Porsche mega build

Hi chaps,

I couldn't hold this back any longer so I am going to start the thread for this now.

These are my planned builds

20160624_114150_zpsdexp3q9z.jpg

Right now here's the reasoning behind trying to keep track of 4 builds at once. My plan was to make porsches most historical moments in sports car races but mainly lemans (in my opinion) so I have the fujimi 917k for porsches first lemans win.

The protar 956 which will be done as the bellof nurburgring 6.11 lap car, fortunately protar actually made a proper 956 high downforce car.

The shell sponsored 962 as it was the last works entry for porsche at lemans with the 962 and will be built as chassis 962-010. With this one I will be mutilating the tamiya kit and a revell/ hasegawa 962 kit and this time try to make it as a curate as possible.

Finally the studio 27 porsche 919 hybrid from 2015. Until last weekend was the latest porsche to win at lemans but the '16 spec car won't be released until later this year so I still class it as th most recent winning porsche.

more to come soon and maybe even some cut plastic or resin

shaun

• Like 3

Interesting project. I'm curious how you will combine the Tamiya and Revell / Hasegawa 962.

I've started a conversion of the Revell 962, the plan is to turn it into a longtail Le Mans winner (Rothmans) without using a resin aftermarket longtail bonnet.

Sincerely

Pascal

Hi pascal I am doing a mix up of tamiya porsche and revell porsche at the moment in another build thread but haven't done it to a perfect result, basically I used it as a test for this to see if it can be done. In that I have used the revell front end with a tamiya rear hatch and rear part of the floor. I know that the wheel arches for the tamiya parts need rounding out and a naca duct needs to be added in either the hatch or the roof of the revell part.

My plan for the 88' car is pretty similar to what you are wanting to do so for that I will be using the revell body with the engine cover cut off and the exhaust oulet panels replaced possibly, then adding a tamiya 956 engine cover to it which will need a few modifications to get on to the revell body and to then add the tamiya 962 rear floor and openings. Basically it will be a mash up between 3 kits to make 1 car lol

Shaun

So some unboxings

The Fujimi Porsche 917k.

It has been made up in nice red plastic, looks to be very clean with little to no flash, pretty nice thing that it comes with multiple parts for different cars, there are a few raised details that need sanding off but should be a straight forward build. Still haven't decided if I should get a the engine upgrade kits from the US.

20160626_123555_zpsg9afx039.jpg

The decals are very nicely printed also and from the instructions are pretty straight forward to get on

20160626_123612_zpsyl2ose82.jpg

Tamiya and Revell Porsche 962.

This is the car that is going to require the most work. In the picture below the Tamiya body is on the left and Revell on the right, as you can see there are inaccuracies on both cars and I have only just realised that the decals I have only enable me to make a high down force spec car. So the plan is now to use the Revell body as it doesn't have the clear parts bonded to the shell like the Tamiya one amd then the Tamiya parts in some way

20160626_121908_zpstsemoo8p.jpg

20160626_121935_zpslhxlbfhi.jpg

These are the Tamiya under body parts below, if they don't get used on this they will with a future 956/962 build

20160626_122205_zpscpnksk5i.jpg

Protar Porsche 956.

This kit for its age is amazing, from what I can tell Protar are the only maker that made a high down force 956 as standard but I would have liked the metal version more though. Obviously though given its age it's not the most accurate model of all time and will have some quite significant surgery to get it up to scratch

20160626_123434_zpsw2szdxdb.jpg

Also I think I right when I say that apart from the multimedia kits from mfh this is also the only 956 to have the doors out as standard

20160626_123439_zpsslj9ezk2.jpg

The only problem is that the decals are shot

20160626_123454_zpsi8rgh6oy.jpg

But it's OK as there are some spare decals from the Revell kit that will fit

20160626_123507_zps7k3m5mbr.jpg

More soon

Shaun

• Like 2

I almost forgot.

The S27 Porsche 919 hybrid.

This is just a beast of a model, very nicely cast resin and white metal parts lovely p/e parts and crisp decals

The body

20160626_121304_zpsrarv4k9k.jpg

There is one problem I have found and it's the eine cover fin is a little too thin down at the bottom

20160626_121328_zpsmpwqnhgt.jpg

The instructions are a little confusing though, not sure how I feel about the model being in black and the writing in black and white, it may be very easy to overlook a bit or 2 I think

20160626_121213_zpsaug4gntu.jpg

The p/e is nice though and doesn't look too daunting

20160626_121515_zpsfhmwudzo.jpg

All the metal bits are nicely cast

20160626_121451_zps8te6sf3h.jpg

The tyres are proper rubber and need minimal cleaning up but the seem down the middle is a touch large

20160626_121430_zpsrfog5c0g.jpg

Lots of nice decals

20160626_121611_zps0nh4xg9h.jpg

And some proper mirror chrome stickers

20160626_121627_zpserzjql4e.jpg

I have to admit I am a little worried about the Porsche intelligent performance decals that run the length of the car as they are in so many parts

20160626_121551_zpsp8frdfh0.jpg

More soon

shaun

• Like 4

Thanks for the comments guys.

