Airfix 2017

Denford

40 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

I can further state that the Phantom will be 1/48 as I've just received the needed bits to back date my Fujimi bagged bargain '2' into an FG.1

I don't want to go OT, but if Airfix aren't going to do a 1/72 FG 1, I need those bits too.

If you could PM who makes them it would be most appreciated. :) 

As would a 1/72 Airfix full kit :confused: 

Best regards

TonyT

• 2 weeks later...

Airfix Facebook:

"We may or may not be discussing a new 1:48 2017 product in tomorrow’s Workbench. It features one of the most famous aviation designers and the real thing had a wingspan of 45ft 10in. What do you reckon?" -

Someone has already mentioned Mig 23 with wings extended and the Supermarine Walrus (RJ Mitchell of course)

13 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Yep walrus is all I can find, no matches for raf jets or the likely US ones , certainly a interesting choice, not my cup of tea, bu then again I don't do 1/48

Wasn't the Walrus (along with Me262) one of Airfix's earliest releases and so due for re-tooling?  This time surely with folding wings.

Edited by Denford

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

actually just flicked through my WW2 a/c bible and not a single one matces that spec, so its either something obscure like the walrus or perhaps an jet 

'Obscure like the Walrus'.

R.J. Mitchell's second most-produced and, arguably, his second most-widely known aircraft can hardly be called obscure. :D

4 hours ago, Beard said:

'Obscure like the Walrus'.

R.J. Mitchell's second most-produced and, arguably, his second most-widely known aircraft can hardly be called obscure. :D

If you asked any remotely normal person to just rattle off World War II aircraft until they couldn't think of any, the Walrus likely wouldn't even be in the first hundred, though.

• Like 6

I don't really understand what obscure means. Wasn't the Defiant rather obscure compared to something like the Anson or FW-58?

I think the thing is that Airfix's back catalogue helped dictate how well a WW2 aircraft was known. My only reference guide to WW2 aircraft for my first few years of life was the Airfix catalogue and the Matchbox range of kits, so if they didn't make a kit of a certain aircraft then I never knew of it.

Consequently certain types of more obscure aircraft became popular as subjects for kits. I don't know how popular the original Airfix Walrus kit  was, maybe it sold well and they have decided to do another, I don't think Airfix would bother otherwise. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Procopius said:

If you asked any remotely normal person to just rattle off World War II aircraft until they couldn't think of any, the Walrus likely wouldn't even be in the first hundred, though.

But I'm not a remotely normal person.

• Like 5