Revell KLM 747-400 1:144

Adam,

I read that the wing incidence is a real problem, it makes the inboard engine nacelles touch down if built OOB. The wing trailing edge position seem to be ok but it is the leading edge that creates the problem. I will check if I can find the build article that mentions the modifications to be made.

Revell will soon be re-releasing it with an Iron Maiden tour decal sheet thankfully designed by my hero DACO and hopefully printed by Cartograf.

• Like 2

I have built the Revell 747-400 and although I read that there are errors with the wing, I built it OOB and don't have any of the reported problems with the engine nacelles touching down.

411404809.jpg

That is a great build, well done ! I have seen on airliners(dot)net nice photos of this 747-400 in a very sorry state, it is a great subject for weathering. You did just great on it !

I will find out the topic mentioning about the engines touching down, perhaps was it with the RB211-524H in the BA release.

• Like 2

Another thing to watch for is the strange bulged shape of the nose below the cockpit. I'm not certain whether that's been corrected (I don't see it on that lovely freighter, for example) but it's certainly there on my Lufthansa bird that I built from the first issue lo, these many years ago.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the replies. Techniquest, you've pulled that off superbly. It's good to hear you didn't encounter any issues. It's highly unlikely but could certain kits be worse than others? I've always suspected it when certain modellers have issues when others don't. Although the same mold is used, there could be inconsistencies with each model produced. The new 747-8 by revell is spot on, I've had no troubles what so ever and the fan blades are just heavenly.

Thanks once again everyone 😊

Adam

It's highly unlikely but could certain kits be worse than others? I've always suspected it when certain modellers have issues when others don't. Although the same mold is used, there could be inconsistencies with each model produced.

Adam

I would suggest that the inconsistencies are more to do with the modeller that individual examples of the kit. Few of us will admit to that of course.

Chris.

• Like 1

I can even spot new white paint patches you did, just like on the real bird, splendid ! Would you have other photos to share ?

Here are a couple more photos of my 747 as requested by UpperDeck. By the way, I wouldn't be surprised if there there have been a few subtle improvements made to the mould over the years, as implied by Jessica, in terms of general shape. The biggest problem I had with the build was the wing to fuselage join: the locating pins are nowhere near large enough to hold the weight of the wing so it makes for a tricky bit of work.

411404810.jpg

411404808.jpg

• Like 4

Adam,

I read that the wing incidence is a real problem, it makes the inboard engine nacelles touch down if built OOB. The wing trailing edge position seem to be ok but it is the leading edge that creates the problem. I will check if I can find the build article that mentions the modifications to be made.

Revell will soon be re-releasing it with an Iron Maiden tour decal sheet thankfully designed by my hero DACO and hopefully printed by Cartograf.

I can't for the life of me, remember which airliner modelling site i got this from, but this illustrates the wingroot problem and a solution;

747wingrootMOD_zps87ycxfgc.jpg

Cheers, Tony

• Like 2

I built the Revell BA 747-400 with the RR engines.They sit quite fine and are not touching the ground.

I made some corrections to the nose but otherwise its built OOB.I only overdid the re-scribing on the panel lines.It looks more serious on the pics than on the actual model.

Here my RFI,

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234988113-revell-boeing-747-436-ba-landor-scheme/

• Like 1

Hi Adam

During my build of a BA 747-400 I felt that the fuselage was pretty flimsy considering the weight of the wings and that it was flexing too much. So I made a set of thick plastic discs to use as fuselage strengtheners, a bit like a vacform model. They definitely made the fuselage feel much stronger.

Here is a copy of the template I made, sorry I don't have the scale dimensions but it can be simply scaled to the fuselage inside diameter.

Also is a pic of the finished build in the BA OneWorld scheme - in my view when built OOB its unmistakeably a 747-400.

Hope this helps

Tim

B744-Reinforcements.jpg

B744BAoneworld.jpg

• Like 6

Here are a couple more photos of my 747 as requested by UpperDeck. By the way, I wouldn't be surprised if there there have been a few subtle improvements made to the mould over the years, as implied by Jessica, in terms of general shape. The biggest problem I had with the build was the wing to fuselage join: the locating pins are nowhere near large enough to hold the weight of the wing so it makes for a tricky bit of work.

411404810.jpg

411404808.jpg

Hi Techiquest - really like the finish on this bird!

Hi Adam

During my build of a BA 747-400 I felt that the fuselage was pretty flimsy considering the weight of the wings and that it was flexing too much. So I made a set of thick plastic discs to use as fuselage strengtheners, a bit like a vacform model. They definitely made the fuselage feel much stronger.

Here is a copy of the template I made, sorry I don't have the scale dimensions but it can be simply scaled to the fuselage inside diameter.

Also is a pic of the finished build in the BA OneWorld scheme - in my view when built OOB its unmistakeably a 747-400.

Hope this helps

Tim

B744-Reinforcements.jpg

B744BAoneworld.jpg

Love this livery Tim! Out of curiosity, what size are your concrete slabs?

Mike

Out of curiosity, what size are your concrete slabs?

Mike

Hi Mike - we're straying off topic but the slabs are 2 inch 50mm squares - which represents 24ft squares at 144 scale. Apparently airport concrete slabs are in the range 20-25ft square for optimum load bearing performance. Cheers, Tim

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/27/2016 at 10:53 PM, Tony Edmundson said:

I can't for the life of me, remember which airliner modelling site i got this from, but this illustrates the wingroot problem and a solution;

747wingrootMOD_zps87ycxfgc.jpg

Cheers, Tony

I don't understand the reference to "sanding away plastic above A and B." How much plastic is sanded away?

Look carefully at the corner of the wing slot where B is. Do you see where the line cuts across the wing slot before it reaches point B? Drop a vertical line from that and remove the plastic from that line back to the end of the slot. See how there's an open space in photo 2 that wasn't there in photo 1? That's what to remove. The instructions aren't very clear.

2 hours ago, Jessica said:

Look carefully at the corner of the wing slot where B is. Do you see where the line cuts across the wing slot before it reaches point B? Drop a vertical line from that and remove the plastic from that line back to the end of the slot. See how there's an open space in photo 2 that wasn't there in photo 1? That's what to remove. The instructions aren't very clear.

Okay, got it. Thanks.