Revell German U-Boot Type XIII / 1/144

OK so a little birthday prezzie for myself saw this in the local model shop and thought Hmm that looks new and apparently it is all new instructions in color and new style box similar to the new Flower class Corvette that I also have now :winkgrin:

So will be getting under way with this soon when I stop making a mess of another project that is getting in the way.

IMG_2935_zpsfvbhrjwe.jpg

IMG_2936_zpsmiyl4uvb.jpg

Beefy

• Like 5

I'll be following this with great interest Keith, I managed to get hold of the Bronco 1/35th Type XXIII from a store in China. Still sitting in the stash :yahoo::thumbsup::yahoo:

Might get around to fixing my shipbuilding mojo :analintruder:

• Like 2

Hi Beefy its Revell's re boxing of the ICM kit, will follow with interest. Have six trumpeter ones to build in the same scale with variations.

All the best Chris

Cheers Chris thought that it maybe something like that

I'll be following this with great interest Keith, I managed to get hold of the Bronco 1/35th Type XXIII from a store in China. Still sitting in the stash :yahoo::thumbsup::yahoo:

Might get around to fixing my shipbuilding mojo :analintruder:

Cheers julian I have the 35 scale one in the stash also but doing this small one for now as the old MOJO is failing me to but that is more work and real life getting in the way :badmood::banghead:

Beefy

Was taking a photo of something else when this little one sneaked in at the corner at the Northern Model show but I hope I can get mine to look like this

1bf593c4-f1f1-40f8-9d16-8ff7113e53a2_zps

Will be following this one with interest.

A very simple kit,

I have to say the new Revell instructions are fantastic, shame they are still using the end opening boxes...

I have one in my stash, the main reason I haven't thought about doing it yet because I was unsure which boat to model due to poor reference material available.

I also have the trumpeter version, I was intrigued by the closed conning tower variant, but again, Icouldn't find reference to any boat which had them.

• Like 1

Hi Sam I will just do this version OOB going for the training version with the yellow stripes on the sides. B)

Unless I get side tracked with some small details that is :blink:

Beefy

I remember a lot of discussion on Jimbo's site during Gotrek and Al's builds of the 1/35th Type XXIII about the color of the stripe on the tower. Opinions were divided if it was yellow or white in reality.

With neither choice being supported by photos, (only black and whites available), I would probably go for yellow due to the nice contrast that gives :coolio::winkgrin:

• Like 1

I remember a lot of discussion on Jimbo's site during Gotrek and Al's builds of the 1/35th Type XXIII about the color of the stripe on the tower. Opinions were divided if it was yellow or white in reality.

With neither choice being supported by photos, (only black and whites available), I would probably go for yellow due to the nice contrast that gives :coolio::winkgrin:

Julian I was going to go for the yellow stripes as you say makes it a bit more eye catching but looking at the decals I will not be using them not very good they look a bit to thick on the sheet so will be painting them on.

looking at adding some detail as i progress will replace the ladder runs at the front of the tower and drill some of the drain holes as I made a bit of a mistake with the last sub build did not open them up until later in the build and nearly dropped a right clanger :weep:

But if I get in early I can at least cover it up if it goes bang on me :winkgrin:

Beefy

• Like 2

Julian I was going to go for the yellow stripes as you say makes it a bit more eye catching but looking at the decals I will not be using them not very good they look a bit to thick on the sheet so will be painting them on.

looking at adding some detail as i progress will replace the ladder runs at the front of the tower and drill some of the drain holes as I made a bit of a mistake with the last sub build did not open them up until later in the build and nearly dropped a right clanger :weep:

But if I get in early I can at least cover it up if it goes bang on me :winkgrin:

Beefy

Have you done a recheck of Gotrek and Al's builds? Most informative because those guy's went banana's to wring every last ounce of details out of those builds.

:coolio::winkgrin:

• Like 1

Just had a look back through that one Julian that was an epic build and Dio that Gotrek did not saying Al did not do a great job

but will have to spend Sunday morning reading back through that all again. :book::Tasty:

Got some ideas from it and will need some help the raised part on the hull deck is wood lats / grates any ideas about how to do this in 1/ 144 might need to enlist Mr Longshanks ?? :fight:

Beefy

• Like 1

OK photos of work so far on the torpedo ??

