Stuck in the mud

As part of my plan to scare myself senseless, I'm joining in with some 1/35 figures and a motorcycle. This is really reeeely outside my comfort zone. And that's before we talk about a scenic base.

But the whole point of this GB is to persuade people to try something new, so here we go. Hold on tight rider! :D

mud01.jpg

As you can see, the story is basically that shown on the boxtop of the figure set. A German motorcycle crew have got their vehicle stuck in the mud and have enlisted the help of a passing infantryman to push it out.

The Tamiya kit has been around since 1972! you wouldn't think so looking at the sprues. I know there are more modern kits available, but this looks lovely. One would expect a kit well into its fifth decade to have a lot of flash. But no...

mud02.jpg

The figures are quite simplified in comparison to the modern Master Box set, but they are still perfectly acceptable. We'll see how we go with the vignette as I might add the two walking figures.

mud03.jpg

This is the Master Box set. Firstly the figures themselves.

mud04.jpg

The second sprue seems to be a generic weapons and equipment set.

mud05.jpg

As for the base... I am utilising an MDF movement tray which was originally intended for wargaming figures. It's not very big...

mud06.jpg

I have to stress that this is way way out of my area of expertise. I think I'm going to enjoy it... :)

• Like 8

I think I was about 14 when I first got this (36 years ago!) and I thought it was superb. The only thing that beat it was the Kettenkrad. Watching with interest!

• Like 1

Hi Enzo and good to see you're going to try something different from your usual comfort zone! Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hey Enzo

Like mitch I too had that tamiya kit as a kid, as well as an italeri one with the Zundapp. Great times were had building them... they were my first 1/35 kits. The base looks great: with the frame it should provide an really good foundation to build up a scene, especially if you try to recreate a muddy Russian Rasputitsa like in the Master box photo. Do you have any ideas of what you might do, and how you might go about it?

• Like 1

especially if you try to recreate a muddy Russian Rasputitsa like in the Master box photo. Do you have any ideas of what you might do, and how you might go about it?

I intend to build the base up from layers of thin card. I've already started using this technique on another build.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235004422-a-scary-stug/

...but you have to understand that I'm making it up as I go along. There's a very good chance it could all go horribly wrong... :D

• Like 2

Masterbox really do produce some great figures don't they? I really should pick some up.

Masterbox do a wonderful set depicting a tank crew playing cards.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MB3525

In my mind's eye I can see a diorama of a broken down Stug III with a repair crew staring into the engine bay scratching their heads while the vehicle crew play cards.

To be honest, the armour stuff that I'm building at the moment is purely so I can get my hand in so I can eventually build that diorama.

• Like 2

Hi Enzo,

if you are out of your comfort zone, then with a motorcycle (with or without sidecar) my own comfort zone would be several galaxies away... Never built one in my life, ridden one for a week once, and known too many very good people killed on one of those contraptions.

But I actually see the challenge of what you are starting. So I'll follow this thread as I am sure there will be a lot to learn.

Have fun!

JR

• Like 1

Indeed there has been. I'm almost ready to put the motorbike and sidecar together. Photos at the weekend!

That is good news. I will watch out for the photos at weekend. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• 2 weeks later...

As promised...

The bike components painted and ready for assembly.

mud07.jpg

And assembled... although the sidecar hasn't yet been permanently attached as I haven't fitted the exhaust system and suspension yet.

mud08.jpg

mud09.jpg

• Like 4

Great show Enzo,

this thingy must be tiny, but it does look rather special.

Once dipped into the steppe's mud and weathered to hell, it will be very special!

JR

• Like 1

Hi Enzo. Great to see the photos - thank you. :thumbsup:

The motorbike and sidecar do look rather excellent.

I've just been checking out your Stug and it's base over in the GPW GB - and, with how excellent it looks, I think it bodes well for this project! :coolio:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I've just been checking out your Stug and it's base over in the GPW GB - and, with how excellent it looks, I think it bodes well for this project! :coolio:

Thanks Stix. I'll be using exactly the same technique for this base - minus the snow of course.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the bits and peices added with a modicum of weathering

mud10.jpg

And a start made on the figures.

mud11.jpg

Placed in position around the vehicle. At the moment they look like they are advancing on Sleepy Hollow.

mud12.jpg

On to the base. I'm using exactly the same technique as I've used on my concurrent STUG III build in the Great Patriotic War GB. Starting off with some offcuts of thick card cut roughly to shape.

mud13.jpg

Then glued together and covered with a generic filler from the local poundshop. I've added a sprinkling of railway ballast as well.

mud14.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more work done on this.

The base was primed with black car primer and then textured with Wilder Textured Earth. I used the dark Russian shade and used both fine and stony textures. Grass and tufts were added from flock intended for a model railway layout.

mud15.jpg

• Like 3