Say 'Fromage' (1/72 Mauboussin Corsaire) ++ FINIS ++

CliffB

My entry to the GB will attempt to recreate this scene.

pollono1_zpszcm3ycfs.jpg

As I see it, Mum and son are being held aloft in the plane, while proud Dad takes a photo.

150x150 will accommodate the plane, Dad and the fence OK, but unfortunately no cars or buildings!

The Corsaire is a fairly basic, Dujin resin kit:

P1090273_zpskebsds3w.jpg

I actually started this as part of last year's French Fancy GB, but stalled almost straightaway! The only progress I made was to start to rectify the shapes of the two cockpit openings, which should be teardrop shaped, not circular.

P1090275_zps3hrndnzi.jpg

I will try to do better this time :winkgrin: .

Unfortunately I seem to have a very full modelling schedule this year and my 'Master Plan' shows this one not receiving my attention until September (my first build as a 60 year old :waiting: !).

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 5

Hi Cliff and welcome. Glad to see this one is possibly going to come to fruition. Interesting looking kit you have there too! I will look forward to seeing this one in September, if not before.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's a beautiful aircraft. The vignette scene is superb, extremely French right down to the cars!! :)

You'll have to know your onions for this one....

:coat:

Best regards

Tony

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Stix.

It's third in line at the moment, after a troublesome Harrier and this weekend's Blitz Build. I'm hoping to start and finish the vignette in September....

Thanks for asking :)

Cliff

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hooray!  I'm finally in a position to make a start on my Corsaire vignette :)

I bought a 150x150 picture frame to act as the base, although it turns out that this dimension relates to the glass size, not the outside of the frame :doh:

Hopefully all is not lost though, as I will be building onto a laminated plasticard insert which I've made to fit within the frame and this is only 145x145.  There will be no overhang either, so hopefully this is all OK...

P1090777_zpsjrauyrot.jpg

As you can see, I've found a photographer in my spares box (I've no idea where he came from), so now just three more figures to find!

Cliff

• Like 2

Hi Cliff. I'm glad to see this one in progress. The frame looks fine to me - the wings are well within it - although it wouldn't be a problem if one was a bit over as long as the vignette scene itself is with 150mm x 150mm area. Good news on the photographer too! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I've been looking forward to this one Cliff. It's great to see it getting underway :thumbsup: .

Good luck with your figure search.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Thank you Stix and Tony :)

I've been cracking on, tidying up all the kit parts ready for assembly.  Here they are:

P1090778_zpsliyjxp53.jpg

Generally, the bits cleaned up really well, but unfortunately the wheels were unusable due to a severe case of mould mismatch :(. Luckily, I found some suitable replacements in my spares box (ex. Airfix Sea King) - even the hub detail is right!  I also separated the elevators from the tailplanes to provide the droop which visible in the original photo.

You'll notice that I've finished correcting the shapes of the cockpit openings and I've also installed a simple plasticard floor (just to tidy things up).  Apart from the kit's seats, I won't be adding any additional interior details as you won't be able to see much once the figures are jammed in.  While looking for photos on the web I came across these.  Truly outstanding work, especially considering how basic the kit is :worthy:.  Rest assured, my effort will be nowhere near as good.....

Finally, I've been through my (not very extensive), collection of 1/72ish figures.  Here's the best that I've come up with!

P1090780_zpsxkxsawfa.jpg,

From left to right:  Dad the cameraman, Mum in the front seat, Son in the back seat and 'Uncle' holding up the plane.  Obviously some surgery will be needed to achieve the desired results - fortunately all, bar the Afrika Corps, are rigid plastic :thumbsup:

Off now to give everything a good scrub......

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 4

Thanks for your comments guys, they are appreciated :)

A little more progress to report today.  Firstly, here's the completed cockpit.  Thankfully, little will be seen of it later.

P1090792_zpsfraf0qou.jpg.

I've also been working on the two cockpit figures.  Both have had hair cuts and have also had their heads turned to the right, to face the cameraman.  I've also given Mum some figure (not too much or she won't fit in the cockpit :winkgrin:), plus turned her trousers into a skirt using putty.   Here they are, along with Mum before surgery (an Airfix Scout pilot). 

