Paint Advice

Glennt80

***Advice please*** I recently bought the Tamiya Subaru Impreza WRC 99 kit. The paints required are for TS-50 I was wondering what an equivalent would be? As I don't have an airbrush so always use hairy stick. Would Humbrol 52 be similar?? Sorry should have added that i would prefer not to use the rattle can which is why I'm looking for an alternative 😀😀

Edited by Glennt80

• 2 months later...

Well, people are still posting to this thread, so.....

.....colour is available from Halfords: "Subaru WRC Blue Mica Metallic 02C".

Paint is cellulose/lacquer based, so make sure you have good ventilation. If memory serves me, the blue varied slightly from year to year and based on use (colour on production cars was slightly different than WRC cars).  I used this colour about 6-7 years ago and it should still be available.  I primed with Tamiya white surface primer (use what brand you like but white results in a more accurate finish) and thinned the paint about 20% - 30% (not sure without having my notes handy - wherever they are!).  I applied it in 3 or 4 light coats, building the colour up slowly.  I had good results using this method - about as close as you can get to the 'real' colour. 

Hope that helps anyone.

Edited by Jerry V

1 hour ago, colin said:

I think the rattle can's the only option, I doubt you'll brush paint a metallic and get a finish you will be happy with, especially on a car body 

No, I meant an air brush (about 12-15 psi) but now that I reread the post I see that Glenn mentioned he doesn't have one.

I agree, spray/rattle can seems to be the best choice ( thought a hairy stick was only for detail work?).  I would buy/order the Tamiya colour (TS-50).