Heinkel He 60 Legion Condor Azur 1/72

Hi

Next from my current series of "old and odd Germans" - Heinkel He 60 "La Fiera del Mar"/512. The kit by Azur (first kit released by this company) with some modifications (for example forward fireing MGs added). Painting scheme from Legion Condor (AS 88), based in El Atayon-Melilla (a Spanish territory in North Africa) 1936 and early 1937. Decals home made and some from drawer.

Let me show two photos of real thing, which I found in Net:

(Please note - no white wing ends as it is displayed on coloured profiles of this machine).

And here is model:

he60 DSC02220he60 DSC02221he60 DSC02222he60 DSC02224he60 DSC02225

Comments welcome as always

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 31

Frankly speaking almost all of us know the He 115, Do 18, Do 24 and other REALLY rare German seaplanes, while this was the He 60 that was outnumbered ONLY by the omnipresent Ar 196. More than 360 He60s were built (that's more than the SOC Seagull not to mention the Westland Whirlwind, He 219 or the H6K Mavis) and they still have been flown from several Kriegsmarine cruisers as late as in 1940.

Thanks for reminding us about this floatplane, JWM :)

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
  • Like 2

A great build of a handsome aircraft, that is a hell of lot of struts to clean up, correct any length problems and attach and then having it all come out true and square especially on a limited run kit like this one. Excellent modelling.

Trev.

• Like 1

Many thanks Gents for comments and likes! - I appreciate them all :)

Indeed, the kit is more basic and short-run-looking than other, newer Azur models.... But likely this is the only one He 60 on the market and now it is not easy to get, BTW.

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Very nice job, J-W! This kit is another one I need for my SCW collection. There was actually a limited run kit of this put out by a German company, that I used to have (the kit, not the company). That one is impossible to find, but the Azur can still be found occasionally.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Jason - thanks! I wish you go get one on e-bay... I did not know about another kit, but now I found it in Net - it was Airmodel vacu https://www.scalemates.com/kits/208424-airmodel-am-225-heinkel-he-60, isn't? It looks very basic, but build of the Azur kit in some aspects (like positioning of struts, for instance) is similar to vacu difficulty.

BTW - I have still a couple of SCW machines in stash, maybe I will do some of them soon. I am thinking on He 59 perhaps... In this moment I am doing next models from mine this year series of marine Germans - namely: Do 18, Do 26 and He 115. We will see how they will turn out...Some weeks more needed to complete all three.

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

J-W, I'd forgotten about Airmodel doing one. The kit I'm thinking of, and I can't remember the name of the company, was limited-run, and rather nice, but expensive. The He-59 I also have, but I'm afraid to do such a large biplane! Right now I'm doing an Avis Bf-109D in SCW markings (small and a monoplane), with green over blue camouflage. This kit it limited-run, but still a nice kit that has gone together reasonably easily, and certainly nothing you couldn't handle.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Many thanks...

And you got the best of both worlds, a biplane with virtually no rigging!

Ian, thanks for noticing that - actually I was surprised analyzing photos, that this time Heinkel's constructors were able to minimalize riging only to central part of upper wing and to floats. If you compare this with He-51 or He-45... A big surprise!

Cheers

J-W

• 2 weeks later...

Learstang and J-W - the model you cannot remember too well is by 'Flugzeug'. Yes, simply 'Airoplane' in German. It is a nice (injection moulded) kit, but a horrible issue is that the whole upper wing is directly, by the leading edge, attached to a sprue :( I have this kit. Due to that horrid leading edge issue it is currently in the stash - quite low ;)

I also just managed to find this Azur kit in the USA and got it delivered here. That is higher in the stash.

After looking at the box contents I can confirm J-W has put in a *lot* of work to get it to look this great :)

JWM - I love the markings you have applied! This looks really superb. Have you thought of putting this in a diorama like the photographs in the ship? It would look fantastic.

Well done for modelling this often forgotten important aircraft.

:goodjob:

Tony

• Like 3

Tony, thank you for the info on Flugzeug (Airplane) model of He-60 and your comment on my additions to Azur :) I appreciate it.

Immadiately I wanted to see the Airplane He 60 kit and its strange construction, but I did not found a photo of it (could you provide one?) - but I have found another kit, by Aerofile, which actually looks like a prpack of Azur

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

Yes; Flugzeug, that was the one! Thank you for the information, Tony! It's just possible I may still have it somewhere buried in my storeroom, but I doubt it. I'll probably stick with buying the Azur kit. I don't care if it's rough or not, it's still better than nothing, which is what I have in the way of an He-60 now. I also might look for that Aerofile kit; I have a Breda Ba.65 by them, with SCW markings, and it's not a bad little kit.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

Hi Jerzy!!!!!

I have been looking your nice work as have not had the pleasure of heardd of this kit before, but I am sure that with your expert guidance for sure have got a great knowledge of many subjects and the cultural part of our cherished hobby is fulfilled more than properly. Those kits were not available here locally, and only thanks by Squadron Catalog and Mail Order we got in some cases, at that time when they appeared news of their existence.

Thank you very much for your sharing and the joy of watching your wonderful work!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Hi,

Jason - interesting is that those rare machines were sometimes modelled by a variety of small companies...

Luis Alfonso - there is a Spanish inscription on sides - have you noticed them? For this inscription I changed concept which markings should I do... "La Fiera del mar" - is it "the fury of sea"?

Many thanks for comments.

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

Hi,

Jason - interesting is that those rare machines were sometimes modelled by a variety of small companies...

Luis Alfonso - there is a Spanish inscription on sides - have you noticed them? For this inscription I changed concept which markings should I do... "La Fiera del mar" - is it "the fury of sea"?

Many thanks for comments.

Cheers

J-W

Hi Jerzy!!!

YES, MY FRIEND!!! I have noticed the name of the nice little plane, you are near in your concept, but more right it means in Spanish "The Wild Beast of the Sea", related to a "ferocious beast " in this case. Without a doubt modeling is another source of knowledge in many ways for many of us, thank you very much for ask me. BTW If one day one of this magnificent kits cross in front of me, for sure will buy her to replicate yours!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Thanks Luis -Alfonso. If you would go to do this painting scheme please note, that on colour profiles (from Spanish monography, "Heinkel He-60" by Molina and Crespo) the ends of wings are painted white, what is not seen on the photos! But I cannot exclude, that this is just a question of time - the white ends were added later, perhaps...

I have to tell, that I have changed my mind from doing WWII Mediterranean Luftwaffe painting scheme to the SCW already during doing the model - There was some your suggestion on this - and this was a good choice I think. So thx for this also.

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

P.S. I hope to present next two German a bit "old and odd" seaplanes soon B)....

• Like 1