Revell HP Victor

9 hours ago, gazza l said:

I think I'm going to make use of those 

photo-etch FOD covers.

Nooo don't do that! It would be such a waste of money to have those lovely intakes only to put a cover on them. Could you not use some thin strips of low tack tape, mask the area and respray the white?

Oh, I almost forgot, a tip that may or may not be of any use to you down the track, but instead of using tape on the insides of the blue-tac sausages, try using glad wrap - much cheaper than using all that tape and it's much easier to shape. Plus you can re-use it

Edited by Madhatter
  • Like 1

Superb, kit bashing at it's best. The intakes on the real aircraft took a bit of a hammering from frequent inspections of the compressor blades by keen engineers and were subject to dirty coveralls and boots. They were touched up by painters and finishers during scheduled maintenance and rarely stayed pure white. So a touch up on your intakes would tie in on an aircraft fresh from scheduled maintenance.

Bob.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Madhatter said:

Nooo don't do that! It would be such a waste of money to have those lovely intakes only to put a cover on them. Could you not use some thin strips of low tack tape, mask the area and respray the white?

Oh, I almost forgot, a tip that may or may not be of any use to you down the track, but instead of using tape on the insides of the blue-tac sausages, try using glad wrap - much cheaper than using all that tape and it's much easier to shape. Plus you can re-use it

I think if I use anything slightly sticky for masking the paint will just peel off again... I'm guessing there must have been some grease/ oil left inside, despite a vigorous wash before hand.  This evening I tried touching up the bare bits with a paintbrush with mixed results.

Thanks Madhatter for the tip but I'm not sure what glad wrap is!

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, 

gazza l

Update time!

It's been a bad week regarding progress... one step forward, two steps back. I've managed to break off a pitot and then crack the fuselage joint, plus I decided to re-work

the intakes.

I sanded the intakes back to the resin, removing a couple of fins to aid sanding. After masking the outside I resprayed with Halfords Appliance white.

005_zpsniip9clh.jpg

On the plus side I did manage to get a few of the other bits done without any major disasters. The HDU complete, I used Little Car coloured lenses for the lights and Milliput for the drogue basket with the Flightpath photo-etch front.

001_zpsa4adokcv.jpg

HDU assembled. 

003_zpsr39lei0f.jpg

Undercarriage complete.

002_zps9rv82k4p.jpg

Undercarriage bays done.

004_zpsadup0wzm.jpg

Hopefully now, no more disasters, gazza l

Edited by gazza l
  • Like 7

Just read through this from the start, can't believe I've been skipping passed it all this time! Absolutely superb build, and especially liked those exhausts and that drogue basket. Such a shame about the intakes but I am sure you can pull it off. Really looking forward to seeing this come to fruition.

Bob

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, as you say Woody37 nearly there. 

This evening I resprayed the intakes and surrounding camo colours and then very tentatively removed the masking tape... I'm happy to report it all went well!

So this week I can get on with decalling, there aren't to many so it should be quite quick.

Rgds, gazza l 

• Like 1

Evening all,

I have managed to get the decals on over the last few days, these have now been sealed with a few coats of Future. I will give this a few days to harden off before I commence with an oil wash to dirty it all up.

Just a few of photos, it took about half an hour to upload these three to Photobucket... is it just my old PC or is it the world's slowest site?

001_zpsdc0zltyh.jpg

Very bright and garish, I need to tone the colours down a little

002_zpsfxk5bzdf.jpg

And finally the wing pods in progress.

003_zpsj4irfyiw.jpg

Cheers, gazza l

• Like 12

This is looking great, the HDU really rocks with those coloured lenses! As to Phototurd, its not your PC, they really are crap. Sorry, they are not even that good. Try Post Image, they seem to be OK.

Martian

• Like 1

Absolutely superb! Best looking Victor I've seen.   :)

I haven't been having any Photobucket problems (touches wood) - are you guys using the "free" accounts? I pay for the "privilege" of having  a "premium" account - I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Or maybe my electrons don't have to travel as far since I'm in the US? Who knows...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I haven't been having any Photobucket problems (touches wood) - are you guys using the "free" accounts? I pay for the "privilege" of having  a "premium" account - I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Or maybe my electrons don't have to travel as far since I'm in the US? Who knows...

Cheers,

Bill

A fair point Bill. The trouble is why would anyone risk their cash based on the performance of the free service? Its great you have had no issues but I would want to see more than one person recommending it before I risked my very limited money. This is a shame as on the very rare occasions it does work, the site is good, especially the editing facilities. What would be best would be if there was some way BM members could upload directly to the forums but I guess that that would be prohibitively expensive? Still we can but dream.

Martian

7 hours ago, Victor K2 said:

My only criticism on your epic K2, it should have a "fist and spear" on the fin.

I would agree that 'Nil nos tremefacit' would be superior to 'Corpus non animum muto' (having been on the ( R ) form of both).

Nevertheless that's a fine looking Victor. I just hope that (when I get a round tuit) mine comes out as well!

• Like 1

Terrific work, gazza! I've turned upside down one of yer piccies on the previous pages 'n' I'm now usin' it both as a screen saver AND wallpaper on my computer. Luvly! It's like I came in to refuel.

'Bout Photobucket, it's such a pain in the neck every time I need to upload piccies that I've quit uploadin' 'em at all.

Free account.

Cheers,

Unc2 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cashman said:

Beautiful work - I'm almost inspired to drag mine out of the stash and jump the queue ^_^

Go on, get it out, you know you want to... I've still got a couple of jet pipe sets if you're interested. :whistle:

t

10 hours ago, Victor K2 said:

My only criticism on your epic K2, it should have a "fist and spear" on the fin. Then it would be the most perfect, 100% truly greatest, Handley Page Victor K2 model in existence or even as Clarkson would say "In the World".

Bob.

Sorry to disappoint you Bob, the 55 Sqn decals are included in the kit but are for the hemp scheme, which personally I find a bit bland.

23 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Cheers,Billy.

Thanks Billy, for the kind words. Regarding PB, I am using the free account so maybe that is the problem, so many adverts to load up before you can do anything... but it is definitely getting slower.

Thanks for all your kind comments ladies and gentlemen.

gazza l

Hello all,

This week I managed to get all the decals on and sealed with a another coat of Future, followed by an oil wash and then this sealed with a few coats of Alclad semi matt cote. 

I've also started to add various bits and pieces and she's now standing on her undercarriage...  I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel!

021_zpsejegjrnt.jpg

The underside also had a very light grey panel line wash again with oils. Artouse APU added along with the centreline HDU.

023_zpsfoj08vu0.jpg

I blanked off the jet pipes with plastic card, painted the inside with Tamiya NATO black.

024_zpsbe1bpe5c.jpg

Then Araldited them in place.

025_zpsfwlyggso.jpg

Thanks for looking, gazza l

• Like 11

I was right! Its does look every bit as good as the new Airfix Victor as modelled by our own General Melchett in the latest issue of Airfix Modelworld.

Martian