Little Donkeys - Hasegawa 1/72 I-16 Dual Combo *FINISHED*

Thanks very much gents - I got the u/cs assembled and fitted, but was still greatly relieved at the news that the GB end date has been extended by a week to 01 October :)

DSCN5421.jpg

The pre-shading came out really well on the winter-coated version, unfortunately this doesn't really show in the pictures. I hope to get some more work done on these at the weekend... 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

Yesterday evening I gave both aircraft a couple of coats of Klear:

DSCN5426.jpg

... and today I have been applying the transfers:

DSCN5429.jpg

I don't think I am giving away any trade secrets if I imply that Hasegawa transfers have the reputation of exhibiting a tendency to be a bit thick and unyielding... well I don't know if these were produced by a different company to the usual but they were actually very nice, quite thin but thick enough to be manipulated into position without folding up or splitting - even the silver metallic bands around the engine cowling. I think the transfers look pretty good on, I'm very pleased about that - to me nothing says 'Great Patriotic War' so much as a winter whitewash and a bloody great political slogan spoiling your camouflage and now I have both :D

They'll get a couple of applications of Mr Mark Decal Softer this evening and then tomorrow another coat of Klear to seal everything, then perhaps some weathering, detail painting and final varnishing*

Cheers,

Stew

* Disclaimer - this may not all happen tomorrow 

• Like 12

Thanks very much Jim, Ced :)

I'm calling these done:

DSCN5437.jpg

DSCN5450.jpg

DSCN5456.jpg

DSCN5458.jpg

As discussed at the start of this thread there are some accuracy issues with the Hasegawa I-16 but if you aren't an expert on the type you may find you can overlook them, or you might prefer to buy the (cheaper and) more accurate ICM kit instead. For all that I enjoyed building these, they went together very well, the transfers were good and I'm happy with the finished result.

More pictures in the gallery here.

Thanks to all who took part as usual, and thanks to the hosts and the mods for setting this Group Build up :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 10

These really look superb Stew :worthy: .

Its very hard to choose between them, the white one has a lot of character, I really like the weathering and especially the exhaust stacks. Saying that, the green one is stunning too with the white text.

:goodjob: 

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1