Very far out of my comfort zone... 1/35 King Tiger (DML)

I rarely make armour (this is my third in about 15 years of modelling) but this kit and PE combo was going cheap in China so i bought it on a whim. Eight years after starting, assembly is complete!

tn_DSCN5260.jpg

It's the Dragon Porsche turret kit with Voyager PE set.

tn_DSCN5262.jpg

tn_DSCN5290.jpg

tn_DSCN5292.jpg

The Zimmerit is a resin set from Cavalier Model Productions. I thought it was excellent.

tn_DSCN5294.jpg

tn_DSCN5298.jpg

The barrel is from Lion Roar.

tn_DSCN5297.jpg

tn_DSCN5300.jpg

That's it so far, ready for paint. I'm going for a three-colour scheme which is probably fictitious and may offend the purists!

Al

• Like 15

Nice going Alan, looks fantastic from where I'm sitting. Looking at that you wouldn't know, that it's not your usual line of expertise.

• Like 1

Bugger the purists! :chair:

These things were painted by teenagers who'd never painted anything before.

Somewhere I have a photo of two guys painting a tank by pouring buckets of colour on the bloody thing!

(hafta do that as a vignette someday....)

Q

• Like 2

Never mind the opinions of "those that are intimate with rivets". This is a beautiful build so enjoy your own paintwork instead of having someone's interpretation of black & white 70 year old photos hijack your fun and build.

:winkgrin:

• Like 3

cracking build, didn't think there was such a thing as default camouflage? let your imagination run wild.

Exactly, how many variations are possible with a bucket of diesel and three tubes of concentrated colour pigments :coolio:

• Like 2

Superb build Alan.....As the lads have pointed out you have room for maneuver. You can either pick a known 'turret number' so to speak and copy photos, or choose one of the blanks and do what the hell you like, I tend to favour the latter option as a rule. :coolio:

• Like 2

Looking very nice. I am always wary of completely building then painting as it looks difficult to get in behind those tracks and wheels. Will be interested to see how you do it and get a few hints.

Great work so far

Bob

• Like 1

Thanks for those words of encouragement everybody :)

tn_DSCN5301.jpg

tn_DSCN5302.jpg

tn_DSCN5303.jpg

tn_DSCN5304.jpg

That's the basic paint job complete. I saw a scheme in a book which had these kind of half-moon shapes in contrasting colours - wondering if that would be overkill!

It's an entirely fictitious scheme that i made up on the spot - any thoughts?

Al

• Like 10

Very nice paint work, it has brought it to life. How did you do the tracks and wheels? Did you remove them or was it careful and clever masking? Do tell!

Bob

• Like 1

I would not say it was a fiction colour scheme, most schemes were the whim of the crews.

The basic colours were issued and they carried pots of paint in the panzers for this purpose .

Nice scheme if I might say so. :thumbsup2:

foxy :coolio:

• Like 1

Smashing.....Love the slightly purple brown, spot on that is! :thumbsup:

I wouldn't add the contrasting colours over the top (ambush/octopus).....What you have there is extremely plausible right now and could easily represent a Kingtiger from one of several different units. :coolio:

• Like 1

THANK YOU very much, this is a bit of an adventure for me, made so much easier by the helpful and welcome comments..

How did you do the tracks and wheels? Did you remove them or was it careful and clever masking? Do tell!

I used a fine spray and did it all freehand. As there's no tyres i just thought, go for it!

I wouldn't add the contrasting colours over the top (ambush/octopus).....What you have there is extremely plausible right now and could easily represent a Kingtiger from one of several different units. :coolio:

Good advice, which I shall follow!

Thanks once again, superb effort with the help and encouragement everybody. :clap2:

I've put a wash on so far and painted all the details. Very happy so far...

tn_DSCN5305.jpg

Flash very unflattering!

tn_DSCN5306.jpg

tn_DSCN5307.jpg

Thanks,

Al

• Like 7

Might be worth considering a much stronger pinwash over some of the details to make them pop.....I'm thinking the major structures like the rear turret hatch and engine deck, on the latter excess pigment can be moved around to create the basis for oil spills, streaks and stains. :coolio:

• Like 2