P1090791_zpstamaovvw.jpg

Mum's hair may need more work (although it does look pretty wierd in the original photo too - no offence:coat:).  Son required much less work and hence looks much better :D.   He's not holding a newspaper in the original photo, but I'm inclined to leave this alone as the basic stance is pretty good.    Here they are again, this time posed loosely in the Corsaire.

P1090789_zpsbh1kefhj.jpg

It looks a bit odd like this, but when compared to the original photo it's not too bad.  Within the constraints of the baseboard, I'm having to compromise slightly on the position of the cameraman and hence Mum and Son are not looking quite so much to the right.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

There's been slow progress with my Corsaire, but I now have something to report.  The flying surfaces are on!

P1090804_zpsaltbaunn.jpg

As you can see Mum's now on board too, although still awaiting her finishing touches.  Underneath, I had to add a plasticard fillet as the wings were thicker than the corresponding bits on the fuselage.

P1090805_zpszmhn5orp.jpg

More importantly I've had a very special delivery, some Galettes St.Michel - as advertised on the plane :coolio:.  The plane flew in this scheme in the 1950s and was used to tow an aerial advertising banner.

P1090806_zpsowioy5j9.jpg

I was interested to see that the galettes are still being made and so I thought it would be a nice touch to buy some (any excuse).  In fact, due to minimum mail order requirements, I ended up buying seven packets. Fortunately, they are actually quite nice!

You'll notice the chicken logo on the packet.  This is also reproduced on the underside of the plane - you can just make it out in this picture.

mauboussincorsaire6_zps7paqnoed.jpg

Unfortunately, there are no decals provided with the kit so that's going to be my next challenge :o

See you later

Cliff

• Like 4

Apologies for the late arrival Cliff. but now I am here I must say that this is looking great, and should make a nice little scene when it is finished. I wouldn't chance eating the Galettes though, whilst I am sure that they are delicious they look as though they could have been made around the same time that the photo was taken. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Thanks Chris and John.

Without wanting to go all 'Bake Off' on you, I have to say that the galettes are actually very good.  They may look slightly burnt, but this makes them really crisp and, with all the butter in them, gives a distinctive 'caramelesque' taste. Particularly nice with coffee.

I've got a few packets going spare if anyone wants to make me an offer! :D

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

Just fantastic :D 

I burst out laughing when I read that you bought seven packets! :rofl: 

The things we do!

Now I really want to know what they taste like, so guess I'll have to buy seven packets to find out!

If this carries on, with around 18,000 members on BritModeller, Galettes San Michel are going to be wondering why they're suddenly having to work overtime and having a global sales boom :frantic: .

The advertising on your Corsair is working, 65 years later :D !

The Corsair is coming along very well; nice job on getting the fuselage, fillet and wings all faired in so nicely.

You're doing the late Mr. Dujin proud, and this Gallic vignette is a pleasure to watch unfold.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

On 12/10/2016 at 6:43 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

You're doing the late Mr. Dujin proud, and this Gallic vignette is a pleasure to watch unfold.

Best regards

TonyT

Thanks Tony.

Believe it or not, when Mr Dujin passed away there was a proposal here on BM for a Dujin kits Group Build.  There was some interest, but sadly not enough for it to happen....

Meanwhile, my little build continues to creep forward.  The ground works are finished (just some turf and tufts - as per the photo), and the Corsaire now has its main colour.  Unfortunately, my LHS was sold out of 'St. Michel red', so I've had to make do with Xtracrlylix's 'Red Arrows red' instead.  I'll leave this to dry thoroughly overnight, before hopefully starting the masking for the sunburst pattern tomorrow.

Cheers

Cliff

P1090828_zps6hslmshh.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you Stix :)

I had a fun time last evening putting together the artwork for the decals.  They are not perfect, but I'm very pleased with the results given that I've just used standard fonts and a St. Michel chicken image that I found on the web!

Galettes%20Decals_zpsmhhm667q.jpg

I'll be printing them on my inkjet printer (once the white decal sheet has arrived in the post!).

Cliff

• Like 5