1/24 Airfix North American PF 51D Mustange

All,

Built OOB but decided to do with gear up and displayed 'in flight' on the stand - engine built separately and fixed to the stand. This saved all the aggrevation of having to build up the wheel wells with gear down .........

Not one of the best large scale Airfix kits as the fit is a bit sloppy with lots of large gaps that need addressing. However, with a bit of work, this Mustang builds up nicely.

Overall, a very enjoyable project resulting in a nice large model once completed. As always, entirely brush painted.

Regards

Dave

016_zps50ynat93.jpg

015_zpswpxoqi5l.jpg

014_zpsu9w9tbhl.jpg

013_zpslallkhf4.jpg

012_zpspzsxlunf.jpg

008_zpsrwvvkibb.jpg

009_zpstp4wztit.jpg

011_zpssaildads.jpg

007_zpsjdjtusse.jpg

004_zpssfe2ilwa.jpg

005_zpshcnz08ei.jpg

006_zpsmhppxwvf.jpg

• Like 24

Wow! That's an impressive Blue Nosed Person of Indeterminate Parentage of Bodney. Great finish. P.s. Wish my garden was as flat as yours.

Edited by Meatbox8
  • Like 1

I had this when I was about 12 and I couldn't manage it - too many bits to detail and as you say - very floppy. I couldn't do it justice.

AND

So good to see a model "in flight" with a pilot - it's when an aircraft looks its best sometimes :-)

Edited by Jeepboy
  • Like 1

Thank you all kindly gentleman - I really appreciate your feedback and pleased you liked the idea of the engine display. I was very kindly given recently the old 1/24 Airfix BY 109E kit with electric motor so intend to build that on the stand with the motor fitted as an upcoming project.

Joachim - no problem, that's the point of this forum so that we can all share ideas and techniques!

Regards

Dave

Ps - if anyone has some fin swastikas decals for this 109 kit that I could trade I would be very grateful

Thank you all kindly gentleman - I really appreciate your feedback and pleased you liked the idea of the engine display. I was very kindly given recently the old 1/24 Airfix BY 109E kit with electric motor so intend to build that on the stand with the motor fitted as an upcoming project.

Joachim - no problem, that's the point of this forum so that we can all share ideas and techniques!

Regards

Dave

Ps - if anyone has some fin swastikas decals for this 109 kit that I could trade I would be very grateful

Great idea with the engine, I left mine in and really struggled to keep the covers removable after the pins started to break off in their holes. I've got a 109 do do too... I'd have thought you could make some masks up for the swasticas, it's about the only scale I'd try this...