this classic.

Please show your support (please)

..OK I'll get me coat :lol:

Edited by BIG X
added the date - 1969
  • Like 2

Hmmm, not sure I really jumped for joy when the Mustang was announced, but I expect I'll get one just to see how it compares to the 30 odd Tamiya ones I have in the stash. As has been mentioned already, this is a "safe bet" from Airfix, and I suspect it may spawn a few different boxings in years to come.

I'm hoping for another classic British jet in 48th, like a Vampire, Venom, Scimitar, Sea Hawk etc, but I'd be quite happy to see a new-tool Bucc up to their current standards. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see another Meteor, given the options present in the Meteor mouldings: obviously designed with options in mind. Mind you I wouldn't say no to a decent 1/48 Typhoon either (the jet, not the piston).

In terms of 72 stuff, I'd put a fiver on a possible Luftwaffe airfield accessory/vehicle set at some point, but I'd be surprised if there's a new tool Vulcan next year, thinking they'll wait and see how the Victor sells first... I'm tempted to say it will be very popular, but the price may put some off

Jasman mentions a Luftwaffe airfield vehicle set, well it is a set obvious by its omission. If Airfix don't announce them at SMW I'll be repeating my suggestion of new airfield vehicle sets in both 1:72 (not 1:76) and 1:48. For the Spitfire fans out there the Queen Mary trailer will also need a wingless Spit fuselage as a load.

9 hours ago, thepureness said:

Was there any idea yet of how much the Walrus is going to be?

Airfix usually have a signature kit of the year for each of the past few years (including this year)

We have the 1/24 Typhoon and the Javelin for 2014/2013, I can't remember which was what year, We then had the Avro Shackleton for 2015 and the Victor for this year (2017). So I'm expecting something interesting to be announced at Telford. Part of me thinks we have going to get that Buccaneer re-tooling in 1/48 which would go down a treat with quite a few modellers, It is always a British subject so I hope they aren't going to try and catch us off guard with something different. 

I'm thinking they won't touch any Harriers, 1/72 has been done already and their is plenty of competition for 1/48 scale. 

I would be ultimately delighted if they went down a 1/48 Whitley road as its my next dream kit after my Shackletons were released but that won;t happen at the moment.

Hastings has yet to be done, but is there enough interest. 

Okay, I'll play. My bet for Telford will be a 1/48 Hawker Hunter, to round out their 1/48 post war WWII range ^_^

3 hours ago, BIG X said:

With the news that the 1:24 Spitfire MK1a is "taking a rest" - we are only 3 years away from it's 50th anniversary (1969)...

So with the success of the 1:24 Typhoon & plenty of time for development & marketing - why not create a completely new tool to mark one of the true high points of Airfix.

I can visualise James May making a new documentary - lots of celebrities coming out of the woodwork with their reminiscences of building this classic kit - news pieces on national TV telling us that this is another sign of "Britain being great again".

OK - I'm rambling - but if ever a kit needed a bigger makeover than some new decals & new box art then it is this classic.

I suspect next year we'll see the announcement of a new 1/24 super kit to fit their 4.5-5 year release average. I'd love to see a new tool Spitfire in 1/24, cleverly designed, the tooling will allow all the major marks to be released in ensuing years :o The release would also coincide with the 80th anniversary of the delivery of the spit to active squadrons! (IIRC) Timely! 

Having said that it could also be a P40 or a Sea Fury-rumour has it that Airfix are working on something that will allow a fair bit to be 'hung' off the (basic) airframe. The way that comes across to me is they would like to maximize the number of variants they can squeeze out of the one set of tools! All 3 (the Spit, P40, and the Sea Fury) fit that bill! B)

Edited by RussellE
  • Like 1

I think the release of the second Whitley gives us a clue to the way Aifix might maximise their range at minimum development cost. It is essentially the original kit with two 'aftermarket' conversions included - the one with the extra antennae, and the other with a set of civie decals. A great idea.

Might we see therefore (are you listening Airfix?) a Lancastrian -   - with military and civil decals, and dare I hope - a York? Seeing the prices of old vac-forms, there seems to be a pent-up demand, and again in military and civil versions.

