Latin Sabre (more added - and a Latin neighbour!)

Hi all,

A quick snap of my latest, although sadly not a great photo as I took it with my phone in the excitement of completion!

She is one of a batch delivered from McClellan AFB to Venezuela prior to the 1958 revolution, hence the older style roundels. She is a Fujimi kit with some added resin. The decals were partly home made, partly robbed from a F-47 and partly reprinted from a dreadful Aztec set I had acquired that I was fleeced on! :(. I painted the tail stripes and added 1mm white stars individually.

A few mistakes, particularly the positioning on the red rear fuselage line, but it was a too late when realised. The fuselage roundels are slightly too big too, but hey ho!!!

I hope you like her.

Martin

See later Flickr images

Edited by RidgeRunner
move to Flickr
  • Like 18

Here are further, and possibly better, images of my Venezuelan Sabre. The third and fourth images are on my other recent completion - "658" of the Bolivian Air Force. Again it is a Fujimi F-86F-40. In fact the Bolivians got their Sabres from Venezuela. The markings are for the initial camouflage scheme, mimicing that of the Argentine aircraft. They were maintained in Argentina, hence the scheme. These were the last Sabres operational in the world!

Martin

sabreven

sabrevenrear

sabrebolfront

sabrebol

Edited by RidgeRunner
move to Flickr
  • Like 20

Thanks Trevor.

The 4-tank load was standard. The inners are 167US gal and the outers are 200USgal. There are a number of images of Venezuelan, Peruvian, PMTC Sabres in this configuration.

VEN1

M

Edited by RidgeRunner
move out of PB
  • Like 5

Thanks Trevor.

The 4-tank load was standard. The inners are 167US gal and the outers are 200USgal. There are a number of images of Venezuelan, Peruvian, PMTC SAbres in this config.

North_American_F-86K.jpg

M

Lovely photo……….That Sabre in the foreground is a great subject for the super detailer……all those panels off and some really highly polished flying control surfaces. Thanks for sharing !

love it!! i am too from Venezuela and plan to make a few venezuelan war brids. So far i've got an F-16, Mirage III and a Sukhoi Su-30, but a Sabre is in the plans :)

• Like 1

Hi Will,

Thanks a lot. The Bolivian roundels were from the Blue Rider Chaco War set. Good luck with your build.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Nice builds and decal choices Martin, more please, hope you saw my recent post for a Venezuelan 1/72 Academy OV-10 Bronco.

Kind of curios what was the problem with the Aztec decals sheet, always had good results from using those sheets ?

Regards Colin.

Hi Colin,

Yes, I saw your Bronco and "liked" it at the time. I love anything a little different, and always in 1/72, and your build fitted the bill perfectly :).

Like you I have had good results from Aztec sheets, for my Mustangs, for example. The Sabre set is hard to find and I got it from the "famous" auction site and it came from a chap in Arizona. On reflection I am sure that he had re-printed the set or hadn't stored it very well. The decals simply crumbled when they got anywhere near water. I reckon I was duped! I complained but got nowhere. :(.

Martin 

Edited by RidgeRunner

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Martin!

Nice work on these exotic looking Sabres. The four tanks configuration looks very unusal and impressing. Are the smaller tanks from the Heller kit?

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

Beautiful work i love the F-86 in any markings. Ive learned that if you photocopy decals so that you can re-print them later it destroys them. Something about the light/heat affecting the inks cohesion. I know this from a friend who tried this. He was in a build with multiple aircraft from the same unit and thought he would save money (same markings just need to replace serial #'s and little things). Anyway he wound ip spending more to replace the originsls he ruined. So im thinking that may be what happened to your decals.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mario said:

Are the smaller tanks from the Heller kit?

Hi again Mario! Yes, they are. The only place I could find them.

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Beautiful work i love the F-86 in any markings. Ive learned that if you photocopy decals so that you can re-print them later it destroys them. Something about the light/heat affecting the inks cohesion. I know this from a friend who tried this. He was in a build with multiple aircraft from the same unit and thought he would save money (same markings just need to replace serial #'s and little things). Anyway he wound ip spending more to replace the originsls he ruined. So im thinking that may be what happened to your decals.  

You may be right there!

Glad you all like them.

Martin

• Like 1