1/72 - IAI C2/C7 “KFIR” by AMK AvantGarde Model Kits - progress

1 hour ago, Urubu-Rei said:

Since the need for a new Mirage III was brought up, can anyone say what's wrong with the ones from AML and RV?

Neither are mainstream kits, both tend to be at the more expensive end of the price range most people would consider paying for a 1/72nd Mirage.

Does the former matter?  Yes, because I for one, want to make a range of Mirages and want consistency, e.g. repeatable results, not a kit that has to be fettled so much that it every build feels like a chore.

Does the latter matter?  Yes, absolutely, especially again if you want to make a number of aircraft, however, in the current Mirage Group Build, a number of us are making PJ/HPM versions of the 1/72nd Mirage III/5.  It's an expensive kit which is why I'm persisting with mine, but I won't be in a hurry to buy another.

I haven't seen an AML kit in years.

As for the RV kit, it's covered in unnecessary divots for rivets and is not the easiest of builds, but don't take my word for it, read Graeme's build thread here from the Mirage GB.

Modern, mainstream, affordable kits of the Mirage III/5 series are wanted by many.

• Like 4

Spot on Wez,

I too would like to indulge in more than one 1/72 Mirage kit, however every time I get excited about possible projects I start to do the maths and it just fails to add up.

I would not call myself a miserable old fool that is not prepared to pay for quality produts, however I think I know where to find value for money and I cannot seem to find this with the current crop of 1/72 Mirages.

Therefore - I still believe that there is room for an AMK Mirage family of sorts. If the Kfir has sold out in record time you can only imagine what a good quality and well priced Mirage III would sell like! You only have to look at the number of countries that operated this beautiful aircraft to see what worldwide potential there is.

If AMK want to make a quick buck - I'd delay the 1/48 F-14 even further and put all efforts on a Mirage IIIC/E kit before someone else decides too.

Cheers... Dave    

.... By the way - glad to hear your on the mend Martin.

• Like 1

Good morning

I would like to suggest AMK to concentrate on Mirage III and 2000 famillies in 1/72 as there are already a lot of F14Tomcat 1/48 kits

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=Kits&q=+F+14+TOMCAT+1%2F48  

while there is clearly a shortage of good MIrage III and 2000 in 1/72 ..

Best regards

Patrice  

• Like 2

On 8/23/2017 at 9:31 PM, Laurent said:

I'm a little puzzled. AFAIK the front fuselage (from the pitot to the rear of the canopy) is the same (appart from the eventual Doppler bulge). A plug was inserted behind the cockpit in the IIIE to add an avionic bay. Roughly speaking, on the IIIC, the rear canopy frame ends on the intake duct while in the IIIE it ends near the intake face. 

I've had another look and the kit's forward fuselage is as you describe

• 2 weeks later...

Some concerns have been raised about the dogtooth leading edges on the wing of this kit.  The sprue photos show a distinct panel ridge on the uppersurface of the wing behind the dogtooth.  It looks quite bad in the pictures.  It looks slightly better when you get to see the parts in the flesh plastic.

Let me just point aout that once the airframe is assembled and primed with Alclad2 primer, then the parts look perfectly excellent. 

Nothing to see here.  Move along...   :D 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Let me just point aout that once the airframe is assembled and primed with Alclad2 primer, then the parts look perfectly excellent. 

Nothing to see here.  Move along...   :D 

Nope... where's the build ?!?!

12 hours ago, luis pacheco said:

I am still undecided between Ecuador and Colombia. The decals looks fine for both versions.

One kit will be israeli, other will be sri-lankan perhaps.

First box

amkKfirIsraeliRoundels.jpg

Second box

amkKfirEcuadorRoundels.jpg

The problem are the missiles with damaged fins.

21557463_515831825438357_380894523346619

Same thing on my two kits but it's a non-issue: two LGBs are to be used, not all four.

The decals and mis-cast missiles are quite disappointing. Their 1/48 Magistrer is honestly faultless, so this is not up there with what AMK has been producing of late. I have only read glowing reports of this company's products so this is the first hiccup that I can see. 

I do not have this kit, however hardly think that these issues place this kit in the 'unbuildable' category. Anyway - let's hope that these problems are just faults with the first batch run. I'd be very surprised if it's not corrected on the second run. 

Cheers.. Dave 

43 minutes ago, ICMF said:

You are literally the only person who has used that word.

Technically I haven't!! Let's not add an inference that's not there. I'm actually trying to defend AMK by their excellent past products. 

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I know it sounds as though I'm saying "I'm alright, Jack!"  but my decals and LGBs are perfect!

You're right, it does!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Laurent said:

One kit will be israeli, other will be sri-lankan perhaps.

First box

amkKfirIsraeliRoundels.jpg

Second box

amkKfirEcuadorRoundels.jpg

Same thing on my two kits but it's a non-issue: two LGBs are to be used, not all four.

My decals looks Ok. I had more luck. :D

21762159_516274395394100_727410070668729

The missiles question are not a big deal but when I buy something I hope it does not come with defects.

21685950_516273605394179_83956903950777721686486_516273758727497_685638115343317

21687605_516273845394155_293566347385991

21687404_516273892060817_315135027806645

Edited by luis pacheco