Airfix Sea king decals missing varnish? Airfix answers

Rodders154

I have purchased the Sea King mk3 and have found that the decals are not fully"varnished" See picture below.

Is mine a one off or is a fault on them all like the canopy was on the 1/24 Typhoon.

The areas are marked I dont want to soak them off to find I have problems if anyone has the same kit can they have a look to see if theres has the varnish missing also. No point asking Airfix for new if they are all the same.

Area marked is where there in no varnish.

That said I have a spare old airfix mk3 set 2 sets of modeldecals with a yellow and a grey falklands A/C and the modelart set so it isnt that big a problem

dec.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality of picture and on a slant but I know that britmodeller dont like pictures that can be used to make copies

Rodders

I would imagine that all Sea King decal sheets from the same batch would have the same problem.

I made Falklands Gift Set models for Airfix to show at SMW when it was about to be launched in 2007 and the decal sheet had the carrier film missing from a few decals. I asked Airfix for replacements but every single sheet in the batch they had was the same. I ended up covering the dodgy decals with Klear.

As others have said, a couple of coatings of Mcroscale Liquid Decal Film will sort your problem out.

Dave

If the whole batch is the same then quality control needs looking at. Yes it is easy to put on some liquid decal

I will more than likely do it as a grey whale seems a shame that the kit is spoilt by the decals especially as I cannot see this aircraft and scheme being done again by after market manufactures

May even convert it to an HAS2 who knows

Rodders

Great! Message: "If you buy an Airfix kit, it may have missing, warped, incompletely moulded or otherwise defective parts. If so, tough. You are completely on your own, even if the kit concerned has barely hit the shops." Ou est l'Airfix d'antan, you know, the one that had the absolutely first-rate customer care section? NB I am not blaming the people who work (worked?) in it, who are probably as heartbroken as we are.

That said, I am not altogether convinced you have a problem. I have the same kit and my sheet exhibits exactly the same features. But the absence of transfer film is always on characters that are "open", eg letters G, E and F. If you look at the XZ596 serials, there is film inside the "closed" bottom circle bit of the "6" but none inside the "open" loop at the top. You'll also find there is no transfer film inside the "7" of "70 YEARS OF LIFE SAVING". I think Airfix may just have been very clever (and ambitious) in keeping transfer film to the absolute minimum they can without compromising the integrity of the whole transfer. Let's hope it works - and well done Airfix if it does. Good luck!

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 1

Great! Message: "If you buy an Airfix kit, it may have missing, warped, incompletely moulded or otherwise defective parts. If so, tough. You are completely on your own, even if the kit concerned has barely hit the shops." Ou est l'Airfix d'antan, you know, the one that had the absolutely first-rate customer care section? NB I am not blaming the people who work (worked?) in it, who are probably as heartbroken as we are.

That said, I am not altogether convinced you have a problem. I have the same kit and my sheet exhibits exactly the same features. But the absence of transfer film is always on characters that are "open", eg letters G, E and F. If you look at the XZ596 serials, there is film inside the "closed" bottom circle bit of the "6" but none inside the "open" loop at the top. You'll also find there is no transfer film inside the "7" of "70 YEARS OF LIFE SAVING". I think Airfix may just have been very clever (and ambitious) in keeping transfer film to the absolute minimum they can without compromising the integrity of the whole transfer. Let's hope it works - and well done Airfix if it does. Good luck!

YOU ARE RIGHT

Just floated off the RAF and it came off in one piece and was able to stick it to a piece of card

Will email Airfix to offer apologies

Rodders