1:72 CMR de Havilland Sea Venom FAW.53

That's about as good as it gets!

Add a huge pat on the back from me to Steve for the never ending help, guidance, and advice he so willingly offered.

Ian

• Like 1

Fantastic job as usual, Bill. Not a huge fan of the Sea Venom per se, but always a fan of your work!

Did you ever build a Fujimi F-4K? It sort of seems like one of the missing pieces of the puzzle... maybe a Sea Harrier too.

Brilliant Job. You should show it to Roy Sutherland and Lee Coll.

-d-

• Like 1

Thanks Michael! I used Gunze H333 Extra Dark Sea Grey (post shaded with H331 Dark Sea Grey) and Gunze H74 Sky (post shaded with H95 Smoke Grey).

A lot of the credit for the detail goes to CMR and their exquisite castings. I would love to see how they make their master patterns!

Thanks Keith! When I first got the kit I was surprised at how small an aircraft it actually is - the photo with the Sea Venom alongside the Sea Vixen is a great comparison!

Thanks - I will try to do better next time! The work you're doing on the two Hawks is great motivation for me! :):):)

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill - that helps.

Again, a very nice build - gone be happy if my CMR builds turn out only half as good as yours.

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 1

The best finished Venom I have seen.

Interesting AC in a very nice and bright color scheme.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!

On 6/19/2016 at 17:07, Meatbox8 said:

A really nice looking Sea Venom and a great collection. Wouldn't it be good if Airfix released an injection moulded one.

Agreed - Airfix did a nice job with the Vampire T.11, so a similar effort on the Sea Venom would be great.

I have to hand it to CMR, though - they have just about every mark of Vampire, Venom, and all their derivatives covered. The resin kits are not as easy to build as an injected kit, but they're not that difficult. And even though they're more expensive, when you add up all the aftermarket stuff that I would normally buy for an injected kit, the costs are comparable.

On 6/19/2016 at 19:18, limeypilot said:

That's about as good as it gets!
Add a huge pat on the back from me to Steve for the never ending help, guidance, and advice he so willingly offered.

Ian

Steve was an incredible help during the build. He even went into the museum on a Sunday to take some pictures for me. I hope I did justice to WZ895, and I hope he got back home in time to stoke up the barbie! :)

On 6/19/2016 at 23:59, David H said:

Fantastic job as usual, Bill. Not a huge fan of the Sea Venom per se, but always a fan of your work!

Did you ever build a Fujimi F-4K? It sort of seems like one of the missing pieces of the puzzle... maybe a Sea Harrier too.

Brilliant Job. You should show it to Roy Sutherland and Lee Coll.

-d-

Sure, I built the Fujimi kit. Here it is with the Sea Venom and the Revell Gannet (sorry, no Sea Harrier yet):

IMG_0102

The Fujimi kit was built back when it first came out, so I don't think it's up to my current standards. I'm curious as to why you think Roy Sutherland would be interested - was he connected to the Sea Venom in any way? And I'm afraid I don't know Lee Coll. Can you tell me some more?

On 6/20/2016 at 03:05, Tomoshenko said:

Magnificent Bill. Bookmarked the thread as a reference source. What kit is the Vixen?

The Sea Vixen started out life as the MPM kit. I gave it a *few* modifications, and bashed it with parts from the Xtrakit version, aftermarket resin, and photoetch. Maybe even some scratchbuilding here and there. Here is its RFI post.

I think I'll do Ginger Lacey's Spitfire XIV next, using the AZ kit. In parallel, I'm going to resurrect my old F7F Tigercat project, which has been languishing on the shelf of doom for far too long. Although, my dear daughter went out (on her own!) to the local hobby shop and got me the Trumpeter 1:72 Su-24M Fencer D kit for Father's Day. What a dear! Of course, she wants me to build it now...such decisions.

Back to the workbench!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hi Bill

Hope you are okay fella, sorry I missed the end of this build but I will be catching up and have added to my favs so I can use when I build my Sea Venom. what a stunning job it looks absolutely superb, what a great finsh, thanks for sharing. The others look fabulous too.

Thank you for sharing.

All the best
Chris

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
12 hours ago, Hobo said:

Is the Scimitar and the Buccaneer the CMR kits also?  

Yes, sir. The RFI for those two are here:

The Scale Resin Buccaneer S.1 is related to the CMR kit, but completely new tooling:

Cheers,

Bill