1:72 AZ Models Supermarine Spitfire F.Mk. XIV

Time to build a Spitfire I think. Then again, it's always time to build a Spitfire! And what better subject than Squadron Leader James "Ginger" Lacey's F.Mk.XIV in SEAC markings. This was from the time when he was CO of 17 Squadron in early 1945. The aircraft is RN135, YB-A. I've always felt a kindred spirit with Lacey ever since I saw the photo of him building a model airplane in 501 Squadron's dispersal hut in 1941.

The kit is from AZ Models:

IMG_0105

My choice of markings is on the left:

IMG_0106

My understanding is that the plastic in the kit is identical with the AZ Spitfire Mk.XVIII and that the rudder needs to be replaced. You'll notice that the kit includes both low and high back fuselages, so the low back will find its way to the spares box. I seem to have two extra rudders, one loose and one still on the sprue. They are identical, and are slightly larger in chord than what is moulded with the fuselage. Height seems the same. There is no mention in the instructions about changing the rudder. Interestingly enough, the instructions for the Admiral Mk.XIV (a brand of AZ and the same kit, only low back) does have instructions to change the rudder. Sounds good to me, I guess I'll change it. :)

IMG_0104

Although the box top proclaims that there are resin ("PUR") parts in the kit, there was nothing in my copy. The resin exhausts in the foreground are from Quickboost.

Additional aftermarket parts that may find their way into this build are these photoetch sets from Eduard, Marabu, and Yahu. All designed for Mk.IX Spitfires, but I think there are some things here that can be used on the Mk.XIV.

IMG_0107

Additionally, some three-spoke resin wheels from Barracuda, and the beautiful lathe-turned brass armament from Master.

IMG_0108

The kit comes with both three- and four-spoke wheels. The instructions have you use the four-spoke, yet the box art shows three-spoke. I love it. I guess I'll have to wake up the research department and have them get to work. I posted some questions earlier in the WWII forum about the Mk.XIV cockpit, and I got some good information, especially a link to the pilot's manual. Lots of good drawings!

Well, that's the plan anyway. I've read quite a few on-line discussions about the camouflage colours and markings on RN135, but I think what AZ has shown for the SEAC scheme is good. Quite a few die-cast replicas have this aircraft in the TLS of Dark Earth and Dark Green which seems unlikely to me. Stay tuned, as I may actually start this soon. :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. When did the designation change from F.Mk.XIV to F.14? It's a lot easier to type the latter!

• Like 14

Can't wait to see what you do with this kit Bill.

I'm pretty sure the rudder can stay - the low-back comes with the Mk XVIII rudder molded on and it has to be removed and replaced to make a Mk XIV, but others will know for sure. There are a couple very informative and mildly confusing threads here and here.

• Like 4

Now this is very interesting ! First of all it's another Navy Bird build, and these are always interesting !

Then it's a Spitfire, and a XIV, one of my favourite variants.

Last but not least, it's a well known Spitfire !

I'm sure that the collective BM knowledge of all things Spitfire will find answers to most questions, now I can seat back and prepare to watch.

Thinking about it, maybe I can look into my books to try and see if there's anything useful on this aircraft...

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2016 at 00:19, Cookenbacher said:

Can't wait to see what you do with this kit Bill.

I'm pretty sure the rudder can stay - the low-back comes with the Mk XVIII rudder molded on and it has to be removed and replaced to make a Mk XIV, but others will know for sure. There are a couple very informative and mildly confusing threads here and here.

You're right about those threads being mildly confusing! I pulled the measurements from Edgar and John Aero out of those threads, and I'll compare to the AZ fuselage. I also have the Fujimi 14 kit in my stash (thanks Procopius!) and I would say the AZ tail and rudder is about 0.5mm smaller all the way around. The proportions seem the same, though, so I suspect you wouldn't be able to tell the difference once the two kits were built.

Your suspicion that the rudder can stay is probably correct. After reading all those posts, my understanding is that the larger chord and deeper horn rudder was used on the low back 14 and 18, and was originally planned for contraprop Spits.

On 6/21/2016 at 02:04, Duncan B said:

A Spitfire , oh well at least it's getting the Navy Bird treatment! Be careful, the warning on the box would put me off!

Duncan B

Why? I'm an experienced "colector." :):):)

On 6/21/2016 at 05:28, Giorgio N said:

Now this is very interesting ! First of all it's another Navy Bird build, and these are always interesting !

Then it's a Spitfire, and a XIV, one of my favourite variants.

Last but not least, it's a well known Spitfire !

I'm sure that the collective BM knowledge of all things Spitfire will find answers to most questions, now I can seat back and prepare to watch.

Thinking about it, maybe I can look into my books to try and see if there's anything useful on this aircraft...

On 6/21/2016 at 05:38, Giorgio N said:

Not from one of my books, but maybe these pictures will come handy

http://z15.invisionfree.com/72nd_Aircraft/ar/t4185.htm

I realised after a quick search that this aircraft has been discussed quite a few times before on this same forum...

