HMS Victorious R38 - looking for pictures

Hi Dave, I'm looking at Page 95 in Anatomy of the ship, up to September 1965. I can send a scan to your private email, but can't put it on the forum because of copyright.

Dave

No worries Dave, I have the book, so will have a look. The pictures I saw on the internet showed her island flush with the hull

victorious_r38from_essex_cva9_1958.jpg

Hi Dave, that is an earlier shot. Looks like a Scimitar aft of the island, and by 65 she was flying Sea Vixens. Interesting picture though, with lots of our Atlantic cousins on board!

If you look at the earlier threads on this section, 'British Warships in East Africa 1950-65 there is one picture of HMS Albion with Victorious beside her showing the 'Alaskan Highway from astern....

Not huge, but capable of enlarging.

John

She certainly had some mods in her lifetime. Good find Ant. :thumbsup:

Strange you should say that, I've got a long held ambition to convert the Airfix 1/600 kit into various renditions of Victorious (well probably 2 renditions actually, 1 as she was after the rebuild and 1 of the last fit before the controversial fire that led to her final decommissioning). I'm using the Anatomy of a Ship book as my major reference, and I've already got a couple of kits put aside, trouble is the kit is very much of it's time and is so basic that it requires a huge amount of work just to make it look like a model rather than a toy.

• Like 2

That's the theory. Cut it off at hangar deck level, then work up deck by deck, then cover the sides. I'm certain I've seen something where someone was dealing cutting out the openings on the quarterdeck, but maybe it was just one of my nightmares.

I have made a start by cutting out the new flight deck.

Dave, British Aircraft Carriers by David Hobbs, Seaforth publishing has a distant photo of the Stbd side, also in the centrefold there are some copies of GA as fitted drawings from September 1958 The book gives references of NMM J8808 and NMMJ8809 Stbd side and flight deck level. They appear to be part of a 12 sheet set 1/8" to the foot. Not sure if the NMM has an online resource or if you can obtain copies. Sorry its not possible to scan the pictures without damaging the book.

• 8 months later...

I am trying to build the Airfix kit and would like to know.

I wish to build it as she was on her last deployment.

What colour is the flight deck? Green as in the instructions?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

For her final deployment, she had a dark grey deck with red dashes down the centre-line of the landing area; each red dash (rectangle) was bounded by a fine white.  Here is a link to an overhead view and if you Google HMS Victorious you will find quite a few overhead views.  Here is a link to some plans which show the final layout (scroll down).

HTH

Mike

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Hi davepb,

Several photo gallery's on: flickr hms victorious.

Hope this will be of any help to your project.

By the way, it looks like they are burning some old tires.

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

Edited by Orion
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/25/2021 at 1:42 AM, capricekor said:

Work on a "modernized " Victorious circa early 80s in service with the RAN as a what if “HMAS Victorious”.  

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fQvK3gzEsoBcmYrRA

Fixed!  Nice work. (But needs extensions to the Catapults like on HMAS Melbourne.) 

Edited by Rob S