1:72 AZ Models Supermarine Spitfire F.Mk. XIV

That's because the photo a few pages ago was a different plane. Here is Lacey's:

lacey_YB-A_2.jpg

PS. Posting this photo of RN135 has me wondering what is underneath the wing by the port landing gear? Hadn't noticed that before, and it's always so much fun trying to identify something in shadow.

Could it be the tip of a near-vertical, downward-pointing propeller blade?

Andrew, in admiration of such a lovely and well-researched / well-finished Spitfire.

• Like 2

I've finally found a candidate I can support!

Can't believe I didn't catch this! I have a Nixon/Agnew button on the back of my backpack, and my cubicle has a Nixon/Lodge button adorning one wall.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2016 at 01:50, Andrew said:

Could it be the tip of a near-vertical, downward-pointing propeller blade?

That's definitely a propeller tip, for sure. I guess I didn't explain myself well enough, this is what I was asking about:

What is this

I first thought it looked like a pylon of some sort, but I really have no clue what it is.

On 8/9/2016 at 09:35, Procopius said:

Can't believe I didn't catch this! I have a Nixon/Agnew button on the back of my backpack, and my cubicle has a Nixon/Lodge button adorning one wall.

Ha! Thanks for the video. I haven't heard that song since 72! Think they put that video together to go after the young voters? The only thing missing was everyone drinking Pepsi. Got to love the shots of Tricky Dick with Mao and Leonid.

I think I'm finished with this Spitfire - I'll post some shots soon. Guess I need one of those RFI threads too.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

On 8/9/2016 at 11:56, Beard said:

I think it's the radiator housing.

Ah, of course! The simplest things sometimes trip up the simplest minds. I was scratching my head because you can only see one side of the housing, and my mind immediately said "pylon" and I couldn't get that kind of shape out of my mind. Thank goodness I put the radiators on the model, so I don't have to go back and fix it. Ich bin ein dummer kopf!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

That's a really nice model Bill. Good call to miss out on the line wash, your shading looks a lot more convincing :thumbsup2:

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

The RFI post is up, and you can view it here. Thanks for coming along for the ride, and I hope you tag along for my next project, building that big bad Buccaneer. I'll leave you with a couple of photos of the finished model.

IMG_0563

IMG_0561

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 18

I'm gonna make a note of that post shading technique Bill. I've used similar methods to try and replicate fading on roundels and also as a sort of trompe l'oeil way of suggesting the rib effect on canvas covered wings - but I'd not thought to use them as post shading :banghead: Must practise.

Mind you it's the skill and judgment in application that's the key - and I think you've judged it beautifully for 1/72 on this little Spitfire.

I also think you did right in (only) emphasising the control surface lines wth a pin wash. Bravo sir. Once again you somehow make it look delightfully effortless.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Bill,

As a coda to this story I was in Brussels Air Museum last week looking at their Spitfire FR XIVe SR55, which once was MV246.

image_zpsuhbzobka.jpeg

And I noticed this:

image_zpsluhsvb22.jpeg

Which confirms that at least on some XIVe airframes the openings for the 303 guns were indeed still present, hence the need to cover them over as is the case with your subject, RN135. So my idea that there might be some tactical motive for painting red patches on the leading edges was complete tosh (I think that's the technical term). And your model is spot on. But we knew that already.

Justin

• Like 1

On 11/24/2016 at 05:46, Bedders said:

Which confirms that at least on some XIVe airframes the openings for the 303 guns were indeed still present, hence the need to cover them over as is the case with your subject, RN135. So my idea that there might be some tactical motive for painting red patches on the leading edges was complete tosh (I think that's the technical term). And your model is spot on. But we knew that already.

Thanks, Justin - good eye for detail. And that's a nice looking XIV - I have the Legato (AZ) kit of the bubbletop XIV and Belgian markings would look very nice indeed. I'm glad you posted those pictures!

The Legato kit is interesting, the box states that it's a XIVc, while the directions state XIVe (which is what it is - were any XIVs made with the C wing? I doubt it...). Unfortunately my copy has a moulding defect where the slot for the port exhaust stubs is half filled in. It looks like the mould wasn't cleaned properly before use. Oh well, that's what they make Dremel tools for.

Cheers,

Bill

• 2 months later...
On 11/24/2016 at 3:33 PM, Navy Bird said:

Thanks, Justin - good eye for detail. And that's a nice looking XIV - I have the Legato (AZ) kit of the bubbletop XIV and Belgian markings would look very nice indeed. I'm glad you posted those pictures!

The Legato kit is interesting, the box states that it's a XIVc, while the directions state XIVe (which is what it is - were any XIVs made with the C wing? I doubt it...). Unfortunately my copy has a moulding defect where the slot for the port exhaust stubs is half filled in. It looks like the mould wasn't cleaned properly before use. Oh well, that's what they make Dremel tools for.

Cheers,

Bill

There's a photograph of 610 Sqn machines, showing RB159 DW*D (CO Richard Newbury's aircraft) and RB167 DW*E with C wings. RM619 AP*D is often depicted in model form as a C, but the only photograph I've seen of this aircraft has the guns hidden by the wing.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bedders said:

I think all the first ones, i.e. the RB series (RB140-189), had c wings. Everything after that were finished with e armament, though some had the 303 guntubes whilst probably the later ones didn't.

The Legato kit includes markings for MV268 (JEJ) and TZ114 (L), so the E wings should be OK?

Cheers,

Bill

For my money Bill, yes definitely e wings. I don't think any of the low-backs had c armament in service. Which means that the Duxford 'MV268' is incorrect...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=duxford+spitfire+xive&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj4xu2Dt4HSAhVKJ8AKHRdGCqYQ_AUIBygB&biw=1024&bih=768#imgrc=fYdJmQzdA4I6QM:

Hopefully a 'real' BM Spitfire expert will be along soon to remove any doubts!

Justin

• Like 1