I'm sure there will be many questions as I proceed; I am certainly no Spitfire expert. Thanks for taking the time to do some research - those photos are great! It's hard to tell, but it looks like RN135 has that extra armour plate behind the headrest, near the middle of the fixed rear canopy.

On 6/21/2016 at 05:37, Gwart said:

Looking forward to seeing this one unfold.4 spoke wheels on RN135,at least when it carried the SEAC scheme.

OK, good, I'll have to go buy some. The ones that come with the kit are a bit lame. Can't have that on Ginger's Spit! :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I also have the Falcon set of vacuform canopies for all the different Spitfire marks. I'm sure I'll be using one of those instead of what comes with the kit. Especially since I like to pose the canopies open.

• Like 3

First question: Did the Mk.XIV have the same (or reasonable similar) stenciling as, say, the Mk.IX? This AZ kit has no stenciling or wing walkways at all, but I have these things in the spares box. If I had to guess, I'd say the stenciling was similar but I'd like to know for sure.

Cheers,

Bill

First question: Did the Mk.XIV have the same (or reasonable similar) stenciling as, say, the Mk.IX? This AZ kit has no stenciling or wing walkways at all, but I have these things in the spares box. If I had to guess, I'd say the stenciling was similar but I'd like to know for sure.

Cheers,

Bill

Stencils on Lacey's aircraft would have been standard stencils for this variant. Most stencils would have been the same as the Mk.IX, some may be in slightly different locations but let me search if I have a diagram for the XIV first.. I also have some pictures of a low back XIV showing some of the stencilling, will look for it and post it.

Wing walways would have been the same. Of course on your aircraft the larger European roundels would have been overpainted and it's likely that the walkway lines would have not been modified to cross the overpainted area.

Speaking of the wings, the XIV had no wheel position indicator, so the relevant stencil would not be applied.

I should add that Tally-Ho did a set of stencils for the XIV in 1/72 scale.

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1

Currently building Admiral's Seafire F.45 without too many hassles, so I shall follow your build with interest. I must say that the modular way that AZ/Admiral/Legato do things does provide plenty of stuff for the spares box although the instructions can be a bit generic.

• Like 3

Bill, I'll be watching this with keeness, having the same kit & liking the same scheme, I do like that SEAC look. bring it on. :)

Steve.

I agree. The SEAC scheme makes this very sleek aeroplane look even sleeker.

• Like 2

Not sure if this is helpful but the Osprey Aircraft of the Aces No. 81 portrays this aircraft, and Ken Charney's 132 Sqn XIV, RN122, in grey and green rather than brown and green.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2016 at 18:17, Meatbox8 said:

Not sure if this is helpful but the Osprey Aircraft of the Aces No. 81 portrays this aircraft, and Ken Charney's 132 Sqn XIV, RN122, in grey and green rather than brown and green.

I agree with Osprey - I'm sure the plane was in the DFS of Dark Green and Ocean Grey. I was wondering why so many die cast models of this particular aircraft are shown in the TLS of Dark Green and Dark Earth? If you do an image search for "spitfire rn135 lacey" you'll see what I mean. Apparently, this is based on a recollection of Lacey's where he stated that the plane was brown and green. He had to be thinking of one of his earlier mounts.

I bought some more aftermarket (I couldn't resist, really). I found some nice looking four-spoke Spitfire wheels/tyres from SBS, and I got the resin five-blade Mk.XIV prop and spinner from Quickboost. The prop is designed for the Academy kit, but I suspect that it will work OK. We'll see.

I've started building the photoetch cockpit from Marabu. And it is the entire cockpit (other than the sidewalls). It's designed for the AZ Mk.IX, but it looks like it will fit. I'll have some photos soon.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6

I bought some more aftermarket (I couldn't resist, really). I found some nice looking four-spoke Spitfire wheels/tyres from SBS, and I got the resin five-blade Mk.XIV prop and spinner from Quickboost. The prop is designed for the Academy kit, but I suspect that it will work OK. We'll see.

I used one on an AZ Spitfire 21, which is of course very similar, and it did loads for the look of it.

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing all those goodies applied although wheels on Spits don't worry me too much because I can't bring myself to spoil those beautiful lines by having the undercarriage down (plus I can give ia spin around the man cave from time to time).

• Like 3

The Frog Mk.XIV which appears in one of your links was a kit I built when I was about 8, and even then I thought the long nose made it look an even more beautiful aircraft. Looking forward to seeing this develop.

• Like 3

On 6/23/2016 at 04:53, AdrianMF said:

Looks like it's going to be fun! Looking at the referenced photos, is the leading "Y" outlined in some way?

Regards,

Adrian

Does look like it, doesn't it? From one of the photos, I can convince myself that the "B" is also outlined. Of course, the stickers supplied with the kit have no outline. I suppose I shall have to look around at aftermarket stickers, just to see if anyone else has noticed this.

Second question: Was the seat in the XIV metal and painted interior green, or was it still the red-brown plastic job?

Cheers,

Bill