Airfix 2017

Denford

On the subject of figures I'd like to see 1/72nd aircrew/groundcrew who are not in 'action' poses. A bit more like railway figures i.e standing around, chatting, walking rather than 'doing' something which tends to look rather unrealistic.

The Airfix ground crew figures could do with being replaced but I don't know if it would pay them to do it. Airfix might choose instead to release an accurate set of motorway roadworks gang figures, all they would need for that is an empty box filled with traffic cones.

• Like 3

Good quality 1/72 hard plastic multi-part type figures of any type would be a godsend to a figure-basher like me.....I'd like to see Airfix do not only groundcrew (an eminently sensible suggestion) of various types, but also something similar to the old WWII 1/32 Multipose Figures, so maybe a dozen really top-notch multi-part 1/72 figures per box, but with genuine options and a few spare parts, not just a selection of parts that can only be assembled one way. :nerd:

Good quality 1/72 hard plastic multi-part type figures of any type would be a godsend to a figure-basher like me.....I'd like to see Airfix do not only groundcrew (an eminently sensible suggestion) of various types, but also something similar to the old WWII 1/32 Multipose Figures, so maybe a dozen really top-notch multi-part 1/72 figures per box, but with genuine options and a few spare parts, not just a selection of parts that can only be assembled one way. :nerd:

Sounds like a good idea. I think Zvesda do something a bit like that.

On the subject of figures I'd like to see some posable 1/24th RAF Groundcrew to go with the Typhoon, Mosquito, Hurricane, Spitfire etc

That would make a lot of sense. As they have expanded their 1/24th range it might pay off to provide some accessories.

The Airfix ground crew figures could do with being replaced but I don't know if it would pay them to do it. Airfix might choose instead to release an accurate set of motorway roadworks gang figures, all they would need for that is an empty box filled with traffic cones.

Good one.

How about new Airfix train passengers? 850 figures packed into a small box. Moulded in one piece.

• Like 6

How about new Airfix train passengers? 850 figures packed into a small box. Moulded in one piece.

This could come with an option for illegal immigrants/refugees

850 people in the back of a lorry/boat etc

P40 arrival now "set" for 13 october 2016.

Maybe they're just revising it (after all they just have to look at their own 1/72 scale kit), one may wish.

Still I have no great expectations for 2017.

I totally forgot about this week's Workbench release.

Yes, It's a shame that there are no new annoucments, however I quite fancy those new decals on that Kate!

Should anyone have plans to purchase this set, and have other ideas for decaling their Kate please PM me..... please...

Cheers.. Dave

Good idea. But what poses would they do?

Probably mostly standing, sitting and walking figures all with head bowed and eyes fixed on a smartphone. And for variation maybe a smaller number holding phone to ear.

Those who want figures (presumably 1/72) should try Preisler pre-painted figures for HO railways, and available from Amazon. The very first is a 'well built' lady stripping off and she doesn't wear a bra either! Not sure how one would incorporate it her into a military diorama though....

Modelzone (ah those were the days) used to have quite a number, mostly civilians with dogs, babies, children, prams etc. Of the more unusual subjects were 'Parson in a hurry' and 'Hostage taker with Hostage'! Probably also available via Amazon as there are many pages.

Those who want figures (presumably 1/72) should try Preisler pre-painted figures for HO railways, and available from Amazon. The very first is a 'well built' lady stripping off and she doesn't wear a bra either! Not sure how one would incorporate it her into a military diorama though....

There's the famous Italian field brothel captured during Operation Compass, which even made it into a wargame: http://forum.axishistory.com/download/file.php?id=241371&sid=a14d1917b385a6fdc29c30ec7f6eb1a5

HO figures cover a lot more activity. I remember seeing in the window of a rail model shop in Aachen several sets of Noch figures engaged in..well. Google Noch 15953 for an example. There is quite a long series. I do not expect any competition in 1/72 from Airfix.

• Like 2

Scale model of the rugby club bar - any RAF camp @ about 22:30

• Like 1

One word of caution about using the 'HO' figures is that they are 1/87 scale and so you need to to be a bit careful about where you would put them. i do a bit of railway modelling and it surprising how much bigger 1/72nd can look next to '00' gauge stuff (1/76th). I think Airfix went for 1/76th for armour originally as it matched '00' gauge. Very few non-British manufacturers are going to use 1/76th/'00' as it is not a scale that is common as model railways just about anywhere else use 'HO' !/87th.

Just did some quick stats on new tool / and or variants with some new tool parts based on Airfix 1/72 aircraft releases for the following years:

4 British

3 American

2 German

11 British

2 German

7 British

1 American

5 British

2 American

2 German

1 Japanese

7 British

2 American

2 German

1 Japanese

Totals for the above 5 years

34 British types

8 American

8 German

2 Japanese

Average number of New Tool Releases per year ( 9 + 13 + 8 + 10 + 12 / 5 ) = 52 / 5 = 10.4 New Tool Releases per year

Of the 52 New Tool Releases (some rounding up to divest the decimals)

34 out of 52 were British Types 34 / 52 = 66%

8 out of 52 were American Types 8 / 52 = 15%

8 out of 52 were German Types 8 / 52 = 15%

2 out of 52 were Japanese Types 2 / 52 = 4%

So based on the above we can (notwithstanding Hornby Financial Concerns):

1. Forecast approximately 10 Airfix 1/72 aircraft new tool and new tool variant releases for 2017

2. Forecast 6 to 7 will be British types

3. Forecast 1 to 2 will be American types

4. Forecast 1 to 2 will be German types

And of the above new releases 1 will be a Westland Wasp and another will be a Westland Scout :Tasty::Tasty::Tasty:

So there you have it - take your pick!

Edited by Uncle Dick
  • Like 5

Airfix have re-released a few Soviet aircraft (Pe-2, Yak-9, IL-2, MiG-29) plus a new tool MiG-15 from 2010. I won't be surprised if some one new tool Soviet planes appear, probably from Korea.

Anyway there are lies, damned lies, and statistics...

Edited by Botan
  • Like 1

Good sampling of data there UD..

Therefore we should not expect any Russian (Yak 9), Australian (Boomerang), French (Mirage III) or Italian (Fiat G50) new tools of previously covered Airfix subjects.

Hopefully there's some room in that 6-7 British types for a Single Seat Venom?

I'd be happy with 10 new aircraft subjects, however given the almost silent feeling about 2017, I'd be happy with half of that.

Cheers .. Dave.

I'd settle for them re issuing the Valiant. I need at least three to go with my pre ordered AIM Valiant B2 conversions. However, I am not prepared to pay the stupid prices currently being asked second hand!. No doubt there will be some news at Telford in November. I can wait. However, when Airfix finally announce the surprise release of the 1/48 Scruggs Supa-Wundaplane I can look forward to the screams of "Oh no, why did they do THIS when modellers are screaming for THAT!" together with the howls of disappointment and cries of delight that will doubtless ensue in equal measure regardless of what is announced.

ps - a Lancaster BI Special (or whatever) with Tallboy/Grand Slam/ 12,000lb HC bomb would be awfully nice Mr Airfix please!.

pps, Mystic Mog, my clairvoyant cat confidently predicts something that few of us would have predicted! Airfix have surprised us in the past. Pretty sure they will do it again :lol: . Not going to make any predictions. They always manage to produce something that I will like!

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1