A Model Yak-2 1/72

Hi all,

Placeholder here for my Yakovlev Yak-2 build.

I'll be using the A-Model 1/72 kit in all its short-run glory.

Have had a quick look at work for anything Yak-2 related, and found a couple of small bits and bobs but not much at all, except the excellent Yefim Gordon books, which should help a touch!

More to be added tonight - it'll be touch and go whether or not this gets finished but I'll certainly give it a whirl!

Thanks,

Chris

• Like 2

OK, lets get started! As a short bit of background history, the Yak-2 was a mixed construction (wood and aluminium) light bomber that saw service during Operation Barbarossa in small quantities.

It was rushed into production and found to be lacking in several areas - mainly stability and unsuitable engines. It was rejigged to become the Yak-4, which was also not a great success. Somewhat like the Me210/410 saga...

The kit is typical A Model with lots of flash, mould release oil and dodgy clear bits. I have no idea how it's going to build up but I bet it fights every step of the way!

There's some nice detail in the cockpit though, and you get a fully equipped bomb bay too, although I may not use that. The decals are also pretty smart,although I do have a set of AML aftermarket ones as well.

Only thing I'm wondering about is the interior colour. The call out is for Humbrol 31, which I wasn't going to use anyway, and I still have the full range of Soviet primers from White Ensign - is it more the blue-grey kind, or just the flat grey...

Work should start tonight.

IMAG0372_zpsnzosu3zs_edit_1467186858429_

IMAG0377_zpsgf0ztqmu_edit_1467186915724_

IMAG0378_zpsokixdrv2_edit_1467186959502_

IMAG0374_zps9vgj3olm.jpg

IMAG0373_zpsem7sprmg.jpg

IMAG0375_zpsokw0umru.jpg

IMAG0376_zpshleb1u0m.jpg

Cheers

Chris

• Like 5

Not much to report tonight, which was spent cleaning both halves of the fuselage. I've also made a start on the pit and added one of the soars.

A Model plastic is very soft, so cleaning took a while. The detail on this kit is a mix of engraved and raised panel lines by the way.

I think the ribbing on the rear fuselage is a bit too subtle, photographs seem to show deeper ridges...these will most likely vanish under a coat of paint!

IMAG0380_zpsljd69gfe.jpg

IMAG0381_zps5jsy5clc.jpg

• Like 4

You've made a nice start there Chris. I make/have made a few AModel kits and the soft plastic seems to be 'going' with newer kits; I recently bought some DH60's and the plastic is a lot more like solid mainstream kits.

I think you'll have done it, but I've been caught out twice by the waxiness; that mould release oil on these earlier ones really needs washing off (a lot :) ).

I don't have this one in the stash - it looks a really nice kit; I like how the wings have real spars to locate onto :thumbsup2:

Really glad you're sharing this build - we fearless (or quite crazy??) AModeller types have to show the world it can be done! :D

Best regards
Tony

• Like 1

It most certainly can be done, and if I get extra time I may even pick another Yak to have a bash at.

You're right in that I washed the parts - nothing too bad with mould release oil, but a bit left.

Tested the fit of the halves and they're pretty good oddly enough. Some filling will be needed but not loads I think... Keep your fingers crossed!

Chris

• Like 1

I had thought about something similar but the plastic is so soft I can see there's a risk of fudging it! Ironically the Alfa Yak 4 has got it just about right!

Using White Ensign grey interior primer on the insides but it's very thin! Can anyone recommend another makers version of this - possibly Humbrol?

• Like 1

I had thought about something similar but the plastic is so soft I can see there's a risk of fudging it! Ironically the Alfa Yak 4 has got it just about right!

Using White Ensign grey interior primer on the insides but it's very thin! Can anyone recommend another makers version of this - possibly Humbrol?

Hi, is that WEM paint mixed properly? None of the range is/was manufactured in a consistency approaching thin, so I'm thinking yours has either had a lot of thinners returned to the tin at some point, or all the pigments are sat at the bottom of the tin and you're trying to paint with tinted binder fluid.

Hi, is that WEM paint mixed properly? None of the range is/was manufactured in a consistency approaching thin, so I'm thinking yours has either had a lot of thinners returned to the tin at some point, or all the pigments are sat at the bottom of the tin and you're trying to paint with tinted binder fluid.

Hi James,

I promise it's been mixed thoroughly - no pigment at the bottom and no thinners added either. Not to worry, and it's quite unusual for a WEM tin - I've used them a lot in the past, but this one just isn't playing ball.

Back on with this tonight - had a couple of days in Berlin and been playing catch up at work, but onwards and upwards as they say :fight:

Chris

• Like 1

OK, progress has been made - and I'll post pics tonight. The cockpit is mainly together and just needs inserting*, but suffice to say, this is a kit that's fighting back - as I'm sure anyone who's made an A Model kit will know. Every single piece has to be lovingly sawn off, before being sanded to hell and back, thinned, sink marks filled and then the fun of fitting begins. Fascinating. I'd recommend this to the most dedicated masochists among us as they truly are the people who would get the benefit of dealing with this.

Interestingly, I checked through the Yakovlev files at work and not a bean on the Yak-2, or 4 for that matter... pfffft!