How about a 'Dambusters' special with a lanc, a modded Mossie and a couple of 88mm flak guns (!) all in the one box? The box art could be awesome!

So get out there and buy the new Whitley and prove to Airfix its worth their while.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RussellE said:

...I suspect next year we'll see the announcement of a new 1/24 super kit to fit their 4.5-5 year release average. I'd love to see a new tool Spitfire in 1/24, cleverly designed, the tooling will allow all the major marks to be released in ensuing years :o The release would also coincide with the 80th anniversary of the delivery of the spit to active squadrons! (IIRC) Timely! ...

You are dreaming but sweet dreams, definitely! I'm a more modest dreamer, just a Mk.XIV in 1/48...

18 hours ago, BIG X said:

Well, if they do release another kit in this scale I would hope it WASN'T yet another b****y Spitfire!! Almost as boring as P-51s!!:sleep_1::P

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

Many years ago Airfix made a 1:144 MiG-21PF. 

I can only dream they made a new 1:72 version as the only kits out there in 1:72 are getting hard to get (Fujimi, Innex/Akkura and Bilek).

orrhey could make new versions of their 1:72 MiG-21F-13 or 1:72 MiG-23 kits. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Aeronut said:

Jasman mentions a Luftwaffe airfield vehicle set, well it is a set obvious by its omission. If Airfix don't announce them at SMW I'll be repeating my suggestion of new airfield vehicle sets in both 1:72 (not 1:76) and 1:48. For the Spitfire fans out there the Queen Mary trailer will also need a wingless Spit fuselage as a load.

Sod the Luftwaffe, Cold War RAF/RN is what' needed in 72nd, go well with the new Victor ;)

• Like 4

My Top 3 I would like from Airfix, all in 1/48:

1) Hawker Hunter family (from F1 till FGA.9, including 2 seaters). I have at least 20 Hunters on my ever getting longer 'to do' list... Academy just doesn't cut it.

2) Jaguar family (also single and two seaters). As a replacement for their old tooling. Kitty Hawk is too much work to correct:  I own 3, started 1, and there will be no more...

3) Chipmunk.  A long overdue classic, which should prove popular with so many people having flown in them. And colourful too!  They should have brought it out this year for the 70th anniversary, but better late then never :) 

Buccaneer would be nice, but Tan models is already working on one which is looking promising!

And yes I will buy the P-51, because I love a Mustang too!

I'm not asking for the moon, am I??

G

2 hours ago, Ryan Hothersall said:

I can only dream they made a new 1:72 version as the only kits out there in 1:72 are getting hard to get (Fujimi, Innex/Akkura and Bilek).

orrhey could make new versions of their 1:72 MiG-21F-13 or 1:72 MiG-23 kits. 

Why? A glance in Hannants catalogue shows several MiG 21s in 1/72. Different versions.

2 minutes ago, NPL said:

Why? A glance in Hannants catalogue shows several MiG 21s in 1/72. Different versions.

Probably a few Mustangs and Spitfires in any number of scales as well, I daresay.

1 hour ago, NPL said:

But how many of them are accurate or we'll done?

Just because there is plenty of a type on the market it doesn't mean their isn't room for a new more accurate kit. The were plenty of Spitfires on the market but until Eduard and Airfix came along with the latest versions, none were that accurate.

Edited by Tbolt

29 minutes ago, thepureness said:

have airfix had a slight price hike?

Yes. The P-40 was going to be £18.99, but now that series has gone up to £20.99. I think it's still reasonably priced compared to what a lot of kits cost nowadays.

Edited by Tbolt

19 hours ago, Ryan Hothersall said:

Not really. It was a rebox of the Crown kit. I'm also (jokingly) offended that you think 1999 is "many years ago" when there are AIrfix kits older than me - 60 plus years

Shane

54 minutes ago, Shane said:

Not really. It was a rebox of the Crown kit. I'm also (jokingly) offended that you think 1999 is "many years ago" when there are AIrfix kits older than me - 60 plus years

Shane

Had no idea it was a rebox and didn't know what year it was released.