1/72nd Airfix Hurricane- Converted into a Sea Hurricane used by 129 Sqn RCAF, Nova Scotia 1942-43. Alley Cat resin wings.

Hiya Folks,

I`ve been building a pair of Airfix 1/72nd Hurricane kits with the addition of the later metal wing provided as a resin after market item by Alley Cat and had been hoping to show you them both here,.....but a final varnish disaster left the left wing of my second model looking like it had whitewash applied,.....so it has had to be repainted! The WIP is here; http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235002106-172nd-metal-winged-hurricane-mkiusing-the-new-alley-cat-resin-conversion-set/

Here is the RCAF Sea Hurricane model, built as an aircraft of 129 Sqn RCAF based at Dartmouth, Nova Scotia circa 1942-43. These Sea Hurricane`s were diverted to the RCAF from a batch intended for the Fleet Air Arm and were featured in a superb wartime colour film, which was used as reference for this model. Most had their `Royal Navy' titles painted over but this one didn`t. They also had the previous unit markings HA overpainted and replaced by 2+ codes, the other unit stationed ar Dartmouth with Sea Hurries wore 1+ codes and by the time the film was made the arrester hooks had been removed, although the catapult spools remained.

To make the catapult spools on the model I drilled holes in the rear fuselage and inserted a length of plastic rod, while the forward spools next to the radiator were scratched using plastic card and rod. A pilots head rest was also made from scrap sprue. The model was brush painted using Aeromaster Extra Dark Sea Grey, Pollyscale Dark Slate Grey and Humbrol Sky,.... as these colours seemed to be the best match for those applied to the real aircraft. The red and yellow for the spinner were also Humbrol enamels, as were the black and white eyes. With all of that,....here is the model;

DSCF8019_zpssxrodrzs.jpg

DSCF8015_zpsqaxgfhwp.jpg

DSCF8014_zpsnbq1sjwf.jpg

DSCF8021_zpsmcz4l0yf.jpg

DSCF8019_zpssxrodrzs.jpg

DSCF8027_zps5gwvxdkx.jpg

DSCF8012_zpsygbdnygv.jpg

DSCF8019_zpssxrodrzs.jpg

DSCF8022_zpsg0ywmumb.jpg

DSCF8025_zpsrpyk8oqf.jpg

DSCF8017_zpss4aqvbmm.jpg

Sorry for posting loads of pics,......I hope that you like it and thanks to my Canadian mate Jim Bates for his help with research.

Cheers

Tony

PS,.... Here is the real aeroplane in a still from the film;

Untitled-7_zpsgsaqyyhy.jpg

Here is another still showing some of the other aircraft;

Untitled-4_zps51vstdct.jpg

The painted out HA codes can just be made out on most of the Sea Hurri`s,

And here is a link to the film;

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 55

Very nice indeed Tony, love the attention to detail with regards to the repainted port fuselage section under the cockpit and sorry to hear of your varnish mishap on the other model, hope you can get it all sorted satisfactorily - well done!! :Tasty::thumbsup:

Kev :)

• Like 1

A great looking Hurricane. I was hoping someone would model that aircraft having seen the film, Well done for figuring out it was 127 Sqn RCAF too. There was some debate about which unit this was. I has assumed it was an OCU.

• Like 1

Thanks everybody for your kind words,....glad you like it.

A great looking Hurricane. I was hoping someone would model that aircraft having seen the film, Well done for figuring out it was 127 Sqn RCAF too. There was some debate about which unit this was. I has assumed it was an OCU.

I cannot claim the credit for figuring out the unit, that goes to my Canadian mate Jim Bates. All I knew was that it was an operational RCAF unit flying Sea Hurricane`s from the Canadian Car & Foundry line.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

A crisp restrained Sea-Hurri. Always good to see the original photos a build has been based upon - gives a nice historical 'flavour' to the piece.

Top work Tony!

Regards,

A different Tony

• Like 1

Another top notch hurricane subject and model Tony! Also great to see the history to it and your references, they do look a bit of a rag tag bunch which makes for interesting models!

Rob

• Like 1

Hi there Tony.........as always, super job on that Canuck Hurricane.

That spinner really makes it stand out amongst the rest.

Nit-picking here, but your 2 seems rather underfed........... :winkgrin:

Keep up your good work mate.

Cheers,

Etienne.

Edited by Etiennedup
  • Like 1

Hi there Tony.........as always, super job on that Canuck Hurricane.
That spinner really makes it stand out amongst the rest.
Nit-picking here, but your 2 seems rather underfed........... :winkgrin:
Keep up your good work mate.
Cheers,
Etienne.

I know mate,.... but it was the best match that I could find in my spares box,......... quite a hard style to find. The A is a bit thin too if you want to really nit pick.

Cheers

Tony

• 6 months later...

Great to see a Hurricane model done in RCAF colours, and with a spinner too!

It's interesting that these Hurricanes retained the "Royal Navy" on the rear of the fuselage. Pity the story behind this is probably lost to history.

• Like 1

How the heck did I miss this? Lovely works, as usual, Tony. I always like seeing Canadian content, especially this one. I was born and grew up in Nova Scotia, about an hour's drive from Dartmouth. I've been to the airbase at Shearwater, too.

Chris

• Like 1