Needed to use a lot of clamps to get the hull half's together

IMG_2946_zpsdgffgenz.jpg

Then the sanding of the seam lines Big ones in this scale

IMG_2948_zps7oxsiuni.jpg

IMG_2949_zpsjbew9bxn.jpg

To Drill or not to Drill that is the question ??

IMG_2950_zpsdycj1ot6.jpg

Beefy

• Like 3

Just had a look back through that one Julian that was an epic build and Dio that Gotrek did not saying Al did not do a great job

but will have to spend Sunday morning reading back through that all again. :book::Tasty:

Got some ideas from it and will need some help the raised part on the hull deck is wood lats / grates any ideas about how to do this in 1/ 144 might need to enlist Mr Longshanks ?? :fight:

Beefy

Evergreen strips?

• Like 1

As you asked sooo nicely :winkgrin: my thoughts would be......

Did a quick google and found a pic of a guy who appears to be painting the conning tower. From this I would guess the wood deck is approx. 600mm (24") wide, planks would be max 150mm (6") wide, more likely 100mm (4" ) x 50mm (2") thick.

At 1/144 you are looking at planks 1 to 0.7 x 0.34mm thick with 0.34mm spacing between. Achievable in Evergreen strip. However planks this size would have to be supported by a frame, is this practical on the kit without being obvious? If it were me I think I would go with a single strip and scribe the planking on.

If your going for natural wood bear in mind that the grain will not show at this scale. I would go for Model marine ply which is extremely fine grain and scribe the planks. Plank lengths would probably be about 4.8m (16').

As for colour to represent the wood I would paint/wash the individual planks in slightly different shades.

Just my thoughts, hope it helps....

Drilling out all those holes that's down to you buddy :banghead:

Kev

PS If you need some ply PM me

• Like 2

Evergreen strips?

Don't drill.

If you were you should have done that before, it will look bad if you can't thin the plastic or clean up the holes I ruined a IIB U boat kit doing that.

As you asked sooo nicely :winkgrin: my thoughts would be......

Did a quick google and found a pic of a guy who appears to be painting the conning tower. From this I would guess the wood deck is approx. 600mm (24") wide, planks would be max 150mm (6") wide, more likely 100mm (4" ) x 50mm (2") thick.

At 1/144 you are looking at planks 1 to 0.7 x 0.34mm thick with 0.34mm spacing between. Achievable in Evergreen strip. However planks this size would have to be supported by a frame, is this practical on the kit without being obvious? If it were me I think I would go with a single strip and scribe the planking on.

If your going for natural wood bear in mind that the grain will not show at this scale. I would go for Model marine ply which is extremely fine grain and scribe the planks. Plank lengths would probably be about 4.8m (16').

As for colour to represent the wood I would paint/wash the individual planks in slightly different shades.

Just my thoughts, hope it helps....

Drilling out all those holes that's down to you buddy :banghead:

Kev

PS If you need some ply PM me

thanks lads you have made that crystal clear to me now :banghead:

Sam think I will just try and emphasize the holes with a black oil wash

Kev thanks for that info the raised part on the hull I will sand down and use some thin evergreen strip with about X4 light score marks on it and when painted will give this a coat of dark brown oil paint I will then use a stiff brush to get a fine wood grain look to it and see if that works ???

Beefy

• Like 2

OK so after good advice I have removed the raised lump on the upper hull and added a couple of strips of thin evergreen.

Then it started it has got to be with watching you lot I can no longer build from OOB I had the mad idea of removing the molded hand rails on the front of the tower and replaced with 0.3 mm brass rod what have i caught off you lot :shrug:

IMG_2951_zpsbeztw7k2.jpg

IMG_2954_zpszgtyubfb.jpg

IMG_2955_zpsxchzvkgl.jpg

And got some new additions at the LHS will try out these new paints on this project

IMG_2952_zpsqmgzsxie.jpg

Beefy

• Like 5

Brass rungs are looking good

Kev

Thanks again Kev :book:

And so it begins LOL, I hope that typhoon in the background is for a Red October Conversion Beefy?

All the best Chris

Not sure when that will get done Chris but could be a one to put on the back burner for now.

Cheers

Beefy

• Like 1

Hi mate, bit late in the day but your right to go with yellow for training colours, I'll bring in the info I've got on Thurs night,though you've probably already got it lol.

Dave

• Like 1