Sukhoi Pitot Probes and Gun Barrels. 1:48/1:72

Sukhoi Pitot Probes and Gun Barrels
1:48/72 Master

packs.jpg

With the large number of kits released of Russian aircraft, with some of the more obscure stuff being released lately, it’s good to see Master Models releasing a range of pitot probes in both 1:48 and 1:72 scales. The sets reviewed here have something new though, resin parts that represent the complex array of sensors that these probes have. Each resin part is also carefully protected within a resin square with a stick tape backing. You will need to take care removing these parts, and recommend a fine pair of tweezers, as the fine probes could easily be broken. Due to the nature of the 1:72 scale parts, and my lack of a macro lens I have only photographed the 1:48 sets, but be comforted in the knowledge that even in the smaller scale the details are the same.

[AM-48-119/AM-72-103] – This set is for use with the Sukhoi Su-7 Fitter A and includes not only the prominent three piece nose mounted pitot probe, complete with a resin vane section, but also the fin pitot probe and two 30mm cannon barrels. The instructions are very clear and give the modeller the dimensions of the drills required for each part and markings on the parts show how far they are to be recessed into the kit parts.

su7.jpg

[AM-48-120/AM-72-104] – This set is for the Sukhoi Su-9/Su-11 Fishpot C, as with the Su-7 set, this set includes a three piece nose mounted pitot probe, with resin vane section, the sinpler fin mounted probe, and instead of gun barrels there are four pylon rail heads, for which the moulded kit parts have to be removed first.

su9.jpg

[AM-48-121/AM-72-105] – Designed for the Sukhoi Su-15 Flagon, this set includes two multi-part pitot probes, one four piece probe for the early Flagon A, with one resin part and a later five piece probe for the Flagon F, with two resin parts. The single piece wing-tip probe is also included.

su15.jpg

[AM-48-122/AM-72-106] – This set is designed for use with Sukhoi Su-17/20/22 Fitter kits. This has the complex five piece probe fitted to the right hand side of the nosecone, a choice of two styles for the left hand probe, and two 30mm cannon muzzles. Again, the instructions are nice a clear, showing what sized drill is required for which part.

su17.jpg

[AM-48-123/AM-72-107] – This is on the simplest sets within this cluster, and is designed for the Sukhoi Su-24M. It contains just the pitot probe, which consists of three parts, including the really complex resin section. The instructions do state that you will need to shape the kits nose cone to shape, so that the rear section of the probe fits flush. I’m not sure how this would work with the replacement resin nose cone on the market.

su24m.jpg

[AM-48-124/AM-72-108] – The last set in this batch is for the Sukhoi Su-25 Frogfoot. It contains two pitot probes, the complex three piece for the right hand side of the nose and the simple single piece probe for the left side. Once again the resin section needs to be seen to be believed, as the complexity is amazing.

su25.jpg

Conclusion
Just when you think Master Models have reached the pinnacle of their profession, they bring out something new. The way the resin vane and sensor sections of the probes have been reproduces is quite amazing, added to the clever way to protect them in the packets, makes for a superbly detailed product. Very highly recommended

Review sample courtesy of Piotr at
logo.gif

• Like 5

Just used one of these MM products for the pitot tube for my Eduard MIG 21 SMT and the finesse they add for the price of a pint and a half of lager is tremendous! I will be getting the SU-11 set when available.

Thanks for an excellent review.

Gary

Edited by redcap

haha... I've just ordered two set of the Su-7 ones. I just couldn't be bothered trying to use the kit probe with tiny AM PE fins, did that with and Su-17, it just about did my head in!!

Already have a set for the Su-17/20/20, they are just works or art, the vane assembly is truly some amazing casting work! I still need to get another set for the second Su-17 (bugger should have ordered it at the same time!!).