Messerschmitt Me-262 STGB Chat

trickyrich

welcome aboard chaps! :D

On 10/09/2017 at 3:36 AM, Enzo Matrix said:

The GB starts on 5 May 2018, so there is plenty of time to get stuff sorted.

oh ok.....for some reason I thought this one was starting in January! Well that's a relief, I now have even more time to decide what to build....and I have no idea.......other than of course a Me-262! :D

23 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Couple of the new 1/72 airfix kits lined up for this. Can't wait :D

Are you sure you can wait that long?  :)

I have a couple winging their way to me even as we speak.  I think I'll be starting one as soon as I lay my hands on it.  I fancy the Me262V6 scheme on the new Xtradecal sheet.

12 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Are you sure you can wait that long?  :)

I have a couple winging their way to me even as we speak.  I think I'll be starting one as soon as I lay my hands on it.  I fancy the Me262V6 scheme on the new Xtradecal sheet.

Hmmm you're probably right. 

Will keep two for the GB with resin and etch etc wearing AM decals. 

Might do a quick one or two for 'familiarisation' :D 

• Like 2

On 11 september 2017 at 11:37 PM, trickyrich said:

oh ok.....for some reason I thought this one was starting in January! Well that's a relief, I now have even more time to decide what to build....and I have no idea.......other than of course a Me-262! :D

Maybee the new 1/32 Revell nightfighter version.:whistle:

I have still got a glass bomber nose lying around.I would need to buy a Trumpeter kit for it.:winkgrin:

O, it is also in 1/32 scale.:coolio:

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

On 9/15/2017 at 16:46, Enzo Matrix said:

My Airfix kits arrived today.  The fuselage and cockpit parts are on the same sprue so I think there will be a two-seater version in due course.

I think it's inevitable that one of these will land on my stash sooner or latter. Right now I just have Academy's single seater and Revell's night fighter, both 1/72.

Cheers

Jaime

I've had my eye on building a 262 for a while and here's the perfect chance! 

Can you count me in please chaps? 

Not sure with what yet but I will pick one up in the New Year! 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Good evening all

Buried deep in the stash I found one of these  :yikes:

https://flic.kr/p/22E7nUw

Now Rich, take a deep breath but its RESIN !

Can I include it in this GB ? :shrug:

cheers Pat

sorry for taking so long to reply, but when you said it was resin I fainted!! :D   So welcome aboard and yes you can bring it along.

Right at the start I did say I would allow some of the project aircraft into the build, ones that made it onto the advanced drawing stages rather than to paper sketches of the Luft46 type.

I don't expect to see many of these in this build, but some of the alternative engine types and HG's, plus maybe a Mistel?

Plus the Avia versions are included.

Just for something completely different I may be building a Nakajima Kikka, though it's not based on the Me-262 in anyway, it did share a lot of design cues. This model will not be eligible for the final voting and is just for show......and to help clear a space in the stash!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

I'm 'into' 1/100 military jets at the moment and Tamiya do a cute little 262 in that scale.  However, when I saw this (also 1/100), on eBay I thought it would be worth a punt.

Me262-box-lid0002.jpg

Not really knowing anything about 262s at the time, I didn't appreciate what the box art was showing me. 

As I understand things now though, PC+UC was actually the third prototype (the first to fly solely on jet power), and here we see it swooping into action with a wing-full of anti-aircraft rockets and some 'devil astride bomb' nose art. 

I'm assuming this is artistic licence...? :think:

The kit itself is a classic 50s with plenty of raised detailing, including for decal locations .  You get the picture, I'm sure!  It represents a production aircraft with tricycle undercarriage.

Given that the Tamiya kit is the best way to model an operational aircraft, I thought it might be fun to keep this one as PC+UC and convert it back to prototype configuration with tailwheel undercarriage.  A quick Google has brought up some general photos and artwork for PC+UC, but unfortunately nothing that shows the undercarriage in detail.  Can anyone help with this please?  Also, is there anything else that I should be changing?

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3

that is a classic, as you say there is a bit of artistic license with the box art!! The engines look as though they can be launched like the rockets! :D

I'd be tempted to build it OOB as it is such a old and interesting model, in some ways it would be a shame to modify it.

We really should have a GB just for Pre 60's or 70's models....... now that would be fun!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Nice one Cliff, last time I saw that many underwing rockets it was a Skyraider !

Thanks Pat.  I hadn't realised that some fighter versions of the 262 were indeed modified to carry 24 rocket projectiles (the kit provides all 24).  These were used in action and were fired into bomber formations with some success.

14 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I bought the Hobby boss 1/72nd Me.262 a1a easy assembly kit for my entry. Im going to try and scratch build some cockpit detail and improve it

That sounds like an interesting project Cosairffu.  I too enjoy adding a bit of extra detail to simple kits :)

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I'd be tempted to build it OOB as it is such a old and interesting model, in some ways it would be a shame to modify it.

We really should have a GB just for Pre 60's or 70's models....... now that would be fun!

Thanks Rich.  I sympathise with your view on building the kit OOB.  It's just that OOB it will look like this!

Me262-built0005.jpg

Either way, I will definitely keep the period features.

9 hours ago, Col. said:

Have you checked out Youtube @CliffB? Sure I've seen some footage of the prototype 262s on there.

Thanks Col.  I haven't tried Youtube yet, but that sounds like a good idea.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CliffB said:

Thanks Pat.  I hadn't realised that some fighter versions of the 262 were indeed modified to carry 24 rocket projectiles (the kit provides all 24).  These were used in action and were fired into bomber formations with some success.

That sounds like an interesting project Cosairffu.  I too enjoy adding a bit of extra detail to simple kits :)

Thanks Rich.  I sympathise with your view on building the kit OOB.  It's just that OOB it will look like this!

Me262-built0005.jpg

Either way, I will definitely keep the period features.

Thanks Col.  I haven't tried Youtube yet, but that sounds like a good idea.

Cheers

Cliff

Thanks Cliff, 

Love the drawing the only thing missing is the version with the blooming huge cannon sticking out of the nose, are you going to add that to finish it off ?

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 2