1/144 Air Zimbabwe A320

Mangwanani fellow modellers.

Keeping up with my African theme, here's Air Zimbabwe Flight UM 468 from Johannesburg about to touch down at Harare International Airport :

UMA320pfl.jpg

Zvezda's A320 with a mix of home-made decals, paintwork and other bits and bobs.

Struggled with just about everything on this build, but finished it just in time for the Airliner Group Build next month - Hooray (I think......)

UMA320ps.jpg

UMA320pfu.jpg

UMA320sf.jpg

UMA320uf.jpg

Thanks for looking.

mike

(Perhaps one day I'll get to make the journey ?)

• Like 31

She's a beaut Mike. As usual, love the engine leading edges, and also the 'hot' business ends here are also very eye catching. AA Cockpit decals?

. . . . and yes, the question I'm sure you are going to be asked many times - how did you defy gravity here. I am ruling out your tossing it in the general direction of the base ( nice work there too ) and hope for a few lucky shots.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

I Mike,

you mean of course the Air Zim plane on its first bounce after touching down?

Beautiful model!!! Congrats!

JR

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments.

As for defying gravity, no smoke and mirrors (or the use of opposing poles on hidden magnets). Just a few clicks on Photoshop.

Here's a before and after shot :

UMA320before.jpgUMA320after.jpg

If only building them was as easy as rubbing them out !

• Like 6

Lovely build and a great pose. I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles building Zvezdas Airbus kits. Nice plastic and all that but boy, are they tricky to put together (well, that's what I find).

Jeff

• Like 1

First class Mike - thanks for sharing.

It's great to see Zvezda's dropped flaps and slats coming into their own although they require levels of skill and patience which I don't possess.

• Like 1

Gorgeous Mike! I love the sharp and crisp finish you always achieve.

Have you thought of making a short animation of it landing? I think there are stop start motion apps out there. That'd be cool!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

As for defying gravity, no smoke and mirrors (or the use of opposing poles on hidden magnets). Just a few clicks on Photoshop.

Booo, & I thought you'd finally got that anti-grav base to work!

Another stunner Mike, looks really very nice indeed!

Keith

PS, I can't make the meeing on Wednesday, so I guess I'm going to miss seeing another one. :(

• Like 1

Wow... Just wow. I'm loving the African theme you've been in for a while. I recently pulled up your triple DC-8 thread to help me on the way with my own... I don't stand a chance in the Group Build, seeing what you have achieved. Your planes are truly amazing! They are something to be marveled at. I can't say enough!

All the best,

Drew

• Like 2

Great build, I have been on that flight several times - maybe too many times. My Mother in Law will be on it in a few weeks time when she comes over to visit us here in the UK :)

• Like 1

That is an absolute brilliant build. I love the engines and overall detail. Nice decals as well.

This bird is a frequent visitor to Johannesburg and is often seen along with their old B767 they still operate to Johannesburg as well. Always a nice sight.

• Like 1

Quick question, how do you mask the engines in prep for painting the intake rings aluminum (or silver, chrome, etc)? Using a strip of tamiya tape, for me, crinkles up and leaves "creased bubbles". Your input would be extremely helpful, seeing how great your engines and the entire plane turned out. Great job!

All the best,

Drew

Edited by DrewP
  • Like 1

Hmmm, I've been thinking about this build. Something seems to be missing. Trying to put my finger on it - Oh yes, the cheat line! It is actually done so well, it gets away with it though.

To make up for building a non cheat line airliner however, I'm going to have to insist you add a "with something else" photo to this thread. Don't throw too many traditions out all at once.

• Like 1

Quick question, how do you mask the engines in prep for painting the intake rings aluminum (or silver, chrome, etc)? Using a strip of tamiya tape, for me, crinkles up and leaves "creased bubbles". Your input would be extremely helpful, seeing how great your engines and the entire plane turned out. Great job!

All the best,

Drew

I know you're not asking me, but I'll chime in here!!

Cut the Tamiya tape into a thin (1mm wide) strip with a metal ruler.

Then carefully apply one end of this thin strip up to the edge of the intake lip, and slightly pull the tape to stretch it and lay it down as you rotate the engine, keeping the edge of the tape along the edge of the intake lip. The stretching of the tape will cause it to cling tightly to the border of the intake lip because it's trying to "unstretch" and return to its original length. This should eliminate any creases and bubbles. Then if you're going to spray the metal colour, use larger pieces of tape to mask off the engine.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat

Lovely build and a great pose. I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles building Zvezdas Airbus kits. Nice plastic and all that but boy, are they tricky to put together (well, that's what I find).

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I've built a couple of Zvezda A320s without too many problems so far, but I did have some serious issues with the paintwork on this one ! It started out in another colour scheme before I changed my mind and then it turned really sour. At times, it really felt like I'd never finish this one so while I was battling with it, I started building another. Wish I hadn't as I've actually had some serious issues with the build this time ! I'm beginning to think I'm trying too hard ? :banghead:

Gorgeous Mike! I love the sharp and crisp finish you always achieve.

Have you thought of making a short animation of it landing? I think there are stop start motion apps out there. That'd be cool!

Cheers,

Ian

Cheers Ian. You've given me an idea......

Thank heavens the runway is too short ! :pilot:

That's an absolute stunner Mike. Finish and composition of the display are first class.

Thank you for posting.

How about ST-AFA for your next project then?

Chris

I'm liking the thought process Chris but I've got to head further south on my tour of Africa (for Airliner Group Build III), before making my way back up north via the West Coast.

Wow... Just wow. I'm loving the African theme you've been in for a while. I recently pulled up your triple DC-8 thread to help me on the way with my own... I don't stand a chance in the Group Build, seeing what you have achieved. Your planes are truly amazing! They are something to be marveled at. I can't say enough!

All the best,

Drew

Thanks Drew, but don't think of the Group Build as being a competition. I've entered a couple of Group Builds as an excuse to have a crack at something that I keep putting off. Guaranteed that the support you'll get from like-minded individuals will keep you going while you're waiting for the glue to dry. :winkgrin:

All the best,

Drew

Been there with the crinkled tape Drew. I start off by cutting thin slices of tape for the front bits and then winding it around the engine and overlapping it as I go. Once the first bit is on, I use slightly wider tape for the next layer, and as I move towards the exhaust, the tape gets wider still. I'll post some photos the next time I build some. (Was typing this response when Jeff beat me to it !)

Hmmm, I've been thinking about this build. Something seems to be missing. Trying to put my finger on it - Oh yes, the cheat line! It is actually done so well, it gets away with it though.

To make up for building a non cheat line airliner however, I'm going to have to insist you add a "with something else" photo to this thread. Don't throw too many traditions out all at once.

Okay....I've been bust fair and square, but it's not my fault m'lud. Those pesky critters around Southern Africa have taken the easy option of painting flags on their tails and leaving everything else white. (I'm holding the Namibians responsible ! :shoot: )

Never fear, I'm hoping to return "cheatline city" soon with one of the best ever (IMHO....), so stay tuned !

Best Regards

mike

• Like 1