Airfix decals

goggsy

Maybe it's just me but I seem to be having big problems with Airfix decals recently. I've just completed my Shackleton and there is a significant amount of silvering around panel lines and even in the middle of flat areas where there are clear panels within the decal.

By way of preparation I have buffed down the airbrushed paintwork, sealed with Alclad Aqua Gloss, and cut this back to a mirror finish with Greygate plastic polish. I then applied the decals with a generous helping of both Mr Sol Setter & Softer. If anyone knows of a more effective way to get decals to apply without silvering then I'd be genuinely interested.

Where the decals have met raised areas such as under the wing on the serial numbers I found that the Softer didn't seem particularly effective in helping the decals to conform. They seemed quite rigid and tough, almost like old fashioned Academy decals. I don't know whether it's the decals or the softener as this is the first time I've used it but Mr Sol liquids have a reputation as being strong.

I've previously found the decals on my Javelin to be similarly hard work, albeit with the use of Microscale Sol and Set which I generally find quite good. I'm wondering if this is an systemic problem with Airfix decals and whether anyone else finds them a bit of a pain. I hate to say it but what with one fuselage half being short shot (which Airfix were able to replace), the cockpit canopy missing (which they weren't, necessitating a return to the shop for an exchange), and now apparently poor decals I'm getting a bit tired of Airfix quality control. I'm not one to whinge about the challenges we face as modellers but there comes a point that you have to decide whether or not to continue to buy a particular brand.

I lay decals into a puddle of Klear. No silvering at all, even on brushed matt paint. Press the decals into position with tissue or whatever to mop up excess. If you then leave it a few days the decals suck down into panel lines. More successful than my efforts with micro sol and set!

The only issue with using Klear this way is that it's harder to slide the decals around.

Cheers

Will

• Like 2

Where these decals for a recent issue? I recently built a 1997 Airfix Hunter and the decals were pretty bad - thick and prone to folding up at the first opportunity, then reluctant to respond to Microsol and Microset. Didn't silver though - I was applying onto a Xtracyclics gloss finish. A recent issue (red box) DH88's decals were Ok though - I made a fixable mess of the huge underwing serial but that was my fault.

• Like 1

It's the Airfix Shackleton so yes, quite new. I used to use Klear but tended to make a mess with it, maybe will have to go back to it though. I've been happily using my current method for other manufacturers decals so I'm inclined to think it's down to Airfix unfortunately.

I find that Airfix's transfers tend to grab too hard if I leave them in water for more than five or six seconds. I also find Microscale's solutions to be ineffective on them, so I now use Walther's Solvaset. Even that took two or three goes on the last lot :D.

• Like 1

Dilute the Klear a bit, 30-50% +/-, helps to avoid the grab on, use a decent puddle to float the decal onto & progressively soak up up excess solution with the corner of paper towel/tissue when you've got it in place before pressing to remove the last excess, even then, if my positioning has been slightly out I've had good luck flooding the decal with another puddle of the mix & lifting an edge with a stiffish #2 synthetic(ie, cheap) brush.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone, I'm glad it's not just me who is having this problem. I think I might just have to go back to basics and start using Klear again; fortunately I laid in a few bottles before it was discontinued. I haven't tried the Walthers product but I must say I'm disappointed with the performance of the Mr Sol products so far.

• 2 months later...

the last couple of airfix kits ive built ive used humbrol decal fix. soaked the decals in the solution and applied onto a thin layer of solution. all came out fine. no silvering and softened to the surfaces really well.

Edited by bigcheed

I have tried solutions in the past, but now lay everything with Kleer. Incidentally I had a discussion at Brampton, with David Pennington, late of SBX models.

He is using the new Kleer/Pledge, and says the only difference is they added a perfume, which makes it look cloudy in the bottle. It works just like the old stuff.

Has anybody else tried Humbrol decalfix? There must be so many decal film formulations out there. Maybe it's a question of sticking with a manufacturer that has developed a consistent set of products, Airfix and Humbrol being part of the same group and all that.