1/72 - IAI C2/C7 “KFIR” by AMK AvantGarde Model Kits - progress

25 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Have you tried googling "Griffin LGB"?   I got pointed towards the Clarke Griffin LGBT Center.

According to Wikipedia, Griffin LGBs have been sold to India and carried on Jaguars.  Now there's an interesting project.

From what I know India bought the kit to be used on their bombs, problem is that I don't know which bombs... the few pictures I've seen seem to show the Israeli LGB guidance kit on UK style 1000 Lbs bombs, may require a bit of cut and paste between the AMK parts and a suitable bomb (that should be easily found in every Jaguar kit)

Edited by Giorgio N

Ok, the decals on one are perfectly in register, whilst the other is slightly off, with both the Israeli and Ecuadorian insignia being most prominently affected.

I see the point about the white backing on the Ecuadorian roundels not being quite wide enough. I may well use a white backing patch on these.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

...UK style 1000 Lbs bombs, may require a bit of cut and paste between the AMK parts and a suitable bomb (that should be easily found in every Jaguar kit)

Well...the Hasegawa kit only has BL755s.

7 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

However...  I've been thinking about this, and I believe that AMK intended the fins to be damaged.   There are three items which have vulnerable fins: Python III missiles, GBU-12 and Griffin LGBs.   Each part comes on its own sprue which interlock ingeniously to form a small stack of four.  In each case only two are required for a build choice.  I think that AMK have purposely provided more than necessary in the expectation that the one at the top will be damaged but will protect the others.  They could have tooled up a protective part, but that would have increased moulding costs. They could have provided internal packaging, but again that would have bumped up packaging costs on an inexpensive kit.  Providing an extra couple of pieces as they did costs pennies but protects the parts effectively.

That’s quite right. Not really intended to be damaged, but they are protected by the weapons on top so you get extra to use on what you like.
Costs nothing to add and makes the experience better.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Mine arrived today from MJW and I share the same feelings, fantastic stuff ! I really wish AMK to keep offering us kits like this, whatever the subject I may pick them just for the pleasure of buying a great kit

Glad you like it! If they keep up the good work, we'll stock other kits they'll do.

8 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

My two arrived from MJW yesterday and I think it's a peach! When I first heard about it, I expected it to be at least twice the price, but the tenner I paid for mine represents outstanding value. Consider me an AMK fan!

I can only echo the calls for a 1/72 Mirage III.

Well done to everyone at AMK.

Cheers,

Mark.

It's a nice kit, I made sure I got one from myself to add to my Israeli collection, I might get another so I can do a C2 and C7. We do really need a nice new Mirage III, plenty of variants and markings there but I really want a decent IIICJ for my stash

8 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

MJW seem to have been doing a roaring trade with this kit.  I've also bought two!

It's been the quickest selling kit for us for quite a while. It's getting really hard sell new kits in any quantity for a number of reasons I won't go into here.

In my own example, I haven't noticed any broken parts, which is a bonus but I've not looked too hard at the decals, as long as the Israeli decals are fine, that's ok for me.

thanks

Mike 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I managed to get their last one just now. Martin

We have a few more in stock and we'll reorder them (hopefully) when we run out.

I meant to say, I need the proper pylons for the Python 3's, as I want to use them on my Hasegawa F-15C. I wonder if something AMK would consider is an Israeli weapons set (with different weapons to the Skunkworks set) with pylons to use Python 3's on F-15's. Another thought for AMK would be the Nesher and the Israeli A-4 with extended jet exhaust....

thanks

Mike

• Like 3

Martin, is it likely that an early Kfir (C1, F-21) will be produced? I realise that you have other projects on the go in certain other scales, but I'd dearly love to add a USMC F-21 to my ATAC Kfir C2 currently on the bench.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Procopius said:

Well...the Hasegawa kit only has BL755s.

That's annoying, more so as the Hasegawa Jaguar is the one I planned on buying... not that I lack British bombs in my stash, but having a few more is always useful. Now if AMK would like to do a Jaguar... :D

16 hours ago, ICMF said:

Thanks for posting this. Not sure from this view, but I'd say a UK 1,000 Lbs body

Edited by Giorgio N

14 hours ago, Mikemx said:

Another thought for AMK would be the Nesher and the Israeli A-4 with extended jet exhaust....

thanks

Mike

I'll second that thought!  I have a quartet of AMK Kfirs winging their way to me - would love a Nesher and Scooter!

• Like 1

I have received my AMK 1/72 Kfir from Hannants today.  I am very happy with the kit contents, everything in my opinion is there to build a nice model of the Kfir aircraft, yes, I am slightly disappointed with the Ecuador decals being out of register, but, as I am building the Colombian version it's okay for me.  Aftermarket decal sets are available for the Kfir anyway.

My congratulations to AMK for providing us modellers with an affordable and complete quality package !

Regards Colin.

• Like 3

On 10/11/2017 at 12:52 AM, Andrew said:

Martin, is it likely that an early Kfir (C1, F-21) will be produced? I realise that you have other projects on the go in certain other scales, but I'd dearly love to add a USMC F-21 to my ATAC Kfir C2 currently on the bench.

Well, not at the present time because we are concentrating on the Tomcat of course.

Who knows after that? :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Martin @ AMK Hobby said:

Well, not at the present time because we are concentrating on the Tomcat of course.

Mirage III/5 of course! :D

6 hours ago, Martin @ AMK Hobby said:

46 minutes ago, Wez said:

Mirage III/5 of course! :D

19 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Or 2000...

Obviously the 2000 which is also poorly represented in 1/72nd but naturally it should follow the III/5.

4 minutes ago, Wez said:

Obviously the 2000 which is also poorly represented in 1/72nd but naturally it should follow the III/5.

The compromise is to have them both released at the same time in June 2018.

That okay with you, Martin?  :lol: 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Martin @ AMK Hobby said:

Martin, if you guys are cooking up a new Tomcat, can you PLEEEEEEEEEAAAASE consider giving us the option to leave off the door to the refueling probe compartment? It would make life so much easier for us who want to build iranian Tomcats... :)

4 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

The probe door cover is the least of your worries mate if you plan to try and make an Iranian A from their upcoming D kit :D 

Ooooops, didn't realize it's D's that they are cooking up... :P

Must say, that makes more sense... I was actually thinking "What? Yet another Tomcat?", but Deltas are really quite scarce out there, and when you do find a Hasegawa available, you have to sell a kidney to get one!!

Well, I still hope that if AMK ever does decide to put yet another F-14A out in the market, they do consider the probe door cover issue... :P

Edited by Urubu-Rei

16 hours ago, Martin @ AMK Hobby said:

Very many thanks for your answer and consideration. I look forward to an early Kfir to the standard of your C2/C7.

• Like 1