Currently working on the bomb bay. Once that's done then we should get the halves shut. Hopefully... Note to self, next time just stick to a Yak-9 or something... :hanging:

Chris

• Like 1

Amodel strikes again.....I know I have to face this ordeal (repeatedly) or I've wasted a great deal of money and I'll never have a 'Bopi' to dive-bomb the Russians or an Arkhangelsky AR-2 to return the favour! :shutup:

• Like 1

Try this Yakovlev page:

http://www.airwar.ru/firm/yarus.html

Yak-2; drawings, etc., at bottom of page; use Google Translate to read text in English:

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/bww2/yak2.html

Yak-4 - same thing for dwgs, etc:

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/bww2/yak4.html

Planning a Yak-9 build in 1/72? Now you've got my attention!!! :speak_cool:

John

• Like 2

As always, sorry for the slow updates. The magazine is on press this week, hence its busy and modelling time is at a premium!

I'm not going to post the fuselages until they're finished as not only am I a perfectionist but they won't look good until complete, so here's a few bits to whet your appetite!

IMAG0406_zpsxsoqrkru.jpg

IMAG0407_zpsdzjslwpy.jpg

The pit... not bad detail but I'm going to give it a wash first then add belts to the seat. The panel was quite well detailed, and the decal snuggled into to said details very well but it was a pig to fit! Suffice to say all parts you see have been beaten to within an inch of their lives. Locating the pit inside the fuselage will be fun too... hey ho!

IMAG0411_zpsoivxrwvj.jpg

The wings...

Nicely detailed, and cleaned up well. The roots are follow by the way, hence the need for the spars seen in the previous posts....

IMAG0410_zpsky5brhge.jpg

IMAG0409_zpsci4bzemv.jpg

The bomb rack and some bombs... note the moulding pips on the bombs, which are probably about the same length as a penny! The worst bits to fettle so far... Bombs will be done tonight. Any idea on the colours... dark green, black, grey?

IMAG0408_zpsccpckqcf.jpg

Finally, the gunners ring (no jokes please). Took a lot of cleaning up...

Sorry it's not the most edifying of updates but hopefully things will accelerate soon!

Bestest

Chris

• Like 2

The bomb rack and some bombs... note the moulding pips on the bombs, which are probably about the same length as a penny! The worst bits to fettle so far... Bombs will be done tonight. Any idea on the colours... dark green, black, grey?

This could be helpful, although you'll have to decide what type of bomb the kit parts represent:

http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Markings/bombs/fab50/

That URL, plus three others in the same series, is included here:

http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=844.0

John

It's coming along nicely Chris. I actually laughed out loud at your previous post regarding the clean up operation! :rofl: I must be a masochist as I keep buying Amodel kits, and now see this vast clean up malarchy as part of 'tactical construction' of the kits! :D

Looking forward to seeing the fuselage with the cockpit in :thumbsup2:

Best regards

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's been a while so my apologies, but work has been manic and modelling time as ever has been at a premium... so...

Finally I've conquered the cockpit. This included fitting it, then debonding it, sanding every part religiously while singing Beethoven's Ode to Joy from his 9th Symphony through clenched teeth, and finally getting it so the fuselage closes. This is the current result. I know the images aren't the best but I'm using my mobile and short of taking up contortionism this is what you'll get...

The bomb rack is also done and ready to fit. Bombs were painted Humbrol 114, while the rest of the rack is the trusty Humbrol 87. All that's left is a slight internal wash then it's fuselage sealing time. I'll add the gun afterwards. The bombs went together with lots of filler incidentally. Are you surprised? Of course not...

I've also started work on the (asymmetric) engine nacelles. The Yak-2 (and Yak-4) have a very odd arrangement for the water radiators, which protrude quite significantly. Much head scratching took place as to why the nacelle ends weren't flush with the body, and then I finally twigged, helped by Yefim Gordon's 'Airpower of the Great Patriotic War', which I'd heartily recommend. I also emailed a Russian friend who supplied me with a set of images and blueprints for the Yak-2. These also have helped - more so than the kit instructions actually.

Anyway, hahahah - have at you AModel Yak-2 - I shall conquer you yet*

*possibly.

Chris

IMAG0448_zps62fmdqnk.jpg

IMAG0450_zpseslvmv6t.jpg

IMAG0451_zpsateblyjr.jpg

The nacelle assemblies

IMAG0445_zpswn7od70h.jpg

IMAG0446_zpsasco22x5.jpg

IMAG0452_zpsuzxkzmxt.jpg

And the bomb bay complete...

IMAG0447_zpspyqz5kxc.jpg

Edited by English Electric
  • Like 5

Sterling progress Chris. With the help of Beethoven you've defeated the cockpit. The instrument panel looks very nice.

Good to hear you got plans. Are the engine nacelles actually meant to be asymmetrical? Fascinating.

Looking forward to seeing the fuselage joined up :)

Best regards

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Fuselage closed up and lots of progress made over the weekend. Wish I'd taken out shares in Squadron though, given the amount of green putty used!

Pictures to follow soon... I'm going to finish this GB if it kills me. And it might!

After this I'm going to make a nice Matchbox kit - something like a P-12E or similar. :bangin:

Chris

• Like 2