Warbirds over Wanaka 2016

nuuumannn

Hi Guys,

I don't know if anyone has put any images from WOW 2016, so I thought I'd throw some your way. It was a good show this year.

Firstly, here's some of Bill Reid's lovely Anson I being put through its paces.

Anson%201_zpsrlpdyixs.jpg

Anson%203_zps0250xrkz.jpg

Anson%205_zpshkckmmiu.jpg

Anson%207_zpsyfqsifss.jpg

Anson%208_zpstb7af4qk.jpg

Anson%2010_zpsdqemvizm.jpg

Anson%2014_zpsrkmnfxqy.jpg

Anson%2016_zps2mbllenw.jpg

More soon.

• Like 7

Great pics and lovely to see the Anson airborne,........ but does it have the wings from a later C.19/T.22 variant fitted?

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony, its metal wings were retro-fitted as a result of a regulation being put out in Australia (it's ex-RAAF, serial MH120) regarding wooden winged Ansons back in the 60s after there were a few incidents of wooden wings suffering failure, I think the same thing was done in the UK in the 50s. Avro produced a mod enabling Mk.Is to be fitted with metal wings, which earned the MK.I the suffix Series II and this one was operating in civilian hands until the 70s/80s. I think there are only a couple of wooden winged Anson Is left in the world and obviously since this is the only flying Anson I, none are airworthy. Note also the early style of sharply sloping windscreen, these were removed in service since pilots complained of the glare and so only the earliest examples were built with them.

Edited by nuuumannn
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting, I would love to see the Anson flying and trip to Wanaka for the show is on my bucket list. I made to the museum back in 1999 but in the height of summer when it was incredibly hot.

My late father was toolmaker for Avro and he loved the Anson, even managed to blag us a look round one of the last flying Ansons here in the UK when I was about 12. Nearly got a flight but there was technical failure and it didn't fly that day.

Looking forward to more photos

Lovely pics in a lovely land!! Seeing the Avenger reminds me I have aHasegawa kit to use my RNZAF decals by Ventura on.

I was leading a school Gold DoE trip from the UK to NZ back in 2002 when we flew into Queenstown the day before the airshow. Totally a fluke but we took all of the group on a trip to see some amazing flying in one of the most beautiful settings ever. Happy memories...

Hutch