The 919 is an amazingly engineered kit but it's not straight forward, I haven't test fitted anything yet but there are a few areas that I can already see that may cause some hurt eyes/ fingers.

Also u haven't really thought of a build path yet as for which order to make them, I like the idea of going from oldest to newest but some will require more work than others.

Shaun

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right so along with the many projects I have on the go I haven't forgot about this one but there's not much progress as I am trying to make up the rear section for the 88' porch 962 to fit the tamiya kit and prepping all the meal parts for the resin 919 but I did have a very slow/boring day at work today and doodled around on the computer a little too much and did this

1468431763701_zpssdwhq3xj.png

More on actual models soon

Shaun

• Like 1

So I feel it's time to show what I have done on these cars.

I started with what will be the hardest build, the 1988 962 shell car, as all the others are pretty straight forward and to the book.

I started by drilling around the the naca duct as it needs moving to above the driver

20160714_202405_zpskzyj61k8.jpg

From there I cut off the rear wing endplates and sanded the areas flat

20160714_202424_zpshsgyk8lu.jpg

Then took off the raised areas on the ducts that feed the rear brakes

20160714_202418_zpss8eecouq.jpg

So finally the top duct has been removed and now I can get on to filling the hole it left and cutting the new one

20160714_203910_zpshwa1unk9.jpg

So now I just need to change the rear section to the long heck and then I can move on the the front

More soon

Shaun

• Like 1

Looking forward to this one Shaun. I'm not sure, but I believe that 010 had 16 inch wheels with bigger tires on the rear wheels.

The Hase / Revell kit has 19 inch rear wheels, will you use the wheels from the Tamiya kit or some replacement wheels ?

Not too sure at the moment pascal as you will see from my work today the revellers kit has some major shortfalls that unless I put an insane amount of work into I can't fix

So this is where today started.

I mapped out the dimensions of the revell kit then lined off the width, which to my surprise was actually pretty much bang on at 24th scale, then marked off the rear wheel arches, the most foward part was easy as I could use the kit part as guide, the rear was a little more tricky as I've lost my set square so used one of my kids building blocks to mark the line across, the same building block was used to do the very most rearward part of the car, so this 2 lines may not be 100% correct. The last line is the max length for group c cars back in 88', the revell body as I have it now is about 20 mm short.

20160715_183621_zpskc9xz9mj.jpg

So with that information now logged I took to the Internet to find a good side picture of either the 87 factory car or 88 factory car, it turns out this is very hard to find so a friend for a Facebook group I am on helped with a picture he had and has assured me its the correct dimensions so I printed it out and it was just under the 4800mm real car which worked out at 200mm in 24th scale but I have to take into account that the picture I have is if a 3d car not 2d as I'd need for this kind of work

20160715_183845_zpswyw1bmfn.jpg

As it's only the rear section I am worried about I cut that out and cut the wheel out too then matched it up which is when I realised the revell kits wheel base is about 4mm off the real car and from looking in the pictures all that space is made up in between the middle of the side window and where the engine cowl joins are, so I can't really change that without some big kit surgery so that will stay as it is

20160715_183900_zps9mcsxuzn.jpg

I then cut off the rear wing end plates on the picture as they will be needed at a later stage and then matched the rest of the picture up to where the most forward part of the wheel arch is and low and behold it is about 3/4mm short of the max length line so around 72mm at full scale, which from what I found is about double what the late 962s ever ran in long heck but I don't just want to add more material at the back as it will look too much so a fine balance will be needed

20160715_184049_zps6j32qbxm.jpg

Lastly from all this I took what was left from the picture and put the revell kit over it, drew some lines of the revell car on to it and had this a short while later. Obviously it isn't the final design I just want some draft copies to check the look and also find out any problem areas

20160715_184617_zpsylzph1ei.jpg

More soon

Shaun

• Like 1

A small update on the 962 for today

I am following pascals lead in changing the rear of the floor pan to fit the car

20150412_002855_zpsogxqoqkz.jpg

Also I have got the rear part of the body sorted

20150412_002920_zpstzz27ppc.jpg

The middle section was the biggest pain in the butt but it's done with very minimal clean up now needed

20150412_002931_zpshbranhw6.jpg

The duct above the cockpit was stolen from the tamiya body that isn't being used

20150412_002944_zpsifrrnsv7.jpg

Thanks for looking

Shaun

• Like 1

Very small update for a lazy Saturday

I put primer on the bits I have modified to check the joins, there is a little more work to do but not much

20160723_162241_zpsefzarcfz.jpg

20160723_162250_zpsyaqyokfa.jpg

I put some wheel arches in this as well, they where cut from the tamiya 962 floor pan

20160723_162301_zpsdmyo6zsy.jpg

More soon

Shaun

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

To those who were watching I have stopped making the majority of these cars due to having too much on the go at the moment maybe soon I will do some individual threads for each of the cars.

Sorry chaps

Shaun

• Like 1

To those who were watching I have stopped making the majority of these cars due to having too much on the go at the moment maybe soon I will do some individual threads for each of the cars.

Sorry chaps

Shaun

I know what you mean, I have had zero time to finish my 956 in the last month or so.